Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where to take for service?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage86 View Post
    I will take it to the toyota mechanic tommorow for the oil change.

As I understand from the posts above, the "service wrench reset"....is that something I need to do from the menu OR will the mechanic automatically know what to do?
    Maintenance reminder OFF

I hope this helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage86 View Post
    I will take it to the toyota mechanic tommorow for the oil change.

As I understand from the posts above, the "service wrench reset"....is that something I need to do from the menu OR will the mechanic automatically know what to do?
    I'm sure the Toyota dealer will take good care of you. Many vehicles are using 0W-20 oil now, and all 0W-20 oil is most likely synthetic. I would make a point of saying you want 0W-20 full synthetic oil just in case they try to cheap out. If they come back with that will cost you extra (which synthetic does), make a rude comment back that it only takes 3 quarts. Thus, you deserve a discount price! I am kidding about the last two lines! It doesn't hurt to point out things, however.

As far as the wrench reset, I just look at this youtube.com clip. It's not all that hard, but watching a 1-minute clip is easier than reading your manual. I've looked up this clip twice now, because I forgot between times. I am old and challenged by technology sometimes! There are other clips, but this one is short and to the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oBfnBnQ_dc

We tend to babble on about topics, & I am one of the worst offenders. Dealerships that want business should treat you well. Hope it goes well, & you are impressed with them!

I turned the service minder wrench thing off on all the cars that I service. Saves me a ton of time explaining to people that it's not a check engine light and the car isn't a death trap because of it. Now if only I could turn that green temp light off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Prior to purchasing my 2011 Forester in 2013, I hadn't use synthetic oils. Subaru recommends 0W-20, & that requires a full synthetic oil. A 0W-20 synthetic/blend may exist, but I haven't seen that in stores.

I've had this conventional/synthetic oil discussion with a few mechanics that I trust. I wrestled with this in my own mind. Not only with my own vehicles, but having service done on our driving school vehicles. This is where I am at, but I am not saying it right or the best.

Oil & Filter change intervals -

3,000 miles - conventional oil with cheap filters (Fram Tough Guard, STP, Purolator Classic)
    3,000-5,000 miles conventional oil with a quality oil filter (Fram Tough Guard, Purolator One, Bosch)
    5,000 miles synthetic oil with a quality filter (Fram Tough Guard, Purolator One, Bosch)
    5,000-7,500 synthetic oil with premium filter (Fram Ultra Synthetic, Purolator Boss, Bosch Distance Plus, Mobil 1)

Wix/Nappa makes or has good filters and other good products are out there. I am just using some names as examples. Some Ford vehicles are now recommending 10,000 mile oil changes, & Motorcraft oil is a synthetic blend. Personally, I would do the 5,000 mile oil changes myself.

Claims that an oil can go 15,000 miles or an oil filter can go 20,000 miles doesn't mean much to me. It does indicate it is a better quality product, however.

I've been doing 0W-20 Mobil 1 & Purolator One oil filter (rated to 10,000 miles) changed every 5,000 miles on my Mirage Eventually, I am switching to Super Tech 0W-20 Full Synthetic, & I will stick with a quality or premium filter.

Places like RockAuto.com do a nice job of listing oil filters for you. They use the terms economy, standard, & high performance/heavy duty. It's another way of saying cheap, not so cheap, & premium.
    Does anyone here know the torque specification for tightening the oil drain plug? I have a 2017. Is it the same for 2014, 2015 and 2017?

I don't have the specs, I'll let someone else look it up. I don't wear a white lab coat when I tighten them. I snug them up so they don't fall out. If you've never done it before then going by specs isn't a terrible idea I guess. I tossed the factory thing copper gasket and use aluminum ones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't have the specs, I'll let someone else look it up. I don't wear a white lab coat when I tighten them. I snug them up so they don't fall out. If you've never done it before then going by specs isn't a terrible idea I guess. I tossed the factory thing copper gasket and use aluminum ones.
    Funmins how many years have you been a master mechanic?

For less time than I've been a master debater.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-28-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    For less time than I've been a master debater.
    Lol I saw what you did there you maverick renegade!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Maintenance reminder OFF

I hope this helps.
    As a side note, same process is used on other Mitsubishi models. Just turned off the wrench in my new 2019 Outlander Sport. I had done this previously on my Mirage.
    Last edited by inuvik; 06-28-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Added a sentence.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I usually forget to reset those damn things, that's the main reason I turned them off.