Thread: Erratic RPMs at idle/start-up | Solved with fuel system cleaner

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Erratic RPMs at idle/start-up | Solved with fuel system cleaner

I have a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage ES with a CVT, 128,412 miles. I’ve noticed recently that when I start up my vehicle that the RPMs will throb/surge from 800 to 1200 or so until the vehicle is fully warmed up, driven, etc. It doesn’t happen all the time, it’s more of a hit or miss. My thoughts are that it’s either the battery, which is aging, something with the fuel system, or perhaps the car converter. Anyone have similar issues?

Forum member grevster had a similar problem that was solved with some fuel system cleaner. It's important to note that this is not a fuel treatment, but a cleaner such as Techron or as grevster used, Gumout:

Quote Originally Posted by grevster View Post
    Here is an update, I used a bottle of Gumout all in one cleaner in a full tank of 87 octane gasoline (sorry, i could not find any techron locally) and drove 2 hours continously on the highway around 110 - 120km/h. The next morning, when i started from cold, i still had the erratic idle but this time it was not bouncing between 1100 rpm - 750 rpm but it was bouncing around 900 - 750 rpm. So the amplitude of idling bounce reduced.

I gave another bottle of Gumout this time in half tank Shell 91 octane gasoline. It is still in the tank not finished yet but when i checked this morning, i didn't see any bouncing at all. Of course i need to check couple more morning cold starts to make sure but i guess it is getting much better and cleaner really helped. Thank you all!
    If you are having a similar problem and have tried a fuel system cleaner, please post your results.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-29-2019 at 08:56 AM.