Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: G4 head-on collision fatality

  1. #11
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    7,493
    Thanks
    2,943
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,343 Posts
    I saw the stories in my email alerts yesterday.

    Who knows what the circumstances were and whether it was potentially avoidable, but the driving school I taught for (years ago) used to teach & practice (simulated) head-on collision avoidance maneuvers in 2-lane highway situations just like this.

    Imminent collision coming at you in your lane?

    1) if you have time, signal right (communicate so you don't BOTH end up heading the same direction to avoid the crash)

    2) maintain speed

    3) drop the right tires onto the shoulder and as smoothly as possible steer the left tires over to run near the edge of the asphalt

    4) when clear, while holding speed, steer the right tires gently back onto the asphalt

    5) find somewhere safe to stop to change your shorts

    In the above scenario, there's enough room for 3 normal size cars to pass all at once on a typical 2 lane highway.

    The rationale for maintaining speed through the maneuver was to avoid putting the driver into a situation where they were (A) rapidly changing speed (B) while steering, while also (C) going off a high-traction surface (asphalt) onto a low-traction surface (gravel). That's a recipe for loss of control/rollover for a typical driver, never mind a novice one.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

    daleWV (06-20-2019),Dirk Diggler (06-19-2019),Eggman (06-19-2019),Fummins (06-19-2019),spork (06-20-2019),timw4mail (06-21-2019),Top_Fuel (06-20-2019)

  3. #12
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,010
    Thanks
    3,152
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,198 Posts
    Solid advice - thanks for sharing.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)


  4. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    991
    Thanks
    380
    Thanked 284 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I saw the stories in my email alerts yesterday.

    Who knows what the circumstances were and whether it was potentially avoidable, but the driving school I taught for (years ago) used to teach & practice (simulated) head-on collision avoidance maneuvers in 2-lane highway situations just like this.

    Imminent collision coming at you in your lane?

    1) if you have time, signal right (communicate so you don't BOTH end up heading the same direction to avoid the crash)

    2) maintain speed

    3) drop the right tires onto the shoulder and as smoothly as possible steer the left tires over to run near the edge of the asphalt

    4) when clear, while holding speed, steer the right tires gently back onto the asphalt

    5) find somewhere safe to stop to change your shorts

    In the above scenario, there's enough room for 3 normal size cars to pass all at once on a typical 2 lane highway.

    The rationale for maintaining speed through the maneuver was to avoid putting the driver into a situation where they were (A) rapidly changing speed (B) while steering, while also (C) going off a high-traction surface (asphalt) onto a low-traction surface (gravel). That's a recipe for loss of control/rollover for a typical driver, never mind a novice one.
    If a head on collision is imminent, no one will be signaling the direction they are going to swerve and probably even less people will be looking for a blinker to help them decide which way they will be swerving. Otherwise looks good.

  5. #14
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    7,493
    Thanks
    2,943
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,343 Posts
    True. And sometimes, it's truly unavoidable.

    But I've also seen lots of close calls that gave the driver lots of time. You can almost hear them thinking... "they're going to go back in their own lane... aren't they? Aren't they? Aren't they??? HOLY $&3_%!!!"

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

    Pryme (06-20-2019)

  7. #15
    Hubcap Enthusiast Scratchpaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Phoenix
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 97 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    True. And sometimes, it's truly unavoidable.

    But I've also seen lots of close calls that gave the driver lots of time. You can almost hear them thinking... "they're going to go back in their own lane... aren't they? Aren't they? Aren't they??? HOLY $&3_%!!!"
    Wow, you're giving me flashbacks to a crash I had years ago. I was going through a green light on a 55-mph highway. Somebody was waiting to turn left from the other direction. She kept slowly edging further and further into the intersection. I kept thinking she would stop at some point, until she floored it and there was no time left to react.

  8. #16
    Senior Member Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    329
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 199 Times in 109 Posts
    Just like a mugging or armed robbery, an accident comes at you at an instant. Reaction time and avoidance is up to you.
    Check out my latest project........

    Mullet's Skoolie Build

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (06-20-2019)

  10. #17
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,051
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 108 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    If a head on collision is imminent, no one will be signaling the direction they are going to swerve and probably even less people will be looking for a blinker to help them decide which way they will be swerving. Otherwise looks good.
    Im talking federal "azz pounding, dont drop the soap, I just sold you to Jango for a pack of Kools and a honeybun" prison.

  11. #18
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,010
    Thanks
    3,152
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Im talking federal "azz pounding, dont drop the soap, I just sold you to Jango for a pack of Kools and a honeybun" prison.
    What??

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.9 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.9 mpg (Imp)


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (06-20-2019),Pryme (06-20-2019)

  13. #19
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,051
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 108 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What??
    A prison joke Eggman.

  14. #20
    Senior Member Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    On a toilet
    Country
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,221
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 715 Posts
    ha!


    Truck
    POS Nissan
    Optima

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

    Dirk Diggler (06-20-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •