Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Which oil do you use in 1.2 Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Mark, I think there is a misinterpretation here. I'm not disparaging the country of origin. I'm suggesting finding where it's made (what factory), see what else they make and if there's a cheaper equivalent available. I offer this as an opportunity to find a better product at a better price. Just trying to be helpful!!

I get that we are taking advantage of a global market. I drive a Mirage too you know.

Sheesh - I sure didn't expect that response. Remember your advice:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I were you, I would seriously lighten up a little bit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I forgot to add this. I recently bought a filter for another car at NAPA. I think it was their Platinum, and it was on sale at a good price. I expected that it would be made by WIX stateside but instead found it was made in Poland. It's a very well constructed filter, the best I've seen for that application. At that price I bought two, and I'm glad I did.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I forgot to add this. I recently bought a filter for another car at NAPA. I think it was their Platinum, and it was on sale at a good price. I expected that it would be made by WIX stateside but instead found it was made in Poland. It's a very well constructed filter, the best I've seen for that application. At that price I bought two, and I'm glad I did.
    The WIX/Filtron plant is the only one I know of in Poland.
    Maybe the filter is identical to the OP575? Looking at the bypass valve if it is made of PFTE rather than rubber may verify that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The WIX/Filtron plant is the only one I know of in Poland.
    Maybe the filter is identical to the OP575? Looking at the bypass valve if it is made of PFTE rather than rubber may verify that.
    It's a cartridge filter for a different car. It is filter media only, no bypass or anti-drainback valve. In fact, since it is vertically mounted, there is no need for a anti-drainback valve.

It's very well made. Top notch stuff. I have no reason to believe that their other filter models would be any less quality.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Who actually manufactures these filters? Does Purolator make their own? I thought they put their label on someone else's product.
    You seemed to have a lot of questions about Purolator filters. You devoted the next post to them, too. I thought that I was answering your questions for you. Purolator has gone through some changes. Since I use their oil filters for many things (ATV, UTV, riding lawnmower, compact 4WD tractor, etc...), I have taken note of their changes. I believe MANN + HUMMEL has made Purolator even better.

I typically buy most of my oil filters from a Farm & Fleet store near me. Purolator is one of their major brands that they carry, & Purolator seems to make oil filters for most everything! This is not an new oil filter company. If this store sold WIX or Bosch oil filters instead, I would probably buy those. I don't have a strong brand loyalty to most things. I do, however, prefer the oil filter companies that now seem to be all owned by MANN + HUMMEL. I didn't even realize this connection until recently.

Purolator offers three level of oil filters (Classic, ONE, & BOSS). This gives consumers three different price points. At each level, I feel Purolator is very competitive. The ONE seems to be a very good mid-price range filter, & I like changing my oil filter with every oil change. Thus, I have been using the ONE on my Mirage every 5,000 miles. Not changing the oil filter is like putting dirty underwear on after taking a shower to me. Their BOSS filter is surely one of the better oil filters out there, too!
    Last edited by Mark; 06-27-2019 at 04:33 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Laboratories Inc, who make filters for other brands. Champ also offers their own line, but they are not easy to find. It might be worthwhile to look into them.
    From all the research I have done, my personal experience, & availability in my area, I apparently prefer oil filter companies that are now all owned by MANN + HAMMEL.

I haven't really read or seen anything that would make me want to seek out oil filters made by Champion Laboratories, but I do believe Mobil 1 is a good oil filter for $10.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok first, OP you need to look at this thread - https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...il-Viscosities
    - Our engine does not ''need'' or ''require'' a 0w-20

Does anyone have any actual oil analysis data that supports any oil or filter over another or is this whole thread people looking for confirmation bias?

For what it's worth I just put 20,000 miles on my last oil change @ 90K miles. I didn't even need to top it off and the oil still tasted great. I used mobil 1 oil and filter because I liked their marketing the best at the time and it makes me feel good. If my 1986 Toyota Camry owners manual recommended 10K change intervals back then with 5w-30 conventional, then I will do 15-20K now with the right oil.

Unless someone has some actual data I don't think our cars care what oil or filter we use. Just keep it topped off and use what you like.

And another thing, our cars do not require 0w-20. Other countries that don't require automakers to eke out every last little mpg allow up to a 40 or even 50 weight and we all have the same engine, so no we don't ''need'' a 0w-20, that is strictly for efficiency sake. See the above thread link. 0w-20 is ''recommended'' because that's what the advertised and government reported MPG was achieved with, and in the legal world there is a huge difference between recommended and required. In fact there is no actual ''required'' oil viscosity. The repair manual states the oil is ''required'' to have the starburst symbol for automobiles, and it lists a ''required'' minimum oil pressure at idle, and at a specific higher rpm. Those are the only things ''required''.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-29-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Ok first, OP you need to look at this thread - https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...il-Viscosities
    - Our engine does not ''need'' or ''require'' a 0w-20

Does anyone have any actual oil analysis data that supports any oil or filter over another or is this whole thread people looking for confirmation bias?

For what it's worth I just put 20,000 miles on my last oil change @ 90K miles. I didn't even need to top it off and the oil still tasted great. I used mobil 1 oil and filter because I liked their marketing the best at the time and it makes me feel good. If my 1986 Toyota Camry owners manual recommended 10K change intervals back then with 5w-30 conventional, then I will do 15-20K now with the right oil.

Unless someone has some actual data I don't think our cars care what oil or filter we use. Just keep it topped off and use what you like.

And another thing, our cars do not require 0w-20. Other countries that don't require automakers to eke out every last little mpg allow up to a 40 or even 50 weight and we all have the same engine, so no we don't ''need'' a 0w-20, that is strictly for efficiency sake. See the above thread link. 0w-20 is ''recommended'' because that's what the advertised and government reported MPG was achieved with, and in the legal world there is a huge difference between recommended and required. In fact there is no actual ''required'' oil viscosity. The repair manual states the oil is ''required'' to have the starburst symbol for automobiles, and it lists a ''required'' minimum oil pressure at idle, and at a specific higher rpm. Those are the only things ''required''.
    Thanks for that ahausheer, interesting reading. However, I'm happy to use 0w 20 grade oil for the time being. The oils recommended by Mitsubishi is really how one's interpretation see it. I wouldn't hesitate to use 5w 30 but no other, either 0w 20 or 5w 30. It is, of course dependant on whichever suits the climate of the user. As engine wear occurs mostly upon start up the thinner the oil the quicker protection occurs, that said I've seen, on this forum, some very high mileage Mirage's that have used 5w 30. I'll see how the Petronas oil goes and if necessary have another think.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    As engine wear occurs mostly upon start up the thinner the oil the quicker protection occurs, that said I've seen, on this forum, some very high mileage Mirage's that have used 5w 30.
    If the engine sees lots of miles with few starts and stops, such as in highway driving, there will be less start up wear over the life of the engine. Not every car gets that treatment. My typical use is a fifteen minute commute to work and back, and even shorter runs for errands and such. With that kind of use, and that there is little difference in price, I'll stick to the thinner, recommended lubricant.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I'll see how the Petronas oil goes and if necessary have another think.
    From the Product Data Sheet

PETRONAS Syntium 7000 0W-20 Product Data Sheet(PDS)

Quote Originally Posted by PETRONAS Syntium 7000 0W-20 Product Data Sheet(PDS)
    Approvals, Specifications and Recommendations

PETRONAS Syntium 7000 0W-20 is a fully synthetic lubricant that meets and exceeds below performances:-

Approvals and Specifications:
    •API SN PLUS
    •ILSAC GF-5

Note: Always consult your owner’s manual to check recommended specifications for your particular vehicle
    Since it meets those specifications, I'm sure that Harry Potter oil will work just fine.