Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which oil do you use in 1.2 Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Steve's car has 250,000+ miles on his Mirage. 50 free oil changes from a Cadillac dealership so far. 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles. He hasn't experienced any engine related issues on his car. He's had A/C compressor issues, but not engine issues. He uses Techron to clean his fuel injectors at tire rotation time.

I am sticking with recommended 0W-20, & I highly doubt any 0W-20 product would be bad. They are all rated pretty much the same. Since switching to synthetic oils in my vehicles, I like using a decent oil filter, too. It doesn't seem to be a delicate engine @ all!
    254,400 miles thank you very much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    254,400 miles thank you very much.
    Hey Steve,

How often have you changed your engine air filter and do you replace it with a quality one?
    Also, do you burn oil or have blowby issues?

Sorry to thread jack. One thing that is as important as good clean oil....is keeping it good and clean.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Hey Steve,

How often have you changed your engine air filter and do you replace it with a quality one?
    Also, do you burn oil or have blowby issues?

Sorry to thread jack. One thing that is as important as good clean oil....is keeping it good and clean.
    Air filter gets replaced every 100k miles with whatever Rock Auto has. I don't burn oil and the car has never farted or crapped itself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

gone.a (06-26-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Air filter gets replaced every 100k miles with whatever Rock Auto has. I don't burn oil and the car has never farted or crapped itself.
    Unlike me at a LSU football game tailgate. Cajun food is fantastic but oh so rich! Farting like a pack mule by the 2nd quarter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Unlike me at a LSU football game tailgate. Cajun food is fantastic but oh so rich! Farting like a pack mule by the 2nd quarter.
    i like how we never get off topic or share to much information on threads!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Getting back on topic some - I get turned off by the marketing of products sometimes.

I will use Mobil 1 as an example. I've been using Mobil 1 for about 6 years now.

My first 0W-20 vehicle was my 2011 Subaru Forester that I bought used (15,000 miles) in 2013. Prior to 2013, I never messed with synthetic oils. Owning a vehicle that recommends 0W-20 oil gets you looking @synthetic oils. I bought my Subaru from a dealership 100+ miles away (Milwaukee). My nearest Subaru dealership is 65 miles away (Madison). I don't use dealerships for service. If I did, I wouldn't buy a Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, KIA, Mazda, or a Mitsubishi. I always do my own oil changes, & I typically pick stuff up like that at Walmart. When 0W-20 oil started becoming popular, finding a jug of 0W-20 Mobil 1 on the shelf was quite easy. Other options & brands have increased over the years. I am not saying that is a bad thing. I am somewhat annoyed by Mobil 1, however, even though I have been using it.

So I go on line today & type in "0w-20 Mobil 1", & these are 0W-20 Mobil 1 options @ just Walmart alone.

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, $22.88/5-quarts (declared their best seller!)
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, $25.77/5-quarts
    Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, $22.88/5-quarts
    Mobil 1 Annual Protection Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, $35.84/5-quarts
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage Formula Motor Oil 0W-20, $25.77/5-quarts
    Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-20, $26.94/5-quarts (difference between this & Mobil 1)

If I missed a couple Mobil 1 choices, I apologize. Keep in mind these are the 0W-20 choices from just one oil company, & none of their claims on a jug of their oil trumps the manufacturer's suggested oil change intervals which for a Mirage is somewhere between schedule 1 & 2 (3,750-7,500 miles).

I am not knocking Mobil 1 as being a bad product, but I am ripping on their marketing of oil. It's bad enough people argue about which oil brand is best. Sadly, we could do the same with which Mobil 1 0W-20 is best?

A company like Mobil 1 has created a situation where I don't care which type is best, & I surely don't care what others think is best either. I have more respect for an oil company that has one or two 0W-20 offerings. In all honesty, I respect Motorcraft the most. They offer an affordable synthetic/blend for their vehicles. They may be the most up front & honest in calling their oil an synthetic blend oil, too! Oil companies in the U.S. have a lot of freedom on what they consider a full synthetic oil product to be. This adds to the confusion, & makes comparing products quite difficult. Comparing Mobil 1's offering alone would be a challenge. Yet, they are probably all great products

I've been a Mobil 1 customer, but I see myself going with something else in the future (& sticking with it for the remaining life of the vehicle). If someone knows of a pathetic 0W-20 oil sold in the U.S., I would be interested to know what that might possibly be? I would hate to start buying the wrong stuff!

I don't like being sucked into the marketing hype listed on the side of an 5-quart oil jug. They all do it somewhat.

Ironically, Mobil 1 offers one oil filter choice! If you make a good quality filter, why offers something else? I don't use their oil filters, but I do like their one choice option!

I am sold on reasonable oil change intervals & using a good quality oil filter = relatively clean oil & a happy engine!
    Last edited by Mark; 06-26-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    Euro Car Parts have 35% off use code (sun50) at Checkout Summer Sale! - 35% Off Car Parts
    Yes that's true, however when they sell a 5 litre tub of oil for £50 then take the 35% off you're still overpaying. Car Parts for Less do cheaper deals and believe it or not it's part of Euro Car Parts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (06-26-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Terribly sorry old bean but I'd not use Mannol or that filter either. I got a nod that Mannol somehow recycle oil, you know, give a dog a bad name and all that. As regards to the filter only Mann or Bosch and of course from Mitsubishi, don't know who make filters for Mitzi but they must be quality items.
    I like using the very best European products available!

Avista uses their many own patents for recycling used oil. They sell different grades of recycled base oil to most manufacturers, and use it for their own brands too. It is by no means inferior. The most expensive oils are usually based on or made with recycled base oil. The first oil of the three in that post is a popular Avista brand, and totally matches Mitsubishi specifications for our cars.

https://www.avista-oil.de/en/refinery/process/

SCT markets all sorts of stuff under Mannol, SCT and some other brands, and is often regarded as a particularly price-worthy source of aftermarket products.

As far as the Filtron filter goes, it is uses PFTE for the non-return valve, where just about all others simply use cheap rubber. Radial shaft seals (lip seals) are also PFTE, they would easily leak if made of rubber. PFTE is much more expensive, but highly flexible and retains its properties, unlike rubber. Such non-return valves will work with horizontally placed filters, where rubber won't work. The OP575 also has a bypass valve, the OEM filter doesn't.
    Btw, the Mitsubishi ASX uses practically the same filter as our cars have, but includes a bypass valve. Its main purpose is not for bypassing a clogged filter, but for grossly reducing the time period on startup before oil pressure builds up behind the oil filter.
    Filtron is one of the largest filter makers in Europe. You may have heared of them as Mann + Hummel, and Filtron being a top notch brand. They make OEM filters for just about every premium car maker.

https://academy.filtron.eu/homepage
    Last edited by foama; 06-26-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I like using the very best products!

As far as the Filtron filter goes, it is uses PFTE for the non-return valve, where just about all others simply use cheap rubber. Radial shaft seals (lip seals) are also PFTE, they would easily leak if made of rubber. PFTE is much more expensive, but highly flexible and retains its properties, unlike rubber. Such non-return valves will work with horizontally placed filters, where rubber won't work. The OP575 also has a bypass valve, the OEM filter does not.
    Btw, the Mitsubishi ASX uses practically the same filter as our cars have, but includes a bypass filter. Filtron is one of the largest filter makers in Europe. You may have heared of them as Mann + Hummel. Their top notch brand is Filtron. They make OEM filters for just about every premium brand.
    I feel some of our best oil filters commonly found in the U.S. market are the Wix XP (or Napa Gold made by Wix), Bosch Distance Plus, & the Purolator Boss. What do these filter have in common?

They are owned by Mann + Hummel.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I feel some of our best oil filters commonly found in the U.S. market are the Wix XP (or Napa Gold made by Wix), Bosch Distance Plus, & the Purolator Boss. What do these filter have in common?

They are owned by Mann + Hummel.
    Agreed! And their top notch brand is Filtron.
    Made in their most modern facility. See below.

https://academy.filtron.eu/homepage

Last edited by foama; 06-26-2019 at 07:55 AM.