Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which oil do you use in 1.2 Mirage?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The U.S. Mirage owner's manual lists 0W-20 oil as the only option. Since most 0W-20 oil are synthetic oils (Motorcraft has a 0W-20 synthetic blend), we are guided in that direction. People can debate which brand of synthetic is best.

I would embrace the options listed in your manual. Living in Wisconsin, I would use 0W-20 in the winter & 5W-30 in the summer using your manual guidelines. I use 0W-20, because I don't want to void my warranty.

I've been doing some reading/research on all this, & it's somewhat frustrating/confusing. Full synthetic vs. 100% synthetic & those who use group III base oil stock vs those that use group IV base oil stock (PAO) make it hard or impossible to sort out. It appears the American oil companies has more freedom to market various products as full synthetic oil. Labels on American products are more about marketing. Maybe none of this even matters, but it's surely unclear to me. The Germans, for example, don't allow this confusion to exist (from some of the things I have read).

A quality oil still requires a quality oil filter. My guess is our U.S. oil change intervals (3750 miles/approximately 6,000 km or 7500 miles/approximately 12,000 km) are different than your oil change intervals, too.

The Mirage doesn't appear to be a fragile power train. Clean quality oil with a good oil filter should help it last a long time.
    This boy totally agrees, if the manufacturer states a certain oil I'd adhere to that. We have the same utter confusion here too, don't know about Germany. I remember having cars that weren't fussed, a 20w 50 oil seemed to work in all cars from the 60's to 70's then it all went nuts,this spec, that spec one grade of oil wasn't suitable for all cars, you had to study numbers, letters and Lord knows what else.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I remember having cars that weren't fussed, a 20w 50 oil seemed to work in all cars from the 60's to 70's then it all went nuts,this spec, that spec one grade of oil wasn't suitable for all cars, you had to study numbers, letters and Lord knows what else.
    Improvements in technology have lead to synthetic lubricants that flow better at colder temperatures and hold their viscosity longer. Research found some additives were harmful to the pollution controls, which led to new formulations.

Here's more reading from experts on the subject.

Blackstone Labs | A Brand New Perspective: Digging Into the Timeless Question, “Which Oil is Better?”

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-25-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Improvements in technology have lead to synthetic lubricants that flow better at colder temperatures and hold their viscosity longer. Research found some additives were harmful to the pollution controls, which led to new formulations.

Here's more reading from experts on the subject.

Blackstone Labs | A Brand New Perspective: Digging Into the Timeless Question, “Which Oil is Better?”
    That was an interesting read Eggman, I believe that as long as the correct specification lubricant is used all should be fine as long as regular oil changes are done.
    I'm now no longer concerned about using Petronas oil.
    I have delved deeper into Petronas, it's Malaysian, they have worked in conjunction with Mercedes F1 racing team, but I'm sure at some point in the past Petronas was something to do with the Fiat empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    i

Everybody likes a braggart.
    I love being a braggart!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-25-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Gentlemen, I have been pounding the keys on the laptop for over an hour now trying to find a suitable engine oil. Yes the manual says 0w20 grade to meet ILSAC spec but then says 5w 30. My question to all is this.
    is 0w 20 ILSAC spec good enough. In the UK there is very little information available.
    I found this on Amazon, do any of you guys use it? Sorry but being relatively new here I'll probably have a good few questions.

Image result for petronas syntium 7000 0w20
    Thanks in advance.
    My Mitsu dealership service center uses 0w20 so I figure if its good enough for them, its fine for me. I suspect however that with the simplicity of the Mirage engine, you could get away with cheaper oil with minimal problems over the years.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My Mitsu dealership service center uses 0w20 so I figure if its good enough for them, its fine for me. I suspect however that with the simplicity of the Mirage engine, you could get away with cheaper oil with minimal problems over the years.
    Steve's car has 250,000+ miles on his Mirage. 50 free oil changes from a Cadillac dealership so far. 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles. He hasn't experienced any engine related issues on his car. He's had A/C compressor issues, but not engine issues. He uses Techron to clean his fuel injectors at tire rotation time.

I am sticking with recommended 0W-20, & I highly doubt any 0W-20 product would be bad. They are all rated pretty much the same. Since switching to synthetic oils in my vehicles, I like using a decent oil filter, too. It doesn't seem to be a delicate engine @ all!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-25-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Steve's car has 250,000+ miles on his Mirage. 50 free oil changes from a Cadillac dealership so far. 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles. He hasn't experienced any engine related issues on his car. He's had A/C compressor issues, but not engine issues. He uses Techron to clean his fuel injectors at tire rotation time.

I am sticking with recommended 0W-20, & I highly doubt any 0W-20 product would be bad. They are all rated pretty much the same. Since switching to synthetic oils in my vehicles, I like using a decent oil filter, too. It doesn't seem to be a delicate engine @ all!
    Im going the oil change every 7500 mile route myself, praying I can pull 175k miles without new CVT or other major repair lol. My dealership has a decent special of $40 for oil change, full inspection, and filter change. Im curious if the dealership filter is high quality enough?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The European manual lists 0W20 / ILSAC GF-5 as the best to use, but it also says that other oils, for example 5W30 at comparately modest API levels will do.

Very best fuel economy is with the 0W30 / API SN / ILSAC GF-5 variant, but a decent 5W30 API SN / ILSAC GF-5 is just fine for the mild UK climate, and you probably wouldn't notice any difference in consumption. Just be positive of keeping up with standard maintenance!

Here some products you could source in the UK:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Pennasol-SUP...0AAOSwUaVdEbgf

https://www.ebay.de/itm/MANNOL-5W-30...oAAOSwjk9ZVhJO

https://www.ebay.de/itm/4-Liter-Orig...wAAOSwPWtcIUoB

The probably best oil filter on this side if the atlantic practically eliminates the typical "no oil rattle" during the first seconds after startup, and thus lengthens motor life. You may want to give it a try:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Olfilter-Fil...wAAOSw8K5az1UD

Using the stuff above, an oil change plus filter would cost you around 15 Quid, and that with the finest products available!
    Terribly sorry old bean but I'd not use Mannol or that filter either. I got a nod that Mannol somehow recycle oil, you know, give a dog a bad name and all that. As regards to the filter only Mann or Bosch and of course from Mitsubishi, don't know who make filters for Mitzi but they must be quality items.

Country
    UK
    Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he says.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Thanks Adam, yes I used all the sites including Opie oils and they tend to push 5w 30 or 5w 40 at you. That is contrary to Mitsubishi's recommendations hence my thread. However, whilst awaiting a response I found Car Parts for Less doing Petronas oil for £18.99 which gets decent write up. I got this so cheap as I think there is/was an error in the price as it's commonly around £36.
    Euro Car Parts have 35% off use code (sun50) at Checkout Summer Sale! - 35% Off Car Parts