Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air conditioner not very cold

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Air conditioner not very cold

This is in my 2019 Mirage ES 5 speed. Manual HVAC controls, not the fancy digital one.

So maybe I'm used to my old Chryslers and my Toyotas but the A/C in this thing isn't all that great. On the highway going 70 it can get really cold but it cycles the compressor so it won't stay that way all the time. Around town moving slow or idling it's definitely colder than outside but not refrigerator cold like other cars I own and the compressor still seems like it cycles a lot when it shouldn't. I was near the dealer I bought it and they checked it. Said ambient temp was 77 degrees and air temperature was 47 degrees coming out of the vent by the driver and also the pressures were okay. The service guy there told me the Neon's air conditioner was way colder than the Mirage and it's part of the system to not drag the little 3 cylinder down too much.

It has an appointment with Biggers who seem to know what they're doing tomorrow. But wanted to check with anyone else to see if this is just normal for the car or if it's not right. I know a lot of Toyotas and Chryslers use variable displacement compressors so when they click on they literally stay clicked on ALL the time instead of cycling on and off.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

I had a few cars last week that had some ac problems. O et.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:34 AM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rescheduled appointment for Wednesday. Should be the hottest day this week.

I checked out the latest car, the lower(low press
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:34 AM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I checked out the latest car, the lower(low pressure from compressor to evap) ac line rubbed a hole on the compressor pulley. This is the third car in a month that's happened to. The first had a torn belt that snagged the line and bent it towards the pulley, the second car hit something low on the passenger side pushing the rad support back bending the ac line into the pulley. The third one, has no signs of hitting anything but I think the belt split a few months ago and could have bent the line at the same time?
    Great points to know! Even if you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, it's nice to point your mechanic in the right direction.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-05-2019 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Great points to know! Even if you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, it's nice to point your mechanic in the right direction.
    It is an easy to replace line. One bolt at
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2021 at 12:35 AM.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll make sure to check that but it's only got 6700 miles on it so it better not be broken in that way haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I'll make sure to check that but it's only got 6700 miles on it so it better not be broken in that way haha
    We've heard from a few owners that their refrigerant levels were very low from the factory. I checked mine a couple of months ago, it had a very low charge. Recharged the AC myself for $25.00. My AC compressor is much quieter now, doesn't cycle as much, and blows colder air. But living here in the ever so mild Oregon Coast I only run it about once a month to keep the compressor oiled. There are the 4 or 5 days all year where AC might be nice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmm... well I'm make sure to make a point to that to Biggers so they know. I don't think they sell many Mirages (mostly SUV's) so they're not aware as much of the goofy issues they have. I get heat sickness especially when I'm in the car so good working air conditioning is a must for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Biggers said the system was low so they evacuated it and recharged it with some dye in the system to check for leaks. It still doesn't work that good so back it goes tomorrow.