Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: G4 head-on collision fatality

I saw the stories in my email alerts yesterday.

Who knows what the circumstances were and whether it was potentially avoidable, but the driving school I taught for (years ago) used to teach & practice (simulated) head-on collision avoidance maneuvers in 2-lane highway situations just like this.

Imminent collision coming at you in your lane?

1) if you have time, signal right (communicate so you don't BOTH end up heading the same direction to avoid the crash)

2) maintain speed

3) drop the right tires onto the shoulder and as smoothly as possible steer the left tires over to run near the edge of the asphalt

4) when clear, while holding speed, steer the right tires gently back onto the asphalt

5) find somewhere safe to stop to change your shorts

In the above scenario, there's enough room for 3 normal size cars to pass all at once on a typical 2 lane highway.

The rationale for maintaining speed through the maneuver was to avoid putting the driver into a situation where they were (A) rapidly changing speed (B) while steering, while also (C) going off a high-traction surface (asphalt) onto a low-traction surface (gravel). That's a recipe for loss of control/rollover for a typical driver, never mind a novice one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

daleWV (06-20-2019),Dirk Diggler (06-19-2019),Eggman (06-19-2019),Fummins (06-19-2019),spork (06-20-2019),timw4mail (06-21-2019),Top_Fuel (06-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Solid advice - thanks for sharing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I saw the stories in my email alerts yesterday.

Who knows what the circumstances were and whether it was potentially avoidable, but the driving school I taught for (years ago) used to teach & practice (simulated) head-on collision avoidance maneuvers in 2-lane highway situations just like this.

Imminent collision coming at you in your lane?

1) if you have time, signal right (communicate so you don't BOTH end up heading the same direction to avoid the crash)

2) maintain speed

3) drop the right tires onto the shoulder and as smoothly as possible steer the left tires over to run near the edge of the asphalt

4) when clear, while holding speed, steer the right tires gently back onto the asphalt

5) find somewhere safe to stop to change your shorts

In the above scenario, there's enough room for 3 normal size cars to pass all at once on a typical 2 lane highway.

The rationale for maintaining speed through the maneuver was to avoid putting the driver into a situation where they were (A) rapidly changing speed (B) while steering, while also (C) going off a high-traction surface (asphalt) onto a low-traction surface (gravel). That's a recipe for loss of control/rollover for a typical driver, never mind a novice one.
    If a head on collision is imminent, no one will be signaling the direction they are going to swerve and probably even less people will be looking for a blinker to help them decide which way they will be swerving. Otherwise looks good.

True. And sometimes, it's truly unavoidable.

But I've also seen lots of close calls that gave the driver lots of time. You can almost hear them thinking... "they're going to go back in their own lane... aren't they? Aren't they? Aren't they??? HOLY $&3_%!!!"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Pryme (06-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    True. And sometimes, it's truly unavoidable.

But I've also seen lots of close calls that gave the driver lots of time. You can almost hear them thinking... "they're going to go back in their own lane... aren't they? Aren't they? Aren't they??? HOLY $&3_%!!!"
    Wow, you're giving me flashbacks to a crash I had years ago. I was going through a green light on a 55-mph highway. Somebody was waiting to turn left from the other direction. She kept slowly edging further and further into the intersection. I kept thinking she would stop at some point, until she floored it and there was no time left to react.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just like a mugging or armed robbery, an accident comes at you at an instant. Reaction time and avoidance is up to you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-20-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    If a head on collision is imminent, no one will be signaling the direction they are going to swerve and probably even less people will be looking for a blinker to help them decide which way they will be swerving. Otherwise looks good.
    Im talking federal "azz pounding, dont drop the soap, I just sold you to Jango for a pack of Kools and a honeybun" prison.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Im talking federal "azz pounding, dont drop the soap, I just sold you to Jango for a pack of Kools and a honeybun" prison.
    What??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-20-2019),Pryme (06-20-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What??
    A prison joke Eggman.

ha!

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-20-2019)