Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Doing first long distance road trip in the G4, rostra cruise installed

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    across Tampa Bay. This is one of the highest, most windy bridges in the country. They actually have to close the bridge sometimes when it gets too windy! It also has one of the steepest gradients of all bridges in the US.
    Sounds like a great trip and I hope the weather wasn't too hot in Tampa Bay!

This reminded me that years ago now I drove my Mirage over Mackinac bridge in Michigan. I felt in control, yet I was almost more cautious than when driving my other cars over the years, considering my Mirage is what 60% lighter than the average car that drives the bridge. Let alone all the big trailers. And motorcycles it's another story all together for them.

People say in the early 1990s a Geo Metro flew off the Bluewater bridge into Lake Michigan at Port Huron, not sure if that is true. Someone told me that out of the blue when I bought my Mirage in 2014.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-17-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Sounds like a great trip and I hope the weather wasn't too hot in Tampa Bay!

This reminded me that years ago now I drove my Mirage over Mackinac bridge in Michigan. I felt in control, yet I was almost more cautious than when driving my other cars over the years, considering my Mirage is what 60% lighter than the average car that drives the bridge. Let alone all the big trailers. And motorcycles it's another story all together for them.

People say in the early 1990s a Geo Metro flew off the Bluewater bridge into Lake Michigan at Port Huron, not sure if that is true. Someone told me that out of the blue when I bought my Mirage in 2014.
    Its hot but the ocean breeze helps in St. Pete. The Geo Metro has so much lore attached to it lol. A cool urban legend, blowing off a bridge. The Skybridge was a perfect test for the 3 cylinder engine. No hesitation at all, the car stayed at a steady 70 mph. The wind shear was shaking us though, I was laughing my azz off, my girl wasnt laughing. She thought I was intentionally body rolling the G4. Lol. Overall trip mpg was 35. Not bad, my hatch would of gotten I think though. We had luggage, AC on med high, and was avg about 75 - 80 mph, Im satisfied.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshi...ge?wprov=sfla1
    The pictures dont do the steep incline justice, truly.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshi...ge?wprov=sfla1
    The pictures dont do the steep incline justice, truly.
    Impressive bridge. Steep incline for sure, and a tall bridge too, long way down. Must've been built like that for a reason. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable driving up this bridge, particularly on a windy day. Enjoy sunny Florida!

I could climb any tree to the top when I was a kid, now not so much haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Impressive bridge. Steep incline for sure, and a tall bridge too, long way down. Must've been built like that for a reason. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable driving up this bridge, particularly on a windy day. Enjoy sunny Florida!

I could climb any tree to the top when I was a kid, now not so much haha.
    Thank you. We're already back. The wind def shifted the G4 around, but it was fun. Just locked my thumbs at the 3 and 6 o'clock wheel position and wrested control. I was concerned we werent going to make but all for naught. These lil engines really do have heart and wanna perform for us. At one point we were doing 70 mph at 2000 rpm through Florida, amazing the efficiency of the CVT7. Now its time to conquer the Hudson Bay area lol, kidding, we would die. Im imagine alot of American tourist go out into the Great White North not knowing what theyre doing and never come back.