Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Absurd off-road questions

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'd say if you have driven the track a lot in a different vehicle you'd probably know most of the bad spots and like Loren says don't straddle rocks/high points,spacers help too.
    Once when I was driving the Smart fortwo and my Tacoma I wanted to survey a camping spot but didn't want to burn the gas so seeing as it was a real dry summer and I knew the track well I took the Smart.It was usually four wheel drive and ATV country but the fortwo had such a short wheelbase I took a chance. Halfway along I met a huge windfall tree that would've stopped my truck there but the fortwo was small/low enough to follow the trace the ATV's left...then at a hub of trails I met 2 OPP officers on 4wheelers looking to nab drunk drivers.They laughed their asses off! "You just have to be a local" they said! I nodded vigorously,laughing too.Strange, they never asked if I was drinking or not....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-08-2019),Eggman (06-08-2019),timw4mail (06-10-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Ultimately, while I've had the car 4 years now, I still sort of like it and don't want it totalled. Usually around the 10 or 12-year mark with a car I get more adventurous.
    Have you had your Mirage on any typical country gravel roads? I was on a freshly graveled country road earlier, the Mirage is o.k. but the road feels very slippery and has movement from the loose stones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

strawboss (06-08-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh yes - all sorts of gravel. I agree tracking isn't the best - I think part of the problem is that the wheel tracks are typically just a bit wider than the Mirage's stance. Also maybe the tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's so wild! But truly if I wanted a little bush buggy I'd start working on a Suzuki Sidekick.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Oh yes - all sorts of gravel. I agree tracking isn't the best.
    Maybe you know the answer to this, after you krown oil spray or whatever any oil spray rust protector, you are suppose to drive on fresh gravel. Not sure if that's myth or there is a point to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Maybe you know the answer to this, after you krown oil spray or whatever any oil spray rust protector, you are suppose to drive on fresh gravel. Not sure if that's myth or there is a point to it.
    Interesting. I've had both Krown and Rust Chek and haven't heard that. One guy suggested it is better to apply when it is a bit cool as the product adheres a bit better when it doesn't flow as much. Maybe it's the same idea - a mix of the oils and dust would be "stickier"?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe it's the same idea - a mix of the oils and dust would be "stickier"?
    I was thinking the same thing earlier actually. That the gravel dust gives the oil something to adhere to, instead of mostly dripping on my driveway. Then the dust helps keep the oil staying on the car, the undercarriage etc.

Maybe when the weather is cooler and the viscosity of the oil is goopier, then the gravel dust would have even greater effect. I have no idea for sure.
    The Krown people once told me summertime is the best season to do my yearly oil spray application.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The Krown people once told me summertime is the best season to do my yearly oil spray application.
    Which also makes sense, as lower viscosity oil would likely flow around more and cover all the nooks and crannies. Maybe it doesn't matter much?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-09-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Which also makes sense, as lower viscosity oil would likely flow around more and cover all the nooks and crannies. Maybe it doesn't matter much?
    The Mirage will never be a Jeep or a tank, but oiling every year and a half will hopefully keep the car as good and strong as it can be and keep it that way.
    Every car takes a beating that you drive winter and summer, so many weather conditions anywhere in Canada.