Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Doing first long distance road trip in the G4, rostra cruise installed

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You also drive a 5 speed! It's been mentioned that a Rostra cruise (vs factory cruise) may vary more with a CVT Mirage, but I don't know myself? I wouldn't hesitate adding a Rostra cruise to my 2017 ES manual, & I have taken note that owners like you are happy with them.
    Remove the CVT when it fails and replace it with a manual transmission. Problem solved.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Remove the CVT when it fails and replace it with a manual transmission. Problem solved.
    I think that discussion has come up in another thread started by someone with a dead CVT. I doubt that would be a simple switch?

Every vehicle I have ever owned has been a manual. It's my first sort when looking at vehicles. I like simple!

Might not be too bad of a swap if you didn't care about things like having the check engine light on all the time, having to push the clutch to start it or reverse lights. The cheap and dirty way would be grab a transmission, pedals,shifter, clutch cable, shift cables and a few pigtails for the reverse switch and speed sensors. Axle's might be different too. Could hack up the harness to make it only start when the clutch is pressed and get the reverse lights working. Ideally to get everything working properly I'd grab the entire under hood harness(which goes into the firewall) along with all the computers it's connected to. So basically buy a complete car and swap everything over. Probably not worth the effort for a lot of people.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Might not be too bad of a swap if you didn't care about things like having the check engine light on all the time, having to push the clutch to start it or reverse lights. The cheap and dirty way would be grab a transmission, pedals,shifter, clutch cable, shift cables and a few pigtails for the reverse switch and speed sensors. Axle's might be different too. Could hack up the harness to make it only start when the clutch is pressed and get the reverse lights working. Ideally to get everything working properly I'd grab the entire under hood harness(which goes into the firewall) along with all the computers it's connected to. So basically buy a complete car and swap everything over. Probably not worth the effort for a lot of people.
    I think you lost me on the first sentence!

Then again I don't like cooking either. When someone starts telling how they made something, I usually stop them half way through. I am just honest with them & tell them that's way to much work for me. Throwing it all in a crock-pot and hope it turns out is more my style!
    Last edited by Mark; 06-12-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think you lost me on the first sentence!

Then again I don't like cooking either. When someone starts telling how they made something, I usually stop them half way through. I am just honest with them & tell them that's way to much work for me. Throwing it all in crockpot and hope it turns out is more my style!
    I bet a Mitsubishi croc pot would kick ass!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It isn't complicated to change from an automatic to a standard transmission providing you have a good donor car. I know a guy who did such a swap in about 15 minutes. It involved some metal plates, a drill and a hand full of pop rivets.

I know a guy who did such a swap in about 15 minutes.
    Attachment 14787
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-13-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Sarcasm^
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It isn't complicated to change from an automatic to a standard transmission providing you have a good donor car. I know a guy who did such a swap in about 15 minutes. It involved some metal plates, a drill and a hand full of pop rivets.
    What?????

He added a clutch pedal/standard transmission to an automatic/CVT vehicle in 15 minutes, & it all worked perfectly?

Wow!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update! Me and my old lady decided we were going to drive over to St. Pete from Ana Maria Island yesterday morning. We back out of the driveway and the brakes making an awful noise in reverse. We get to a Midas and they informed us in Florida, the rotors get grimey and make noise the first few miles because of salt, condensation, etc. no need to even look at em, thank God! True enough, the noise stopped. So we had to drive on the Sky Bridge to get to St. Pete across Tampa Bay. This is one of the highest, most windy bridges in the country. They actually have to close the bridge sometimes when it gets too windy! It also has one of the steepest gradients of all bridges in the US. The G4 couldnt of done better, we hit it going 70mph, AC on too. The wind was tremendous, shaking our lil toy car, but at no time did I feel close to losing control. Great test, great lil car, oh and we avg 38mph on the side trip the whole time. As Ive said before, the only 2 faults of the Mirage on road trips is wrist fatigue from constant minor corrections and leg fatigue, from the weird seat position. Both treatable with pullovers every 2 to 3 hours and stretching.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-13-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Finished the trip. The G4 performed admirably. Plus with an already half full tank at first fill up ($10) plus another fill up half way thru our 700 mile journey ($20) we used roughly 14 gallons to get from St. Pete to Atlanta with AC on. About 34 mpg averaged, not bad. It would of cost us double that to make the same journey in the old Mustang. Thank you Mitsubishi! And thanks MirageForum for guidance, as always.