Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: G4 head-on collision fatality

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saw this article today, which I found a little worrisome:

https://www.iseecars.com/most-dangerous-cars-2019-study

According to the study, the Mirage has the highest fatality rate of any car in the U.S. (2013-17 model years).

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...fatality-rate)

But hey, it beat a corvette! You only have to be worried if you crash for a minute. Then you don't. Jus don't run into anything and do your best to not let anyone run into you. I'd be most worried about the later.
    Unfortunately gotta pay attention I guess, unlike kids and even adults do nowadays when crossing the street. Can't just assume everyone around is paying attention and not going to run into you.
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-05-2019 at 01:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Jalopnik pretty convincingly nuked that study right after it came out. Essentially what the study says is that there will be 10.2 deaths on average for every billion miles Mirages are driven.

That is a pretty safe car.

https://jalopnik.com/americas-most-d...saf-1834762891

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-05-2019),guthraee (07-05-2019),Top_Fuel (07-05-2019)

Reading is hard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Reading is hard.
    Yeah. I still haven't learned how.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, that's a fair point. And even if the Mirage is less safe than just about every other new car these days, it's still safer than most cars from just 10-15 years ago. For example, I'm gearing up to replace a 2006 Kia Spectra5 (possibly with a Mirage), and compared to the Spectra5, the Mirage has better IIHS scores. (It's not exactly apples to apples because the Mirage is a lighter car and frontal crash scores can only be directly compared between cars of roughly the same weight, but still.) I suppose if I don't have too many qualms about sending a family member out in the Spectra5 every day, I shouldn't be overly concerned about the Mirage. :-)

FWIW, I test-drove a Mirage for the first time today. I drove it right after driving a Hyundai Accent, so that colored my impressions a bit. Overall, I liked the Mirage and understand why owners are devoted to it. Yes, it's slow (I was driving a SE CVT model), but not terribly so. I thought the handling was decent enough, although the steering was a tad light. I didn't get it up to highway speeds, so I don't have much to say about noise levels, but it certainly wasn't bad at 30-40 MPH. I tested out the speakers on the radio (not the best test, I know) and thought the sound was surprisingly good for a 4-speaker setup--at least on par with the 4-speaker system on the base Accent. And for such a tiny car, I thought the Mirage was plenty spacious inside--I'm 5'10", and I had no problem sitting behind myself, and the trunk was decently sized.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    Yes, that's a fair point. And even if the Mirage is less safe than just about every other new car these days, it's still safer than most cars from just 10-15 years ago. For example, I'm gearing up to replace a 2006 Kia Spectra5 (possibly with a Mirage), and compared to the Spectra5, the Mirage has better IIHS scores. (It's not exactly apples to apples because the Mirage is a lighter car and frontal crash scores can only be directly compared between cars of roughly the same weight, but still.) I suppose if I don't have too many qualms about sending a family member out in the Spectra5 every day, I shouldn't be overly concerned about the Mirage. :-)

FWIW, I test-drove a Mirage for the first time today. I drove it right after driving a Hyundai Accent, so that colored my impressions a bit. Overall, I liked the Mirage and understand why owners are devoted to it. Yes, it's slow (I was driving a SE CVT model), but not terribly so. I thought the handling was decent enough, although the steering was a tad light. I didn't get it up to highway speeds, so I don't have much to say about noise levels, but it certainly wasn't bad at 30-40 MPH. I tested out the speakers on the radio (not the best test, I know) and thought the sound was surprisingly good for a 4-speaker setup--at least on par with the 4-speaker system on the base Accent. And for such a tiny car, I thought the Mirage was plenty spacious inside--I'm 5'10", and I had no problem sitting behind myself, and the trunk was decently sized.
    Hyundai dual clutch transmissions are highly suspect. Id trust the Mirage CVT7 more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hyundai dual clutch transmissions are highly suspect. Id trust the Mirage CVT7 more.
    The Accent still has a 6-speed conventional automatic, thankfully, though they're reportedly switching to the new Kia/Hyundai CVT for the 2020 model year. I agree that I don't fully trust the Kia/Hyundai dual clutch--thankfully, it's generally only used on cars with either the 1.6L turbo or their hybrid setup. In the Accent, you can also get a 6-speed manual on the base SE, which has virtually the same equipment level as the 5-speed Mirage ES. They're both tempting for an inexpensive, economical little car. Unfortunately, the family member who would be using the new car refuses to drive a stick. :-)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The Accent still has a 6-speed conventional automatic, thankfully, though they're reportedly switching to the new Kia/Hyundai CVT for the 2020 model year. I agree that I don't fully trust the Kia/Hyundai dual clutch--thankfully, it's generally only used on cars with either the 1.6L turbo or their hybrid setup. In the Accent, you can also get a 6-speed manual on the base SE, which has virtually the same equipment level as the 5-speed Mirage ES. They're both tempting for an inexpensive, economical little car. Unfortunately, the family member who would be using the new car refuses to drive a stick. :-)
    My lady refused to learn manual too lol. Its why we both have CVT Mirages, in case she ever had to drive my car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    My neighbor drove a loaner vehicle back from Seattle to Wisconsin about 2-weeks ago. It was a Hyundai Accent sedan. She was super impressed with the mileage it got. I don't remember her exact numbers, but it was in the mid to high 40's for most of her trip home. Her personal vehicles are both sticks, but I am pretty sure this loaner was an automatic. At the time, I was really impressed by what she shared with me, too!