Thread: Fiat-Chrysler almost buys Renault, which co owns Nissan, which owns Mitsubishii Motor

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Fiat-Chrysler almost buys Renault, which co owns Nissan, which owns Mitsubishii Motor

Mergers are everywhere in the automotive business it seems. Never thought Chrysler and Mitsubishi would go full circle together again and there you go. Fiat Chrysler was going to buy Renault, so you have one huge monopoly of car companies there if there is one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48537453

Last edited by dspace9; 06-07-2019 at 08:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Fiat Chrysler was going to buy Renault, so you have one huge monopoly of car companies there if there is one.
    It's funny. Mitsubishi isn't mentioned until the very last sentence of the article, like an afterthought.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-07-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's funny. Mitsubishi isn't mentioned until the very last sentence of the article, like an afterthought.
    Not new news Mitsubishi Motors seen as an afterthought. I believe Mitsubishi Motors is still Japan's smallest car company, that always sells better in domestic Japan. Yet hold on a minute:

Millions of Dodge Colt cars were clone Mitsubishi Mirage cars from Japan, yet sold in the USA for decades.

Mitsubishi has an oversized influence in the world rally racing scene, the vid gaming world, you name it. Mitsubishi made better small cars than Americans, back in the 1970s and 80s, during the oil crisis etc era, that I'm too young to remember myself.

The new Dodge Attitude sold in Mexico since I think 2015 is a 6gen Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan clone.
    That is coincidence and that's old news.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Not new news Mitsubishi Motors seen as an afterthought. I believe Mitsubishi Motors is still Japan's smallest car company, that always sells better in domestic Japan. Yet hold on a minute:

Millions of Dodge Colt cars were clone Mitsubishi Mirage cars from Japan, yet sold in the USA for decades.

Mitsubishi has an oversized influence in the world rally racing scene, the vid gaming world, you name it. Mitsubishi made better small cars than Americans, back in the 1970s and 80s, during the oil crisis etc era, that I'm too young to remember myself.

The new Dodge Attitude sold in Mexico since I think 2015 is a 6gen Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan clone.
    That is coincidence and that's old news.
    Yep, I owned a 76 Dodge Colt Estate wagon, my introduction to Mitsubishi and small cars. It was rear wheel drive.

And here's another fun tidbit - Renault collaborated with American Motors in the late 70s - early 80s. Renault left their mark on Jeep products of the time. When Renault withdrew, Chrysler absorbed AMC assets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    When Renault withdrew, Chrysler absorbed AMC assets.
    Nice, my parents had a Datsun with similar drivetrain, a 210 I believe.

I don't know many tidbits about Renaults like you do, however I have seen in real life a Citroen c5 with the movable suspension, and it was a sight for sure.

That was in Europe during a trip with family in the 1990s and you don't forget that Citroen sedan.