Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunroof Anyone? (UPDATE: sliding glass sunroof installed!)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    What about the roof bracing? Install something else to aid in that?
    Unfortunately I can't put a sun roof in mine becausein these parts it needs to be officially approved for exactly this type of car.

If I were to put one in, I wouldn't put in a small glass one like in the pix above, but rather a large foldable sort. Typically that would be much wider and longer, about four to six times more opening area. These were often an option for many new cars of different makes.

WEBASTO used to make those until very recently. A pity they don't make them any more!

On cars with a brace in the roof like ours, that sort could routinely be installed, because that style roof has its own frame.

Last edited by foama; 08-02-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    What about the roof bracing? Install something else to aid in that?
    The sunroof frame has a beam built in that is mounted to the roof side rails. There is support added. Push down on you roof right by the beam. It will push down. Come and push on mine and there is no give. People have a misconception that the sunroof is not sturdy or decreased structural integrity. If installed correctly, the rigidity is not decreased.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    The sunroof frame has a beam built in that is mounted to the roof side rails.
    ...People have a misconception that the sunroof is not sturdy
    Looking at the frame of the sunroof...if it ties into the side roof rails, you might even wonder if the structural integrity of the roof was increased by the sunroof. The sunroof frame looks more substantial than that single roof brace you had to remove.

Name:  sunroof.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  63.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Looking at the frame of the sunroof...if it ties into the side roof rails, you might even wonder if the structural integrity of the roof was increased by the sunroof. The sunroof frame looks more substantial than that single roof brace you had to remove.

Name:  sunroof.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  63.2 KB

It's possible, but that brace is 2 layers of stamped steel. It's curved and the arch is about an inch when laid down. 2 of us stood on it and it didn't bend, it's not flimsy.
    (blank signature)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Go4th (08-02-2020),MetroMPG (08-04-2020),mohammad (07-25-2022),Top_Fuel (08-02-2020)

Thanks for sharing this mod, Alex1a1f !

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Unfortunately I can't put a sun roof in mine becausein these parts it needs to be officially approved for exactly this type of car.
    It sounds like either you have WAY more regulations over there or you just worry WAY more than I do. Are you aloud to do anything to your cars their?
    It's illegal to tint your front side windows here, at least 40% of cars on the road around here have them tinted. I'm telling...
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Germany's restrictions against vehicle modifications are legendarily strict.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    So a sunroof in Germany is like a handgun in Canada?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-04-2020),MetroMPG (08-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So a sunroof in Germany is like a handgun in Canada?
    Highly regulated/restricted and not worth owning (legally) lol

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-04-2020)