Thread: TPMS Question

Country
    United States
    Thanks

TPMS Question

I have had a slow leak on one of my tires since I bought my car back in October 2018. Until yesterday/this morning the warning light never came on and my tire was flat to the ground. This happened one time before as well. I am not exactly sure what to do about this. I think I have a faulty sensor/valve stem. I don't usually have any extra time to leave my car at a dealership to fix it. I am sure a new stem and sensor is way out of my budget (especially from a dealer). So what is the general consensus? Dealership?
    Just some added info, I bought my car new from a dealer almost 80 miles from where I live. It had 28 miles on it. It is a 2018 SE with aluminum 14" rims.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If you have a tire with 26 PSI or lower and you drive the car faster than 15 mph, your TPMS light should have illuminated to warn you of a low pressure condition. If your tire just goes flat in a parking lot without the car moving, your light will not come on. I have verified this with my own car. I aired one of the tires down to 20 PSI and started the engine. Did the TPMS light come on? Nope. But as soon as I drove down the street faster than about 15 mph, it turned on.

If, for some reason, your TPMS system is not alerting you to an obviously low tire when the car is moving at speed, then you've got a TPMS problem. But I can't tell if that's what you are saying.

You have a tire that's obviously leaking air somewhere...and it needs to be physically examined for signs of damage or possible puncture. You can do this easily yourself, or take the car to any reputable tire shop.

Air it back up and then check the pressure every hour or so. If the pressure is dropping that quickly, consider removing the wheel from the car (it's not that hard) and checking the tire for signs of a nail or something stuck in the tread. If you suspect the valve is leaking, spray some soapy water around the valve stem (with the cap off) and see if you see air bubbles. This should be an easy fix for any tire shop...unless you have a nail or damage near the shoulder of the tread. But we'll deal with that after you check out the tire.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 09-02-2019 at 07:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-24-2019),iriegnome (06-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have checked the tire for a nail or something like that, but found nothing. I didn't soapy water the valve stem, but I will tonight when I get home to confirm. I pull the tire as well just to go over it again, but when I rotated them, I gave the tire a very good looking over and didn't find any issues. I will report back

Soapy water or throw it in the bathtub. Most tire shops should be able to test your sensor as well.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...or throw it in the bathtub.
    I never thought about that. My wife would send me packing! But I would do that next if you don't see signs of anything else.

It's remote but always possible that you have a porous aluminum wheel that has a leak. The fact that you say it's always been there has me wondering. But check the valve or put the tire in a tub of water and look for bubbles like Fummins suggested.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iriegnome View Post
    I have had a slow leak on one of my tires since I bought my car back in October 2018. Until yesterday/this morning the warning light never came on and my tire was flat to the ground. This happened one time before as well. I am not exactly sure what to do about this. I think I have a faulty sensor/valve stem. I don't usually have any extra time to leave my car at a dealership to fix it. I am sure a new stem and sensor is way out of my budget (especially from a dealer). So what is the general consensus? Dealership?
    Just some added info, I bought my car new from a dealer almost 80 miles from where I live. It had 28 miles on it. It is a 2018 SE with aluminum 14" rims.
    5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty isn't going to cover a flat tire caused by a leak around the rim or a hole caused by a nail or something, but wouldn't it cover a faulty sensor/valve stem?

Others can chime in on that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

iriegnome (07-31-2019)