Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Totaled at 120k

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I always figure about $500 per panel or major item.

Hood, bumper, fender, headlight... core support? Inner fender? Maybe an airbag or two?

That's 8 items if the airbags popped.

And airbags these days are often more like $800.

So, yeah... could be $8500. Remember, their job is to make the car 100% exactly as it should be. YOU might choose to do a lesser repair (as would I), but if the insurance company is paying to repair your car to perfection, that's their goal. 100% perfect repair. So, they should be replacing everything that's bent, dinged, scratched, etc. They can absolutely go overboard with it. But... they should. That should be your expectation.

In this case, it's "just a Mirage". But, what if it was your new sports car? You WANT that level of repair from the body shop that's working for your insurance company to make your car right again.

And now we know why there are so many salvage and repaired Mirages out there. Doesn't take much to get one to where the insurance company is going to write it off.

Back in the early 2000's with 94-97 Miatas... it was the airbags that were the kicker. If you had JUST enough of an impact to pop the airbags (no passenger sensor, so both airbags always popped), the passenger side airbag cover would ALWAYS break the windshield. So, you'd have front bumper, hood, two fenders, headlights, an $800 windshield, and $1500 worth of airbags. Spec Miata, here we come!

Certain cars that don't hold their value (Mirage), or are unusually expensive to repair "by the book" (early Miatas) end up getting totalled a lot and become absolute bargains to "rebuild".
    Very true. In this case no airbags went off, however in the bodyshop's first estimate they did not include the windshield cost because it had a huge crack caused by the accident as well as right rear quarter panel damage...it was a larger couch an L shape to be exact and after hitting the short point of the L it slammed the longer end straight into the right rear quarter of the vehicle.

2017 mitsubishi mirage manual , redline mtl in the gearbox every 40k, mobil1 ep 0w20 along with fram ultra xg7317 every 15k

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Geojake For This Useful Post:

Loren (06-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geojake View Post
    ...it was a larger couch an L shape to be exact and after hitting the short point of the L it slammed the longer end straight into the right rear quarter of the vehicle.
    That explains it. There is certainly nothing wrong with an $1800 down payment on a new Mirage. And nothing wrong with a new odometer that reads nearly all zeros.

Sucks you have to punt the wheels/tires, though. If the car is still in your possession, I'd make a quick run to the wrecking yard and get some ugly 4 x 100 'rollers'. Might cost $40-50, but it is better than sending your wheels to the boneyard.

Hell, my car is a '15 with 120k on it. Were I given $6800 for it on a total loss I'd be tickled pink!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Thanks eggman, id love too if I could find it. Any tips on how to locate it so I can buy it at auction?
    Ask your body shop for advice. Not that I have any knowledge or experience in these matters, I would hope that you would get first shot at the purchase.

At least you know what the rear axle is like.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Lots of insurance-totaled vehicles end up at a place like Copart. If you have one in your area, you can always check there. Or just wait a week or two after your insurance settlement and search the web with your VIN number. Your car will turn up somewhere.

Here's a listing of 2018 Mirages currently at Copart facilities in the US: Copart Mirage Inventory

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Just tell your insurance company you want to buy the car back. They will sell it to you for whatever the best offer from a wrecking yard is. Sometimes, they will sell it to you for a certain percentage of the total loss amount (often 10-15%). It is your car...you don't need to wait for it to be auctioned.

I have done this several times. Insurance companies usually love this, as they get to wash their hands of the 'carcass' right away. They don't have to store it, pay auction companies, etc.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 06-08-2019 at 12:46 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-08-2019),fc321 (06-08-2019),Loren (06-09-2019),Pryme (06-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Very true. In this case no airbags went off, however in the bodyshop's first estimate they did not include the windshield cost because it had a huge crack caused by the accident as well as right rear quarter panel damage...it was a larger couch an L shape to be exact and after hitting the short point of the L it slammed the longer end straight into the right rear quarter of the vehicle.
    I haven't seen this asked or mentioned, but I may have missed it. Are you able to drive your Mirage or was it towed/hauled away?

If I put a lot miles on a car like you do, I would find out how much it would cost to make the car usable again. Let's say Cobrajet is correct. They allow you to buy the car back @15% value. $6800 x.15 = $1020.

$6800 - $1020 = $5,780 leftover. Use a couple thousand to make the car usable again and use the remainder to pay off the loan. I wouldn't worry about making the car look pretty. I would just continue to rack up miles on it like you have been doing. Given the mileage you have put on your Mirage in a short time, I would surely consider this.

If you were more of a typical car owner and only put about 15,000 miles on your car each year, I could see taking the money to buy a new one right away. If you could fix this one up and make it useful for a few more years, you would have it paid off and probably have some major money saved up for the next one. Even if I was determined to get a new 2019 Mirage, I would consider keeping this car. If the old still existed, why rack up miles on the new one? I would even consider carrying liability only on the old one once it is paid off. That could cut the extra insurance costs.

I wouldn't put a lot of money into a Mirage with 120,000 miles on it. If you could make this happen for a couple thousand bucks (& use the left over money to pay off your loan), I would consider it. Just something to think about. Everyone's situation is different.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-08-2019 at 01:57 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BecauseRaceCar (06-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Dirk Diggler - How much would you be willing to pay for a 2017 Mirage ES (manual) that has 120,000 miles on it?

The insurance company is giving him $6800 for his damaged car. It's not their fault that he still owes $5000 on it. If a $6800 payment out is criminal, how much would you be willing to pay for a base level Mirage with a manual transmission & 120,000 miles on it? What do you consider a fair price for a car like that?

If insurance companies paid off your auto loan & gave you the full value of your car on top of that, everyone would be looking for couches to smash into!
    Amen. As much as me and Dirk Diggler seem to agree, I have to disagree with Dirk on this one. These cars are worthless, and the more miles you put on it the less valuable it becomes. I doubt I would get $2,500 for my car if it were totaled at my current mileage of 252,000 miles.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Amen. As much as me and Dirk Diggler seem to agree, I have to disagree with Dirk on this one. These cars are worthless, and the more miles you put on it the less valuable it becomes. I doubt I would get $2,500 for my car if it were totaled at my current mileage of 252,000 miles.
    Any 5-year old vehicle with 252,000 miles on it is going to take a depreciation hit.

You may get $7,500 for a 5-year old Ford F-150 with 252,000 miles on it, but that same truck cost about $41,000 new. (I tried to price out the same trim level 5-years apart.) Given that amount of depreciation, I could buy almost 3 new Mirages.

Your car may not be worth much, but you also didn't pay much. If I had a car like your car, I would drop comprehensive/collision insurance coverage. You aren't going to get much anyways. Liability has you covered for the important stuff. You take out someone's $50,000 Lexus in an accident. Their vehicle is covered. You cut your losses on your old car and replace it. In the meantime, you enjoy operating a car for very little cost. Plus, you seem to be a safe/cautious driver. You have a true beater car!

All vehicles become less valuable as you rack up the miles. That's why I own a Mirage! I'd much rather rack up the miles on it verses my Subaru. I'd also much rather replace a Mirage over most anything else!

When I sold my 1990 Ford Festvia in 2004, I was paying $99 for 6-months of car insurance (liability only). Selling that car before it died was one of dumbest moments! I am not making that same mistake with my Mirage!
    Last edited by Mark; 06-08-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Any 5-year old vehicle with 252,000 miles on it is going to take a depreciation hit.

You may get $7,500 for a 5-year old Ford F-150 with 252,000 miles on it, but that same truck cost about $41,000 new. (I tried to price out the same trim level 5-years apart.) Given that amount of depreciation, I could buy almost 3 new Mirages.

Your car may not be worth much, but you also didn't pay much. If I had a car like your car, I would drop comprehensive/collision insurance coverage. You aren't going to get much anyways. Liability has you covered for the important stuff. You take out someone's $50,000 Lexus in an accident. Their vehicle is covered. You cut your losses on your old car and replace it. In the meantime, you enjoy operating a car for very little cost. Plus, you seem to be a safe/cautious driver. You have a true beater car!

All vehicles become less valuable as you rack up the miles. That's why I own a Mirage! I'd much rather rack up the miles on it verses my Subaru. I'd also much rather replace a Mirage over most anything else!

When I sold my 1990 Ford Festvia in 2004, I was paying $99 for 6-months of car insurance (liability only). Selling that car before it died was one of dumbest moments! I am not making that same mistake with my Mirage!
    The company I work for requires me to have full coverage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I acknowledge Murphy's law and now when I see a pickup truck with a couch in the back or even a work truck towing a trailer I change lanes ASAP and do not follow behind it.

Just the other day i saw a guy carrying 2 pieces of sheetrock on the top of a 90's Toyota Camry and literally they used no rope at all, just where holding it with their BARE HANDS. You can never underestimate the stupidity of some people and too many folks have never been given proper instruction on the right way to tie down items when transporting them.

So many Darwin award winning morons out there we just have to assume that any load you see has not been properly secured down. Especially on the expressway, we would all be well advised not to drive behind any vehicle that is pulling a load or a trailer. Even a truck towing a boat could have the boat come loose.

And when something comes loose those kinds of people are going to flee. Most of the time they will run away. Im sorry to hear about this situation. Hope other members can learn a lesson from it and to avoid putting yourself in harms way by following behind any vehicle that is towing or carrying a load.

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)