Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to take for service?

Unfortunately our warranty would be void if we did 8000 mile oil changes. Basically if you live in Canada a lot of people would fall into the Severe service category for most of the year which calls for 4000mile/6000kms oil changes. Drive in below 0C counts as severe'. Well that's here for half the year. The regular schedule calls for 5000miles/8000kms. Do you have different schedules in the States or just not follow them? Not trying to be a meany head, just curious.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Unfortunately our warranty would be void if we did 8000 mile oil changes. Basically if you live in Canada a lot of people would fall into the Severe service category for most of the year which calls for 4000mile/6000kms oil changes. Drive in below 0C counts as severe'. Well that's here for half the year. The regular schedule calls for 5000miles/8000kms. Do you have different schedules in the States or just not follow them? Not trying to be a meany head, just curious.
    Good question - We are different.

Regular maintenance schedule is 7,500 miles, & the severe driving one is 3,750 miles.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Prior to purchasing my 2011 Forester in 2013, I hadn't use synthetic oils. Subaru recommends 0W-20, & that requires a full synthetic oil. A 0W-20 synthetic/blend may exist, but I haven't seen that in stores.

I've had this conventional/synthetic oil discussion with a few mechanics that I trust. I wrestled with this in my own mind. Not only with my own vehicles, but having service done on our driving school vehicles. This is where I am at, but I am not saying it right or the best.

Oil & Filter change intervals -

3,000 miles - conventional oil with cheap filters (Fram Tough Guard, STP, Purolator Classic)
    3,000-5,000 miles conventional oil with a quality oil filter (Fram Tough Guard, Purolator One, Bosch)
    5,000 miles synthetic oil with a quality filter (Fram Tough Guard, Purolator One, Bosch)
    5,000-7,500 synthetic oil with premium filter (Fram Ultra Synthetic, Purolator Boss, Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1)

Wix/Nappa makes or has good filters and other good products are out there. I am just using some names as examples. Some Ford vehicles are now recommending 10,000 mile oil changes, & Motorcraft oil is a synthetic blend. Personally, I would do the 5,000 mile oil changes myself.

Claims that an oil can go 15,000 miles or an oil filter can go 20,000 miles doesn't mean much to me. It does indicate it is a better quality product, however.

I've been doing 0W-20 Mobil 1 & Purolator One oil filter (rated to 10,000 miles) changed every 5,000 miles on my Mirage Eventually, I am switching to Super Tech 0W-20 Full Synthetic, & I will stick with a quality or premium filter.

Places like RockAuto.com do a nice job of listing oil filters for you. They use the terms economy, standard, & high performance/heavy duty. It's another way of saying cheap, not so cheap, & premium.

I haven't seen 0w20 in anything other than full synthetic as well. I see we're stocking more 0w16 now. I use rockauto's website to lookup part numbers a lot. They've got a really good system for parts lookup. I still miss looking up parts on the predecessor program to car-part.com that used wyse 50 computers or emulators.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Unfortunately our warranty would be void if we did 8000 mile oil changes. Basically if you live in Canada a lot of people would fall into the Severe service category for most of the year
    I did not realize this, and have always done 8000 km interval oil changes on my Mirage, since brand new in spring 2014. The oil does get really dirty I noticed. I wonder if I should change the oil at 5000k, at least wintertime

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

If you care about warranty you might want to consider it.

Edit: I miss read your comment. As usual.

Might depend on the dealer. They could be dicks and say you should have followed the severe I guess. But some might be less picky. I don't foresee any engine problems anyways unless totally neglected or abused.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Might depend on the dealer. They could be dicks and say you should have followed the severe I guess. But some might be less picky. I don't foresee any engine problems anyways unless totally neglected or abused.
    The 8000 km intervals is what the service department at the local dealer has done from the start. They're the only ones doing any work to my Mirage up to now. The computer resets at 8000 kms by default also. Not sure if that's a default, or a set interval on the trip computer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Im more impressed everyday with the Mitsu 3cyl engines, they can take a beating. We did 80 mph for 1400 miles with 2 adults, luggage, AC on, passing cars like crazy on the Watermelon 500 during the start of rush hour. Impressive lil machines

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The 8000 km intervals is what the service department at the local dealer has done from the start. They're the only ones doing any work to my Mirage up to now. The computer resets at 8000 kms by default also. Not sure if that's a default, or a set interval on the trip computer.
    The U.S. Mirage service wrench needs to be reset @ 7,500 miles. If going by that, you are doing 7,500 mile oil/filter changes. I sort of ignore the thing & reset it when it appears. I like 5,000 miles. It's between the two schedules, & we have some nasty weather, too. The oil I changed out last week @ 25,000 miles had gone through some nasty weeks of very cold temperatures. It's only 3 quarts of oil and easy to do.

dspace - I don't think a dealer could argue a warranty claim if they are servicing your car! There should be no worries on that one.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The U.S. Mirage service wrench needs to be reset @ 7,500 miles. If going by that, you are doing 7,500 mile oil/filter changes. I sort of ignore the thing & reset it when it appears. I like 5,000 miles. It's between the two schedules, & we have some nasty weather, too. The oil I changed out last week @ 25,000 miles had gone through some nasty weeks of very cold temperatures. It's only 3 quarts of oil and easy to do.

dspace - I don't think a dealer could argue a warranty claim if they are servicing your car! There should be no worries on that one.
    I will take it to the toyota mechanic tommorow for the oil change.

As I understand from the posts above, the "service wrench reset"....is that something I need to do from the menu OR will the mechanic automatically know what to do?