Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hack reviewer from Texas completely missing the point of the Mirage

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Hack reviewer from Texas completely missing the point of the Mirage

https://youtu.be/iES-UlaqG3k
    I got into it with this hack. Calls himself an expert/enthusiast and completely misses the whole point of the car. I can handle the insults about the look, interior, slowness etc. but when you go after the reliability of Mitsubishi, I gotta say something. Basically calls the Mirage a money pit and that all our CVTs will burn out at 50k miles.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    My handle is Magnuscat, we go back and fourth petty arguements. If you get a chance dog pile on this smug, pompous buffon. Oh and I got Mirage Forum mentioned om here!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My handle is Magnuscat, we go back and fourth petty arguements. If you get a chance dog pile on this smug, pompous buffon. Oh and I got Mirage Forum mentioned om here!
    The Mirage is not for everyone. The Mirage is affordable, reliable, & very economical. Apparently, some people aren't interested in those qualities. I don't lose sleep over that.

Comments/Reviews from Mirage owners hold a much greater value to me. According to kbb.com, the top 10 selling vehicles in 2018 have the following consumer ratings -

Equinox = 4.5/5
    Corolla = 4.3/5
    Civic = 4.4/5
    Camry = 3.9/5
    CR-V = 4.3/5
    Rav4 = 4.4/5
    Rogue = 4.3/5
    Ram = 4.6/5
    Silverado = 4.5/5
    F150 = 4.8/5

How does the Mirage compare? 4.8/5, which isn't bad for a car that some non-owners consider a junk car! There isn't a top 10 selling vehicle in the U.S. that has a better consumer rating than the Mirage, and only the top selling vehicle in the U.S. ties it.

If I paid $50,000+ for a Ford F150, I would almost feel obligated to rate it high. What's impressive is a cheap little economy car that's rated just as high by consumers. Even the car critic snobs shouldn't overlook that!

https://www.kbb.com/mitsubishi/mirag...intent=buy-new

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Reviewers always get it wrong. As you say, they completely miss the point of the Mirage and bag on it for not having enough horsepower, being too noisy, etc.

The Mirage is designed to do three things: be reliable, be inexpensive, and be economical. It does all three of these things very well, but reviewers all think every new car buyer wants the fastest, heaviest, most complex car then can get for their money.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-03-2019),Pryme (04-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    If you let harsh reviews get to you, owning a Mirage will be a frustrating experience.

I bought my Mirage because I like it and from Forum member testimony, not because of what reviewers think of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-03-2019),Pryme (04-12-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Its the first review Ive heard describing the Mirage CVT as a money pit. Plus it wasnt very subjective at all. Something had to said.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Its the first review Ive heard describing the Mirage CVT as a money pit. Plus it wasnt very subjective at all. Something had to said.
    "Subjective refers to personal perspectives, feelings, or opinions entering the decision making process.

Objective refers to the elimination of subjective perspectives and a process that is purely based on hard facts."

Reviews from guys like this are purely subjective. Thus, I wouldn't take a dude like this very seriously, nor would I care about what he thinks. Overall, many American car reviewers are quite lame when it comes to small cars.

I spent some serious time researching the Mirage prior to purchasing one. I quickly realized who (car snobs) was missing the point of the Mirage. Even the reviewers that work for Consumer Reports, Kelly Blue Book, & Edmunds are sort of clueless about small cars in my opinion.

Thus, I focused my attention on European reviews of the Mirage. I did a lot of research on the Mitsubishi Space Star. Europeans embrace small cars. Europeans drive small cars. I spent some time in Finland prior to the purchase of my Mirage. While in Helsinki, I don't remember seeing a full size pickup truck. The same can't be said for where I live in rural Wisconsin.

These were probably the two European reviews that helped me the most. I took particular interest in the first one, because he was driving a manual version of the Mirage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVi3hYruIqU

This second review was also very complete, & it was done with a CVT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf1rHTU3SDE

When I looked up these reviews from the past, a light bulb moment came on for me. I purchased a Mercury Gray Mirage, & both of these reviews were done with a Mercury Gray Mirage. It may have subconsciously impacted my color choice!

I just remember these reviews as being very complete and well done. They were also done by guys who understood the purpose of small economy cars. I still remember the moment when I watched the first reviewer take his 5 speed Mirage on the Autobahn, & it confirmed what this car could do! It was a big selling point for me. These guys help erase some of my concerns created by reviewers who don't get small economy cars.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Damn overseas models with more stuff. I absolutely love that dash tray above the glove box. I wonder if it would be possible to put that into mine instead of the stupid delete filler panel that's in there.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    There is extra bracing behind that filler panel on US models. That is why we don't get it here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    There is extra bracing behind that filler panel on US models. That is why we don't get it here.
    Darn it! Screw safety I want tray hahaha. Even if it was a smaller tray to accompany the bar or whatever it is.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...