Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing first long distance road trip in the G4, rostra cruise installed

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Doing first long distance road trip in the G4, rostra cruise installed

Hi guys. Here to report comfort differences in long road trips, 2017 G4 vs 2014 Hatch. We just installed Rostra cruise control in G4, going to give an opinion on how it does as well.
    I did a 700 mile round trip from Atlanta to Charleston SC, comfort was mediocre with no cruise control. This was before I installed a memory foam seat cover, center console armrest with elbow buddy, and suicide knob for wrist fatigue. These items have made a big difference in overall comfort.
    We are however taking my lady's G4 for a 1400 mile Atlanta to St. Pete FL. Were going to pop the center console and bigger convex mirror in her ride. A rostra cruise unit has just been installed, her seats are more supportive, and she has a quality window tint on all windows (except front windshield). I got a feeling the G4 will be the better touring car, but her vehicle is louder! She had a brand new engine put in before we bought the ride (previous owner apparently didnt do regular oil changes) and I feel like it hasnt broke in yet concerning cabin noise.
    Ill post differences in both rides when trip is over. Name:  20190510_154114.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  92.9 KBName:  20190503_091453.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  83.1 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Name:  20190604_161623.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  94.9 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Leave tomorrow morning. Cant wait to try out the Rostra cruise unit!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It sounds as if we think alike. I’ve got a Rostra cruise control unit in my 2014 and it was $300 well spent. There is no way I would screw with programming the ECU on one of these cars to install a home brew cruise control when Rostra makes perfect stuff that works right off the shelf. Rostra unite are pricey but they work. Plain and simple.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Leave tomorrow morning. Cant wait to try out the Rostra cruise unit!
    I’ve loved all of my Rostra kits in all of the cars that I’ve installed them in over the years. I’m sure that you will too!

How is the center arm rest? Is it long enough to rest your elbow on while holding the steering wheel? I can do that with my left arm but it gets sore after a little while because the door panel surface is hard plastic. I was thinking of getting an arm rest but didn’t know if it would do what I want it to do.

I’ve recently bought and installed WeatherTech mats all the way around, including in the hatch. I love them! Fantastic products that are well worth the price.

Next on my list is a pet hammock for the back seat. The hatch area is too small for my two dogs and I don’t want to have the seats down with them roaming around. I found a nice one on Amazon for $35.

I’m possibly going to get front seat covers as well, but haven’t found any that I like just yet.

So, hopefully all those items will make for much more comfortable road trips - dogs included.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    There is no way I would screw with programming the ECU on one of these cars to install a home brew cruise control when Rostra makes perfect stuff that works right off the shelf.
    Generally speaking, I would also be nervous about using some hacking software on a laptop to tell my ECU that my car has cruise control installed. But enough people have done it at this point (and no one has bricked their ECU...yet ) that I would go for it. I'd probably just drive up to Doax's house and pay him to do it for me.

If you have a Mirage with a CVT, remember that the ECU works with the transmission to control freeway RPMS. It's been demonstrated that if the ECU knows that a CVT-equipped Mirage is using cruise control, it will more aggressively reduce the engine RPMs. So there's probably some fuel savings that you are giving up by going with an aftermarket cruise control versus a "factory" type cruise control properly integrated with the ECU (if your Mirage has a CVT).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'd probably just drive up to Doax's house and pay him to do it for me.
    I must admit that I've had that thought, too! I really like what Daox created for the addition of cruise!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    If you have a Mirage with a CVT, remember that the ECU works with the transmission to control freeway RPMS. It's been demonstrated that if the ECU knows that a CVT-equipped Mirage is using cruise control, it will more aggressively reduce the engine RPMs. So there's probably some fuel savings that you are giving up by going with an aftermarket cruise control versus a "factory" type cruise control properly integrated with the ECU (if your Mirage has a CVT).
    Steve has a manual, & he probably doesn't care. You may have popped Dirk's bubble of excitement a little, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol, I did it and was way more concerned trying to get it to work on my laptop than hooking it into the car... lol backwards thinking I know... but I have had many more computer problems than car problems....
    Love the simple steering wheel controls and factory look and parts.. all said and done less than 200$.
    Ps, dirk,, not concerned at all about the bike and racks hurting the cvt.. mines a 5 speed..
    Another thing I noticed is the factory cruise seems more stable than any of my previous cruise control vehicles..
    Only experience with Rosta cruise was in my brothers 1980 Toyota carola wagon.. the car I learned to drive stick in. It functioned fine but had hill lag then would overshoot..
    sorry for little off topic.. safe travels

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Generally speaking, I would also be nervous about using some hacking software on a laptop to tell my ECU that my car has cruise control installed. But enough people have done it at this point (and no one has bricked their ECU...yet ) that I would go for it. I'd probably just drive up to Doax's house and pay him to do it for me.

We just got down here and we noticed we never got more than 33 mpg the whole ride! Id say about 50% of the drive was utilizing rostra cruise control. It was two adults, luggage, combined weight of 425lbs. We avg about 75 mph the whole way down 500 miles Atlanta to St. Pete, AC on Medium, could this cause this? Also the G4 engine is brand new, the first one exploded and was replaced according to the Mitsu service department by the previous owner. Im worried I made of made a mistake getting the rostra installed?