Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering a Mitsu Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I am going to add a few more thought that may or may not be relevant today.

I wanted $9500 new Mirage. That may be a $10,500-11,000 Mirage today? If I financed $10,000 with Ally (Mitsubishi) at the time, I was eligible for $500 rebate. That made the Mirage a $9000 new car for me. I settled on one for $9299 in my first color choice, & it had a couple extras that I already shared. I had to finance the tax, title, & everything ($10,153.73) to get that rebate. I wrote a check for $153.73 the day it was delivered to my home. 3-months later I refinanced it as a used car with my local credit union. Both my credit union & general manager of the dealership suggested doing this My payments were $169/month (2.74% for 60 months), but I just paid the thing off a little over a month ago. It cost me $30 to refinance with my local credit union (interest rate dropped from 4% with Ally to the 2.74%). I didn't even have to visit my own credit union to do this. Emailed my credit union, & it was taken care of on line.

If I had qualified for the current Mitsubishi owner and military veteran rebates, I would have gotten this car for way less than $9000 new. For that price, looking at slightly used Mirages wasn't worth it. Plus, all used ones at that time were the 2014-15 models. In all honesty, some of the slightly used cars were listed higher than the new updated 2017 models at the time.

These are items that drew me to the Mirage. I wanted a reliable economy car, & I didn't want to pay more than $10,000. I had been looking at used cars like the Fit, Yaris, and Mazda2 for quite some time. Once I started looking into the Mirage seriously, everything about it made total sense. I still wouldn't pay a lot of money for a Mirage, but a highly discounted one is a great value in my mind.

Some forum members are a little critical of me when I share all this, but I had no problem finding a cheap Mirage. I didn't negotiate. I went where they were selling for a price I was willing to pay. When they offered to deliver the car for free, the deal was done!

I am just trying to be helpful by sharing my experience with the purchase. I learned some things along the way myself, even though this wasn't my first car purchase.

Last edited by Mark; 06-20-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGreener View Post
    I need cheap reliable transportation with good fuel economy and that's it.
    Hi, I have a 2014 Mirage ES base 5 speed, that I bought new back in '14. Overall, It's been a good, reliable, basic transportation car. I wanted a new car with a long warranty, and great fuel economy. I have gotten over 40 mpg just about always, except a bit lower in the winter.

Things to consider: obviously Mirage is a tiny car, so sometimes that makes it a little scary on the highway, and some passengers may find the feel disarming. Especially when you're driving in a sea full of SUVs, and you're the smallest fish.

Winter driving - the Mirage handles ok, but again, it's tiny, so bigger cars you might feel safer in squirrelly conditions.

Cons - 10 year warranty sounds great, but there's no way a tin can Mirage, in an environment like Ohio or Ontario won't have rust in 10 years. in my opinion of course, time will tell. I get mine professionally rust proofed every year, and it shows well 5+ years on.

Mitsubishi Motors can be a real stickler with warranty issues. I had a starter issue, and they eventually fixed it, but required threatening legal action. The dealer I bought it from, I won't even get my car serviced there now.

Overall, my Mirage is a nice car, certainly "luxury" compared to my previous rides. Weigh your options, I think the Mirage is no better or worse than many Toyotas and Hondas (imo).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

RyanGreener (06-20-2019)

RyanGreener - I'm curious what you're driving now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    RyanGreener - I'm curious what you're driving now.
    I have a couple of cars right now, but my main daily driver/beater is a 2007 Scion tC.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'm not anti CVT, but a lot of Nissans/Chevys seem to have premature CVT failure. Just spooks me is all.

Interesting facts. Good to know. I'm guessing part of the reason the Mirage transmissions fail less is lack of torque (yes, I know the versa/spark aren't exactly powerhouses, but could be a factor too).

I'm totally fine with how the car rides. I've driven to the race track in a car in a fully gutted interior, containment seat/harness/cage, no PS/AC, 800 lb/500lb coilovers and the world's loudest tires (not recommended, but no tow vehicle at the time). I'm okay with just about everything. Thanks for the information guys! I guess I'll just wait until I get tired of fixing my current daily
    Dude dont let the 5 speed manual guys on here scare you, the CVT7 is very reliable. I too lamented my fears about the CVT reliability when I first joined here 3 plus months ago, and thankfully Fummins put my mind at ease with his extensive experience in dealing with Mitsubishi CVTs. Check the CVT fluid color and smell, fresh fluid changes every 30k miles, new CVT filters at 60k miles, use correct fluid, etc. and you should get 150k to 175k miles out of the CVT7. It took me like 2 weeks to figure out how to properly drive a CVT and to have realistic expectations on how it should operate. Today, I couldnt be more thrilled with my CVT, Im doing 70mph at 2200 rpm today. My old Subaru Outback never even came close to attaining that level of efficientcy. Mitsubishi programming is simple better than Nissan's. Mitsu engineers decided to put less taxiation on the Jatco CVT7 with the 74hp/torque and low curb weight. I guess Nissan R&D thought to put more? Manuals are fun as hell and less costly to fix, true, but dont think for a second your going to experience any the Nissan cvt nightmare from your Mitsu. Your good. Get the CVT if you live in a heavy traffic, urban center.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Dude dont let the 5 speed manual guys on here scare you, the CVT7 is very reliable. I too lamented my fears about the CVT reliability when I first joined here 3 plus months ago, and thankfully Fummins put my mind at ease with his extensive experience in dealing with Mitsubishi CVTs. Check the CVT fluid color and smell, fresh fluid changes every 30k miles, new CVT filters at 60k miles, use correct fluid, etc. and you should get 150k to 175k miles out of the CVT7. It took me like 2 weeks to figure out how to properly drive a CVT and to have realistic expectations on how it should operate. Today, I couldnt be more thrilled with my CVT, Im doing 70mph at 2200 rpm today. My old Subaru Outback never even came close to attaining that level of efficientcy. Mitsubishi programming is simple better than Nissan's. Mitsu engineers decided to put less taxiation on the Jatco CVT7 with the 74hp/torque and low curb weight. I guess Nissan R&D thought to put more? Manuals are fun as hell and less costly to fix, true, but dont think for a second your going to experience any the Nissan cvt nightmare from your Mitsu. Your good. Get the CVT if you live in a heavy traffic, urban center.
    1) lack of manual availability
    2) lots of traffic (I'm very close to NY)

are the reasons why I considered the CVT. Good to know.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I tell you when I first came on here alot of the 5 speed guys on here were of a positive opinion about the reliability of the CVT7, not performance, understandably a manual will always be superior to an auto in that regard of course. But opinion has shifted perhaps? Is there some new study Im not aware of? What am I missing?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    1) lack of manual availability
    2) lots of traffic (I'm very close to NY)

are the reasons why I considered the CVT. Good to know.
    Oh yeah, I was just in Manhattan over Xmas, you better believe Id own a CVT Mitsu, Honda, Toyota, etc. Stop and go with a CVT feels easier to me than a traditional auto.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Oh yeah, I was just in Manhattan over Xmas, you better believe Id own a CVT Mitsu, Honda, Toyota, etc. Stop and go with a CVT feels easier to me than a traditional auto.
    I have limited CVT experience, but on the Mirage test drive it felt weird, but its not like it was particularly challenging to drive. When I get tired of filling up the tC with oil I might make the switch

That said, TRY the manual, even if you do lots of city driving. The Mirage has the lightest, easiest to use clutch I've ever driven. Not hard on the leg at all!

It makes the clutch in my 1.0L Metro feel like a truck's by comparison.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)