Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post 2 cars of your past, the most reliable and the biggest lemon.

Yeah accords and preludes had them. Pretty fancy!

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your completely right, my memory fails me, it was a 1986 Honda Accord sedan with flip lights, the LX I think? Id have to ask my Dad, he was the one who bought it for me in 1999 when I was 17.
    Aha! I had one of those myself for a short time. An LXi with a 5-speed, and also an '86. Very pleasant car to drive. My mom gave it to me as payment for replacing the engine in her '92 Crown Victoria. Sold it to my brother's girlfriend.

I had an '89 Acura Integra with pop-up lights as well. After a while the bushings in the mechanisms wore a bit, and each headlight would shake and jiggle a bit when I hit bumps in the road. I had that car in '97.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My most reliable would have to be my 97 Metro. In the 25k I put on it I did a brake caliper, timing belt, replaced a flat tire, spark plug wires and at the very end a water pump. From loading it over its payload when I moved, to accidentally skidding down into a ditch I always had confidence I'd get where I was going! Only retired as the frame horn was about to break loose.

My new winter car is my least reliable so far. Not a car of my past yet but takes the cake for unreliability. Clutch is nearly gone, no power under 2K rpm, won't start in rain/humidity and when I went to retrieve it last week(that's what I drove out to get my Mirage, took greyhound to get there this time) the DRL's were glitchy and since the low/high beam circuits are burnt I had to hold the "Flash to pass" switch up manually. All this learned in barely 1000 miles, what a basketcase, it'll need to get a transfusion of reliable parts from my red car. To be fair it has driven equivalent to the moon and halfway back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Your completely right, my memory fails me, it was a 1986 Honda Accord sedan with flip lights
    LEAST RELIABLE:

Ha - I also had an '89 Accord with the pop-up lights.

Unlike yours, mine might have been my LEAST reliable car. But it did have something like 340,000 km on it (211k miles) by the time I got rid of it, so it's not surprising that things were wearing out. The drivetrain was fine.

Or maybe the least reliable award goes to my current 2000 Chevy Metro winter beater. It seems like something's going wrong every couple of weeks with this one - busted exhaust, faulty spark plug, EGR valve, CV joint, rusted brake line. All within the last couple of months. 228,000 km (142k miles).

MOST RELIABLE:

1998 Pontiac Firefly (Chevy Metro clone). The only real failure in 14 years of ownership has been has been exhaust. Then again, it's only got ~45,000 km (28,000 miles) on it. So that doesn't really count, does it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most reliable:

1989 Chevrolet C1500. 350, five speed manual, long bed, regular cab. Pulled anything you put behind it. Felt like it was seriously flying when it was only going 65. Air conditioner worked. The clutch was a bear to hold down.

Least reliable:

1988 Isuzu Trooper.

Dad had an Isuzu truck when I was a kid. It seemed like a good truck. Years later, I find an Isuzu Trooper with fairly low mileage, for a decent price, I bought it.

BAD idea. In eight months I replaced about a mile of vacuum hose, all eight valves, timing belt, two head gaskets, both front CV axles, alternator, carrier bearing in the driveshaft, oxygen sensor, and what finally killed it, when I finally got the engine to run right for more than three weeks at a stretch, was the transmission. It started to randomly and violently slam in and out of overdrive. It was the vehicle that convinced my wife to drive a manual transmission. We owned it the same time as the old chevy shown above, and she ended up driving it because it wouldn't strand her somewhere. The trooper was great if you could avoid driving it on a paved road, once the transmission problem manifested itself, we turned it into an off road toy. We would just tow it to the trails, since we already HAD a towbar for it, you needed one because most of the time when you tried to drive it somewhere, it wouldn't make it back home.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    Most reliable:

1989 Chevrolet C1500. 350, five speed manual, long bed, regular cab. Pulled anything you put behind it. Felt like it was seriously flying when it was only going 65. Air conditioner worked. The clutch was a bear to hold down.

Least reliable:

1988 Isuzu Trooper.

Dad had an Isuzu truck when I was a kid. It seemed like a good truck. Years later, I find an Isuzu Trooper with fairly low mileage, for a decent price, I bought it.

BAD idea. In eight months I replaced about a mile of vacuum hose, all eight valves, timing belt, two head gaskets, both front CV axles, alternator, carrier bearing in the driveshaft, oxygen sensor, and what finally killed it, when I finally got the engine to run right for more than three weeks at a stretch, was the transmission. It started to randomly and violently slam in and out of overdrive. It was the vehicle that convinced my wife to drive a manual transmission. We owned it the same time as the old chevy shown above, and she ended up driving it because it wouldn't strand her somewhere. The trooper was great if you could avoid driving it on a paved road, once the transmission problem manifested itself, we turned it into an off road toy. We would just tow it to the trails, since we already HAD a towbar for it, you needed one because most of the time when you tried to drive it somewhere, it wouldn't make it back home.
    My brother had an Isuzu Axiom, it didnt last very long. I dont understand Isuzu made super reliable lil trucks in the 80s what happened? Its sucks Suzuki is gone now too, the Vitara was a highly rated cuv. Japanese reliability, to me, has always extended to all their manufacturers especially over American brands. Maybe Im obtusing too hard.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most Reliable:
    2007 Toyota Yaris or 1998 Honda Civic EX

Least Reliable
    2001 Jeep Cherokee or 2001 Ford Focus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-05-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Most reliable, my 2015 Wrangler. It's been through hell and back, been rolled, been beat to hell, never had an issue in 70,000km.

Least, hmm. Had an 83 CB750C. Would blow fuses at random, fuel tank seemed to fill 20l or 1l depending on the day, ran 300km a tank or 30. Clutch slipped above 7500rpm.

Left me stranded often. But I loved it.
    Name:  FB_IMG_15623189525124306.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  75.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-05-2019),dspace9 (07-05-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post

Least, hmm. Had an 83 CB750C. Would blow fuses at random, fuel tank seemed to
    That's a nice motorbike there, I love the rims. My friend had an old Honda motorcycle, smaller with the flat seat and blue and silver if I remember.

I don't know much about motorcycles. I think Kawasaki had one of the first mass-produced 3 cylinder engines, in their 750 I believe bikes in the 1970s.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yup. Big heavy beast of a bike with a straight 4 engine, true quad exhaust. Sounded sick, amazing torque. More power than a Mirage, almost a third the weight (yes, VERY heavy bike)

Traded it for a supercharged 2006 CB600SS later on. That was reliable, but uncomfortable. Realized I liked comfy back roads, and while doing 340km/h was fun, I probably wasn't going to live to do it too many more times. Nothing like doing 215mph with just 300lb of bike beneath you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-05-2019)