Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deposit on 2019 GT

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Deposit on 2019 GT

Is this a solid choice, price was right and like the car. Is it reliable?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.3 mpg (Imp)

Reliable? Yes, very. You'll get mixed opinions regarding the GT. Some consider the GT trim makes the cheap car too expensive. Other's will argue it's great value for the price and you can't find a similarly equipped car for that price. Do what you want, it's your money.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-16-2019)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have nearly 12,000 miles on my 2017 with zero problems. In fact, all of my Mitsubishis over time have proven to be extremely reliable.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-16-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got my Mirage a few weeks back, as for reliability I browsed this forum extensively and found great user reviews here. I've put 3700kms on in the few weeks of ownership and could not be happier. This little car will amaze you on fuel economy let alone it drives like a little go kart. It's not particularly fast but it's still a fun way to get around!! As @Fummins said it's your money, but my opinion is it's money well spent.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you, my needs are simple, just give me a well equipped car with AC and a 1/2 decent radio with great reliability. As for the GT, I was sold on the lamps, wheels and chrome trim packages. I had an old 2015 DE that just aged too far for me. The DE always felt stripped, it never felt convenient with antique push buttons and such. Also needed cruise control. Sold the 2015 with 50K on it for $6000. Can you say win!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Premeir620 View Post
    Is this a solid choice...Is it reliable?
    The Mirage is an amazingly simple and reliable vehicle. And it represents a good value in most trims.

Now let's get to the real issue...

...price was right...
    By now you probably know that the GT is the top level trim in a Mirage. A GT with 1 or 2 additional options can quickly approach $19,000. HERE is one example. Even on this forum, you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who thinks a $19,000 Mirage represents money well spent.

If you are able to score this car at a significant discount and you are not borrowing a ton of money and financing it over 6 years, then this could be a good situation for you. If you are getting the car for $1,000 under sticker price and you are financing 95% of the cost, then buying the car could be a financial can of worms.

We all like these cars, but the general public just doesn't share the same taste in vehicles. As a result, these cars depreciate quickly and are not in high demand as used cars. The GT may be the worst offender. That's why if you are buying new, you have to make sure you are getting every possible discount and buying the car at a very aggressive price. If you over-pay buying new, you could find yourself upside down in this car for YEARS. So just make sure you've done your homework.

Here is an example of one of the lower priced 2019 GTs I could find. This dealer has a good reputation with forum members...

Name:  gt.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  66.8 KB

...my needs are simple, just give me a well equipped car with AC and a 1/2 decent radio with great reliability.
    Would you be interested in a car with a manual transmission? This same dealer will sell you a new base model (ES) 5-speed for about $11,000. And even base model Mirages have cruise control, nice radios and backup cameras now. Spend $600 on the Rockford Fosgate upgrade if you want more sound from the radio. You can do that on the base model, too.

As for the GT, I was sold on the lamps, wheels and chrome trim packages.
    The HID headlights are cool...but not enough of a reason to buy a much more expensive model. The OEM GT wheels/tires are nothing special. If you want nice looking wheels with longer-lasting higher quality tires, there are much better aftermarket options out there and they aren't expensive. Chrome trim? Where does that go on a Mirage?!?
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-13-2019 at 01:53 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes its a true "steal" tornado damaged it on the dealership lot. By damaged I mean a few paint chips and a ding on the roof. I had a paintless expert look at it and he can repair it for $200. As far as the deal, amazing. Prices same as a base manual at $13,480. The title is clear, and its sold as "new" with 11 miles on the dash. I did throw in rhe floor mats all weather for $110.
    I can drive manual bit absolutely hate it, as I drove manual cars for 14+ years

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Premeir620 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-20-2019),Top_Fuel (06-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Yes its a true "steal" tornado damaged it on the dealership lot. By damaged I mean a few paint chips and a ding on the roof. I had a paintless expert look at it and he can repair it for $200.
    Sounds like you've got the bases covered! Don't postpone getting those paint chips fixed. You don't want those turning into potential rust spots after a couple of PA winters.

Post some pics when you get it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Thank you, my needs are simple, just give me a well equipped car with AC and a 1/2 decent radio with great reliability. As for the GT, I was sold on the lamps, wheels and chrome trim packages. I had an old 2015 DE that just aged too far for me. The DE always felt stripped, it never felt convenient with antique push buttons and such. Also needed cruise control. Sold the 2015 with 50K on it for $6000. Can you say win!?
    Seems a little odd that would ask about the reliability of a Mirage when you may have owned one longer than others responding to you?

kbb.com lists the private party price of a 2015 DE with 50,000 miles @ $5300-7000. Since you already sold your Mirage, it makes buying a new one less complicated. That part is nice.

The recently added features (all trim levels) of factory cruise control, 6-way adjustable driver's seat, backup camera, & Bluetooth have really benefited the ES trim level. If you think about it, the added features really hasn't done much for the other trim levels. The base level Mirage is a pretty nice package now.

I really like my 2017 Mirage ES (manual), but it's still a cheap, reliable, small economy car. As much as I like my car, I would not pay a lot of extra money for one! I wouldn't even consider the upper trim levels, but I also don't pay extra for something (CVT) I don't want either. I honestly feel I could buy a new manual one for $11,000 today without any extra effort. Thus, they aren't really priced the same in my mind. You aren't comparing apples to apples. Buy what you like! Not sure why you are even asking our opinion on things?

Good luck with your purchase!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes its a true "steal" tornado damaged it on the dealership lot. By damaged I mean a few paint chips and a ding on the roof. I had a paintless expert look at it and he can repair it for $200. As far as the deal, amazing. Prices same as a base manual at $13,480. The title is clear, and its sold as "new" with 11 miles on the dash. I did throw in rhe floor mats all weather for $110.
    I can drive manual bit absolutely hate it, as I drove manual cars for 14+ years
    Good job on finding a deal!

When I worked at a body shop in Georgia, we got an F-250 that had taken a direct hit from a tornado. Every bit of glass except the front passenger window was blown out, and the inside was covered in a paste of red mud, splinters, glass, and bits of insulation from destroyed houses. Bits of hay were literally embedded in the leather seats, piercing them like spears, they hit so hard. Every panel on the outside needed straightening and re-painting. This was at a tiny, one-man shop off a gravel road out in the country, and the customer was a neighbor, so we were able to fix it for about $3,600. I'm sure that truck is still on the road today.

Sounds like your new GT wasn't hit quite that hard, though.