Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Break- in!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Holy Break- in!

I am very technical with my cars. I dropped my engine oil and filter on the new GT Mirage at 400 miles. There was actual slivers of aluminum, copper gold glitters and substantial dirt from factory fill. My advise is drop the oil if you plan to purchase new. Went with Eneos SN 0W20 and a Napa Platinum filter. Wish that I took pictures of the drain pan, I didn't use my camera with oily hands though

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Premeir620 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Premeir620 View Post
    I am very technical with my cars. I dropped my engine oil and filter on the new GT Mirage at 400 miles. There was actual slivers of aluminum, copper gold glitters and substantial dirt from factory fill. My advise is drop the oil if you plan to purchase new. Went with Eneos SN 0W20 and a Napa Platinum filter. Wish that I took pictures of the drain pan, I didn't use my camera with oily hands though
    Thanks for sharing that!

Eneos SN 0W20 appears to be a top notch synthetic oil. Have you used this oil in previous vehicles? Did someone suggest this oil to you?

After this initial oil/filter change, what oil/filter mileage change intervals are you going to follow? Always curious to hear what others think & do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I did my first oil change around 1,000 miles...and I sent in a sample to Blackstone Labs to have it analyzed. I figured this would make an interesting test, so I sent in a sample and here's what they said...

Name:  oil_sample_1.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  98.7 KB

For what it's worth, I've have had my oil analyzed at least 5 times since then and they have never seen anything even slightly out of the ordinary. They have pretty good data on these engines because enough of us have sent in samples to get a decent baseline on what is normal for these cars. I wouldn't base too much on a visual check of the oil without an analysis to back it up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Excellent data

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I did my first oil change around 1,000 miles...and I sent in a sample to Blackstone Labs to have it analyzed. I figured this would make an interesting test, so I sent in a sample and here's what they said...

Name:  oil_sample_1.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  98.7 KB

For what it's worth, I've have had my oil analyzed at least 5 times since then and they have never seen anything even slightly out of the ordinary. They have pretty good data on these engines because enough of us have sent in samples to get a decent baseline on what is normal for these cars. I wouldn't base too much on a visual check of the oil without an analysis to back it up.
    I will say that it makes me comfortable going 5,000 or until the maintenance due lamp comes on. I have heard all good things about Eneos, Japan is a test market for this oil and it rarely breaks down before the recommended OCI. Mobil 1 has a tendency to thin out and Royal Purple is out of my budget on an econo car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.5 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I will say that it makes me comfortable going 5,000...
    I use 5,000 mile intervals because that's when I have my car up in the air for tire rotations. Also I have found that it's easy for me to remember oil changes when I'm doing it every 5,000. This is roughly about 4 oil changes a year for me.

The reality is that I'm throwing out perfectly usable oil at 5,000 miles. My oil sample testing indicates there's plenty of life left in it. After I'm out of warranty, I could see extending that interval to 10,000 miles if it was supported by sampling data. Since it's only 3.5 quarts, I don't lose too much sleep over changing it every 5K right now.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-23-2019 at 04:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I will say that it makes me comfortable going 5,000 or until the maintenance due lamp comes on. I have heard all good things about Eneos, Japan is a test market for this oil and it rarely breaks down before the recommended OCI. Mobil 1 has a tendency to thin out and Royal Purple is out of my budget on an econo car.
    The maintenance wrench is just set to come on every 7,500 miles. It's not monitoring the quality of the oil. Thus, I wouldn't bother using it as a guide unless you are comfortable with 7,500 mile oil change intervals.

Right or wrong - I have taken some stock in one of our highest mileage Mirage forum members. He's been doing 5,000 mile oil changes, & that has been with plain 5W-30 conventional oil. He's @ over 250,000 miles (50 oil changes), & his Mirage isn't experiencing any issues. No burning oil or leaks!

It makes me sort of think any good quality oil changed regularly is going to do the job. Thus, I feel any 0W-20 synthetic oil with a quality oil filter changed every 5,000 miles will be fine. I am like Top_Fuel. 5,000 mile intervals are easy to remember. I would rather error on changing to soon verses to late. The two Mirage schedules are 3,750 & 7,500 mile intervals. Thus, I am comfortable with 5000 mile changes.

I've haven't really noticed Eneos oil before, but it appears to be good stuff!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been using that 15k Mobil 1 oil for the last few oil changes. Went like 12k on it last time.

With visual chips and stuff floating in your oil i would've cut the filter open and looked inside

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Or at least use a better quality filter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The maintenance wrench is just set to come on every 7,500 miles. It's not monitoring the quality of the oil. Thus, I wouldn't bother using it as a guide unless you are comfortable with 7,500 mile oil change intervals.

Right or wrong - I have taken some stock in one of our highest mileage Mirage forum members. He's been doing 5,000 mile oil changes, & that has been with plain 5W-30 conventional oil. He's @ over 250,000 miles (50 oil changes), & his Mirage isn't experiencing any issues. No burning oil or leaks!

It makes me sort of think any good quality oil changed regularly is going to do the job. Thus, I feel any 0W-20 synthetic oil with a quality oil filter changed every 5,000 miles will be fine. I am like Top_Fuel. 5,000 mile intervals are easy to remember. I would rather error on changing to soon verses to late. The two Mirage schedules are 3,750 & 7,500 mile intervals. Thus, I am comfortable with 5000 mile changes.

I've haven't really noticed Eneos oil before, but it appears to be good stuff!
    I worked in R&D Automotive for 40 years before my retirement earlier this year. The only advantage to using synthetic oil is high temperature oxidation and cold weather start ability. The rule of thumb used to be to change your oil every 3000 miles or 3 months whatever came first. With the advent of better chemistry, today's mineral-based oils can easily last five thousand miles. As far as seeing a lot of metal particles in the first oil change, that can be attributed to wear metals from the initial break in.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuelblender For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I saved OEM Mitsubishi oil filter! Best way to cut open for photo shoot?