Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Am Spyder front tires are 165-65-14

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

Can Am Spyder front tires are 165-65-14

Just a useless bit of trivia. A guy at work was showing us his Can Am Spyder and I started looking at the front tires. I had to do a double-take...but sure enough they are the same size 14" tire that the Mirage uses. Just thought that was interesting.

They are motorcycle-only tires so they won't work on a Mirage.

Name:  canam.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  47.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Just a useless bit of trivia. A guy at work was showing us his Can Am Spyder and I started looking at the front tires. I had to do a double-take...but sure enough they are the same size 14" tire that the Mirage uses. Just thought that was interesting.

What does it mean they are motorcycle-only?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I just meant that the tires on this guy's Can Am had a warning message molded into the sidewall that said something like "Motorcycle Use Only." They were some brand I didn't recognize.

HERE is a thread where Can Am owners are discussing 165-65-14 options. Kind of interesting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just meant that the tires on this guy's Can Am had a warning message molded into the sidewall that said something like "Motorcycle Use Only." They were some brand I didn't recognize.

HERE is a thread where Can Am owners are discussing 165-65-14 options. Kind of interesting.
    Oh, so probably they have a lower load limit that only really light vehicles can get away with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Oh, so probably they have a lower load limit that only really light vehicles can get away with.
    Whenever I search what Walmart is offering in 165/65r14 tires, I believe the same tire that you saw comes up quite often? If it is not the exact same tire, it is very similar.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Can-Am-Sp...-R14/571288391

I read a number of reviews in the past of the 165/65r14 Bridgestone Potenza tires being used on the Cam Am Spyder.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Thats really cool! Trivial caveats about the Mirage are always appreciated in my book. Did you mention you drive a Mirage to your co worker?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehayes View Post
    This is the first time I've seen something like this. What is the purpose of this design? I was very interested in how it will feel on the road and how comfortable it is
    Hello stevehayes and welcome to the forum. You'll have to tell us about your Mirage and how you found us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehayes View Post
    This is the first time I've seen something like this. What is the purpose of this design? I was very interested in how it will feel on the road and how comfortable it is
    Never been on one myself, but Can-Am Spyders and Polaris Slingshots are somewhat common in my area. They are easier to drive than a traditional motorcycle. No hand clutch & foot shifting. The Can-Am Sypder would probably require a motorcycle license. Can-Am are simple to drive apparently.

The Polaris Slingshot has been classified as an autocycle (new classification) in Wisconsin & a standard driver's license allows you to operate one. Polaris Slingshot has a 2.4 L engine & 5-speed manual transmission or automatic transmission.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pola...w=1182&bih=579

I think they are popular, because of the older baby boomer generation. They are more stable than a motorcycle. It takes some leg strength to hold up a machine like a Honda Gold Wing when stopped. Some old farts don't want to do that any more.

I know a guy that owns two Slingshots, but he's a mechanic for the dealership that sells them.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yeah, they're really expensive scooters with three wheels (sometimes referred to as roadsters, but it's not what I'd call them).

They're fun do drive, get you low to the ground with lots of wind and bugs in your face (or not). I prefer a motorcycle, personally...if not simply for the $25k+ pricetag these things ask.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I see these quite a few of these here down on the Oregon Coast during the summer. Someone in my town owns a Slingshot though. I see it running around town (when it's not raining).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)