Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Doing first long distance road trip in the G4, rostra cruise installed

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The seats in the G4 have more support and feel more plush compared to my 2014 hatch. Still though, after 3 hours driving my azz was killing me, fiancee said the same thing. Pulling over to rest every 2 to 3 hours helped immensely. Wrist fatigue was abundant in the G4, just like my hatch. For those on here delivery or ride sharing with a Mirage, my hat is off to you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Look...it takes some effort and the right driving conditions to consistently average 45+ mpg in these cars. Given your current driving trip to Florida, you aren't in the ideal situation to get big MPG numbers. But decent numbers in a Mirage are still pretty good!
    It doesn't take me any effort to get 46 mpg. I simply hop in my car, get on the interstate and set the Rostra cruise control to 70 mph.

Granted, most of my route is flat, but it doesn't take me any effort at all to get good gas mileage. I simply hop in the car and go.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use my air conditioner.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    It doesn't take me any effort to get 46 mpg.
    Yes...anyone can get 46 mpg in a single trip under the right conditions. I'm talking about tracking your fuel mileage and consistently getting 45+ mpg over time. If it was that easy, then why are the majority of people in the Fuel Economy Log not getting those numbers?

I'm just trying to set realistic expectations. Dirk...start monitoring every drop of fuel you put in your Mirage and let us know how easy it is to consistently net 45 mpg for an entire tank of gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Yes...anyone can get 46 mpg in a single trip under the right conditions. I'm talking about tracking your fuel mileage and consistently getting 45+ mpg over time. If it was that easy, then why are the majority of people in the Fuel Economy Log not getting those numbers?

I'm just trying to set realistic expectations. Dirk...start monitoring every drop of fuel you put in your Mirage and let us know how easy it is to consistently net 45 mpg for an entire tank of gas.
    yah, if you want to see what 70k miles of tracking looks like take a peek at my fuel log.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    It doesn't take me any effort to get 46 mpg. I simply hop in my car, get on the interstate and set the Rostra cruise control to 70 mph.

Granted, most of my route is flat, but it doesn't take me any effort at all to get good gas mileage. I simply hop in the car and go.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use my air conditioner.
    You also drive a 5 speed! It's been mentioned that a Rostra cruise (vs factory cruise) may vary more with a CVT Mirage, but I don't know myself? I wouldn't hesitate adding a Rostra cruise to my 2017 ES manual, & I have taken note that owners like you are happy with them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I always get 46-49mpg out of a tank avg. The only thing I do is just drive how I normally drive. No lead foot and brake lightly. I basically drive like there is an egg on the brake and gas.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You also drive a 5 speed! It's been mentioned that a Rostra cruise (vs factory cruise) may vary more with a CVT Mirage, but I don't know myself? I wouldn't hesitate adding a Rostra cruise to my 2017 ES manual, & I have taken note that owners like you are happy with them.
    The Rostra cruise seems to only work well on flat surfaces for me. Any kind of up hill grade and surges to 5000 rpm, extremely jarring in hilly North Georgia.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The Rostra cruise seems to only work well on flat surfaces for me. Any kind of up hill grade and surges to 5000 rpm, extremely jarring in hilly North Georgia.
    I think that will be the defining difference between the two cruise controls. Although the Rostra functions correctly and is a pretty easy install it doesn't behave the same way as the OEM cruise does (with good reason). The OEM cruise is integrated into the ETACS and with the OEM cruise control activated the CVT aggressively seeks the lowest rpm possible and will hold it far longer than normal driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another thing would be the fact that the factory cruise is tied into the traction control. It will disable cruise if it senses possible hazards conditions.. I have heard of people very quickly having to swerve and cruise turning off..
    I do not believe the rosta kit has this feedback or capability.
    I must say I was very impressed with the traction control program in the mirage. In previous cars I would have to turn it off in some winter conditions. I have actually found the mirage traction control very functional.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    I have actually found the mirage traction control very functional.
    I agree.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)