Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which oil do you use in 1.2 Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Agree! And their top notch brand is Filtron.
    Made in Poland in their most modern facility. See below.

https://academy.filtron.eu/homepage
    I have no doubt the Filtron OP575 Oil Filter may be the top choice for a Mirage, but it's not a oil filter choice I have ever seen in any store here. The only time I hear of this company is when you bring it up. I could order a Filtron oil filter from Amazon, but the shipping costs alone are about what I pay for an oil filter.

I could pick up a Purolator Boss at the place I buy most of my oil filter. They are always in stock. Personally, I feel it may be the very best oil filter offered in any of the stores near me. Having said that, I use the new Purolator One filters. I usually pick them up on sale. They are rated for 10,000 miles, & I change them out when I do oil changes every 5,000 miles. If I ever convinced myself to do 10,000 miles oil changes, I would switch over to the Purolator Boss. I don't see myself doing that, however.

If someone gave me a Wix XP, Napa Gold, or Bosch Distance Plus, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. They are all good oil filters. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Fram Ultra synthetic or Mobil 1 oil filter either. If you are doing 5,000 mile 0w-20 synthetic oil changes, any of these filters will do the job you need them to do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Getting back on topic some - I get turned off by the marketing of products sometimes.
    Interesting. Looks like we have this in common after all.

Keep in mind these are the 0W-20 choices from just one oil company, & none of their claims on a jug of their oil trumps the manufacturer's suggested oil change intervals which for a Mirage is somewhere between schedule 1 & 2 (3,750-7,500 miles).
    It's true. Extended oil drain intervals don't meet warrany requirements. But used oil analysis shows it is possible. Once warranty is up, an owner can consider other options.

Why advertise extended oil changes? Extending oil change intervals can bring big cost savings, particularly to fleet owners. It is better for the environment and conserves resources. Differentiating your product from the rest of the market is nothing new. And of course for anyone reading this, If it's not for you, don't do it.

But if it is for you, who are we to tell you how to treat your own car. And let us know how it works.

A company like Mobil 1 has created a situation where I don't care which type is best, & I surely don't care what others think is best either. I have more respect for an oil company that has one or two 0W-20 offerings. In all honesty, I respect Motorcraft the most. They offer an affordable synthetic/blend for their vehicles. They may be the most up front & honest in calling their oil an synthetic blend oil, too! Oil companies in the U.S. have a lot of freedom on what they consider a full synthetic oil product to be. This adds to the confusion, & makes comparing products quite difficult. Comparing Mobil 1's offering alone would be a challenge. Yet, they are probably all great products

I've been a Mobil 1 customer, but I see myself going with something else in the future (& sticking with it for the remaining life of the vehicle). If someone knows of a pathetic 0W-20 oil sold in the U.S., I would be interested to know what that might possibly be? I would hate to start buying the wrong stuff!

I don't like being sucked into the marketing hype listed on the side of an 5-quart oil jug. They all do it somewhat.
    I used to think the same thing. Now I just stick to specifications. A conventional 0W-20 (if it were available) must perform as a synthetic 0W-20, or any other viscosity range for that matter. I learned this revelation some time ago on BITOG forums, and no longer get hung up over it.

Ironically, Mobil 1 offers one oil filter choice! If you make a good quality filter, why offers something else? I don't use their oil filters, but I do like their one choice option!

I am sold on reasonable oil change intervals & using a good quality oil filter = relatively clean oil & a happy engine!
    Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Laboratories Inc, who make filters for other brands. Champ also offers their own line, but they are not easy to find. It might be worthwhile to look into them.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-26-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Softened phrasing somewhat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I could pick up a Purolator Boss at the place I buy most of my oil filter. They are always in stock. Personally, I feel it may be the very best oil filter offered in any of the stores near me. Having said that, I use the new Purolator One filters.
    Who actually manufactures these filters? Does Purolator make their own? I thought they put their label on someone else's product.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Purolator has been acquired by MANN+HUMMEL, but I still wonder where their filters are made.

PUROLATOR: About Us
    In April 2012, the global filtration company, MANN+HUMMEL, acquired Purolator Filters
    The country of manufacture should be stamped on the product somewhere.
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-26-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Edited quote for clarity.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I like using the very best European products available!

Avista uses their many own patents for recycling used oil. They sell different grades of recycled base oil to most manufacturers, and use it for their own brands too. It is by no means inferior. The most expensive oils are usually based on or made with recycled base oil. The first oil of the three in that post is a popular Avista brand, and totally matches Mitsubishi specifications for our cars.

https://www.avista-oil.de/en/refinery/process/

SCT markets all sorts of stuff under Mannol, SCT and some other brands, and is often regarded as a particularly price-worthy source of aftermarket products.

As far as the Filtron filter goes, it is uses PFTE for the non-return valve, where just about all others simply use cheap rubber. Radial shaft seals (lip seals) are also PFTE, they would easily leak if made of rubber. PFTE is much more expensive, but highly flexible and retains its properties, unlike rubber. Such non-return valves will work with horizontally placed filters, where rubber won't work. The OP575 also has a bypass valve, the OEM filter doesn't.
    Btw, the Mitsubishi ASX uses practically the same filter as our cars have, but includes a bypass valve. Its main purpose is not for bypassing a clogged filter, but for grossly reducing the time period on startup before oil pressure builds up behind the oil filter.
    Filtron is one of the largest filter makers in Europe. You may have heared of them as Mann + Hummel, and Filtron being a top notch brand. They make OEM filters for just about every premium car maker.

https://academy.filtron.eu/homepage
    I hear (see) what you are saying foama but yesterday I swear I saw a link to the oil filters you have mentioned. My question is if PFTE is so expensive why (in the link I saw on Fleabay) are they so cheap? I'm looking to buy an oil filter but as previously stated it'll be Mann (German) or Bosch.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Purolator has been acquired by MANN+HUMMEL, but I still wonder where their filters are made.

PUROLATOR: About Us
    The country of manufacture should be stamped on the product somewhere.
    I am not going to get in an argument over oil filters, & we live in a very global market. Someone like myself that enjoys driving a Mitsubishi built in Thailand probably shouldn't be bashing oil filters made somewhere else.

I will, however, answer your question. I went out to my garage & pulled a "Purolator ONE" filter out of the box. The fine print on the filter reads exactly this -
    MANN + HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC
    Fayetteville, NC 28306
    Made in USA

If you google "who made the first oil filter", this what you get - "In 1923, Ernest Sweetland and George H. Greenhalgh patented the first automotive oil filtration system. They called their invention “Purolator”, short for the words “pure oil later”, and they began a story of quality and innovation that continues to this day." Does any of this matter today, heck no!

If you google where Purolator filters are made you get - "Purolator Filters (Purolator Filters LLC) is an American manufacturer of oil and air filters, based in Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States."

In many cases the take over of a company by another company is a red flag for me. I don't feel that way about Purolator, because MANN + HUMMEL is a respected company worldwide. In this case, they may have made Purolator better? I do not question where Purolator filters are made, but I also don't really care.

MANN + HUMMEL has also associated themselves with some of the larger most respected filter companies. Wix & Purolator are their two big companies that have a presence in the U.S. They are not asking someone like Champion Laboratories to make filters for them. At least I am not aware of that. I would even say Purolator is more of a smaller American market company, and WIX is their larger global market company. Google where WIX filters are made & you get -

"WIX Filters - Plant Locations. With deep manufacturing roots in Gastonia, N.C., WIX is a global company with manufacturing locations on four continents – including North America, South America, Europe and Asia."

I've sort of left off Bosch oil filters, because Bosch makes a number of automotive products. Where & how they are made is a little unclear to me? Some have compared them to the Purolator oil filters. Some sources state they are a German engineered product made in the U.S., but I don't know enough about them. I do, however, know Bosch is a part of MANN + HUMMEL. MANN + HUMMEL website will claim Purolator, WIX, Bosch, and Filtron as their companies.

Ironically, Mobil 1 is the company that doesn't make oil filters (probably why they do stick to one type). I don't necessarily have a high opinion of Champion Laboratories, who will claim to be the largest supplier of filters. I would compare them to a company like MTD. MTD can probably claim they are largest supplier of lawn equipment. MTD puts out some decent stuff, but they also make a lot of junk in my opinion.

Is Mobil 1 oil filters one of their better products? Sure! I could ask where Mobil 1 filters are made, but I don't care. Most of all, I don't think it really matters. It's a very global market we live in. That's why I drive a car made in Thailand, & I think nothing of it!

I do believe some filters are made/constructed better than others. I've looked at a lot clips of guys cutting oil filters apart. You can't really judge how well they work that way, but you do get a sense of who is going above & beyond in the construction of their oil filters. From what I have seen (& I am not going to claim that I have seen it all), the Purolator Boss is in a league of its own. Just placing it on a scale, & you immediately know something is quite different. It's a very substantial product! Other filters that have looked good to me have been the Fram Ultra Synthetic & WIX XP. When those filters are opened up, you can immediately sense you have a product that is different from the rest.

Since I am interested in doing 5,000 mile oil changes, a premium top grade filter may not be utilized to its potential. I've done Super Tech conventional oil with cheap Fram filters for decades. I can't say that has been an issue. My only vehicle that has had major issues has been a 0W-20 vehicle. I don't blame that on the oil, but it may reflect an issue with designs that use these oils.

If I could get a new Honda CRV with its new GDI turbo engines for half price, I wouldn't buy one. I would buy their lowest trim level that has their tried & true 2.4L engine. I am not convince today's vehicles are being made better. I am also not totally sold on 0W-20 or 0W-16 oil being the greatest new thing in the automotive industry.

The Mirage may be the vehicle that changes my mind about things? I really like the simplicity of it's manual power train. If I take care of it, I sense zero concerns. That gives me time to worry or fret about other stuff!

I would have no problem using a Fram Tough Guard, Fram Ultra Synthetic, Mobil 1, Purolator ONE, Bosch Distance Plus, WIX XP, & Purolator Boss. Some may do the job better than others, but they are all decent oil filters.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-26-2019 at 03:44 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

foama (06-26-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I hear (see) what you are saying foama but yesterday I swear I saw a link to the oil filters you have mentioned. My question is if PFTE is so expensive why (in the link I saw on Fleabay) are they so cheap? I'm looking to buy an oil filter but as previously stated it'll be Mann (German) or Bosch.
    Mann + Hummel is a decades old family-operated company, based in Ludwigsburg, Germany, not far from the Stuttgart (Daimler) and Heilbronn (Audi) car factories. They have been very successful in their field, and bought numerous filter companies in different parts of the world. A few years ago (2016?) they bought the small Polish company, invested heavily, and made Filtron their probably most modern facility. Round about 10% of their total employees work there. If I understood it right, the original Mann + Hummel filters sold under that brand are certainly excellent, but the filters out of their new Filtron facility are slightly different and of advanced design. The extensive use of PFTE, for example. If you buy their product, it may come from different factories depending on what part of the planet you are.

Why are they so cheap? Dunno! Seriously, you could send them a mail asking. The way business is conducted in this part of the world, you can bet your arse they will send a swift response. If they sell the OP575 in you country, and they do in the UK, why not give them a try? If you car starts up without the usual "no oil rattle" it should be worth it.
    Last edited by foama; 06-26-2019 at 03:52 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mann + Hummel is a decades old family-operated company, based in Ludwigsburg, Germany, not far from the Stuttgart (Daimler) and Heilbronn (Audi) car factories. They have been very successful in their field, and bought numerous similar companies in different parts of the world. A few years ago (2016?) they bought the small Polish Filtron company, invested heavily, and made Filtron their probably most modern facility. About 10% of their total employees work there. If I understood it right, the original Mann + Hummel filters sold under that brand are certainly excellent, but the filters out of their new Filtron facility are slightly different and of advanced design. The extensive use of PFTE, for example. If you buy their product, it may come from different factories depending on what part of the planet you are at.

Why are they so cheap? Dunno! Seriously, you could send them a mail asking. The way business is conducted in this part of the world, you can bet your arse they will send a swift response. If they sell the OP575 in you country, and they do in the UK, why not give them a try?
    I don't even bother to use the oil filter that I feel is the best in the store that I tend to buy my oil filters from. I have no doubt the OP575 may be the best, but the shipping costs alone are about what I pay for an oil filter locally. I would be paying about 3 times more than what I presently use, & I have zero concerns about the product I am using. I am part Swedish, Polish, and Italian. Maybe I should be driving Fiat and Volvo vehicles with Filtron oil filters?

For now, I am OK with my little Mirage & its Purolator ONE (rated 10,000 miles) oil filters. I appreciate all the information you have shared. It's helped confirm MANN + HUMMEL is a good company, & it encourages me take stock in their products.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Mann + Hummel is a decades old family-operated company, based in Ludwigsburg, Germany, not far from the Stuttgart (Daimler) and Heilbronn (Audi) car factories. They have been very successful in their field, and bought numerous filter companies in different parts of the world. A few years ago (2016?) they bought the small Polish company, invested heavily, and made Filtron their probably most modern facility. Round about 10% of their total employees work there. If I understood it right, the original Mann + Hummel filters sold under that brand are certainly excellent, but the filters out of their new Filtron facility are slightly different and of advanced design. The extensive use of PFTE, for example. If you buy their product, it may come from different factories depending on what part of the planet you are.

Why are they so cheap? Dunno! Seriously, you could send them a mail asking. The way business is conducted in this part of the world, you can bet your arse they will send a swift response. If they sell the OP575 in you country, and they do in the UK, why not give them a try? If you car starts up without the usual "no oil rattle" it should be worth it.
    Thank you foama for a candid response.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

foama (06-26-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I don't even bother to use the oil filter that I feel is the best in the store that I tend to buy my oil filters from. I have no doubt the OP575 may be the best, but the shipping costs alone are about what I pay for an oil filter locally... For now, I am OK with my little Mirage & its Purolator ONE (rated 10,000 miles) oil filters.
    If I lived in the States, likely I would do the same.
    Just a thought: You could try a filter built for the Mitsubishi ASX, it is practically the same except it does have a bypass valve where the OEM for our cars doesn't.