Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: These come as an "Extra' Bloody Rip off. (Spare tire optional in UK)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foama, I never knew it got that hot in Germany. Those temperatures will be normal here in the next few weeks, but it's been mild here so far. We're only just starting to hit 110°F / 43°C.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Strewth mate, 44 C will definitely cook me. When it gets as high as 22 I'm almost scared sh??less and have to hide at home.
    I'm happy I'm not alone in hating these bloody repair kits.
    I have the 2014 model and Im not sure mine came with a spare initially, but when I demanded a spare tire for both our Mirage Sedan and Hatchback as part of the deal, the dealership keep dicking me around for both seperate purchases. They were going to leave both spare tire wells in the back empty. I was livid and refused to sign anything until I watched them put the spares, with a jack, and other appropriate tools in the trunk. And dont even get me started on the spare key fobs that was a whole other battle. Im guessing they take out the spare tires from used Mirages to save money? Thats a shame you a new owner, had to purchase a spare tire kit, highway robbery. Oliver Cromwell would be turning over in his grave if he heard about this shady and mind you, dangerous, business practice being performed in the UK. A fix-a-flat tire canister instead of a spare has caused some deaths on American highways for sure. An owner gets his 1st flat on his new car, founds out then and there his car didnt have spare and is forced to use an unreliable glue can and foot pump product, thinks he did it correctly, only to have his tire again blow out further endangering his life. At least the spare tire that is used by Mitsubishi is of decent quality.
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 06-27-2019 at 02:37 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-27-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I have the 2014 model and Im not sure mine came with a spare initially, but when I demanded a spare tire for both our Mirage Sedan and Hatchback as part of the deal, the dealership keep dicking me around for both seperate purchases. They were going to leave both spare tire wells in the back empty. I was livid and refused to sign anything until I watched them put the spares, with a jack, and other appropriate tools in the trunk. And dont even get me started on the spare key fobs that was a whole other battle. Im guessing they take out the spare tires from used Mirages to save money? Thats a shame you a new owner, had to purchase a spare tire kit, highway robbery. Oliver Cromwell would be turning over in his grave if he heard about this shady and mind you, dangerous, business practice being performed in the UK. A fix-a-flat tire canister instead of a spare has caused some deaths on American highways for sure. An owner gets his 1st flat on his new car, founds out then and there his car didnt have spare and is forced to use an unreliable glue can and foot pump product, thinks he did it correctly, only to have his tire again blow out further endangering his life. At least the spare tire that is used by Mitsubishi is of decent quality.
    I mean what imbecile dreamed up this dangerous car repair kit? He needs executing. OK £65 isn't going to bust the bank but if ever there's a next time I buy a car no shekels will be handed over unless I get a proper spare wheel.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I have the 2014 model and Im not sure mine came with a spare initially
    I'm pretty sure all North American Mirages are and were sold with a spare tire since I don't recall anyone else complaining about it here.

Sounds like you gave money to the wrong company, and they don't deserve your business.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

In this province I'm pretty sure it's mandatory for a dealer to sell a car without a spare unless it comes with that stupid repair kit or runflat tires. I'm pretty sure our junky 14' spark came with that air compressor and jar of slime.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-27-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I mean what imbecile dreamed up this dangerous car repair kit? He needs executing. OK £65 isn't going to bust the bank but if ever there's a next time I buy a car no shekels will be handed over unless I get a proper spare wheel.
    Car companies claim its to save on curb weight for better gas mileage and that no one needs a spare because everyone should have curbside assistance. Total bullcrap. As if Id like to wait an hour on the highway for a tow truck to take my car to a tireshop, when I could put on a spare in 10 mins and be off. Have you seen these spares? They're almost the same size as our regular tires! You could def drive around on them for days considering how light the Mirage is!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Car companies claim its to save on curb weight for better gas mileage and that no one needs a spare because everyone should have curbside assistance. Total bullcrap. As if Id like to wait an hour on the highway for a tow truck to take my car to a tireshop, when I could put on a spare in 10 mins and be off. Have you seen these spares? They're almost the same size as our regular tires! You could def drive around on them for days considering how light the Mirage is!
    I have used my spare many times. If I get a flat on the front I always do a "three-way" tire change. I put the temp spare on the rear, then use the good rear wheel I removed to replace the flat one on the front.

If I don't do this I can hear my differential WAILING until I get the flat fixed, as the temp spare is considerably smaller in diameter than the road wheels. Also, I think putting a temp spare on the front negatively affects the car's handling too much.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-27-2019)

I had to go change a flat yesterday. Driver hit a huge pothole pulling into a parking lot and bent the wheel. No tire slim or plug kit could have fixed that one. When he went to change it discovered the tire iron was mia so that was a nice surprise. Previous driver must have had a better use for it. If they had to drive across town I would have done what you suggested by putting the spare on the back but was in a rush and the car was in a bad spot.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I had to go change a flat yesterday. Driver hit a huge pothole pulling into a parking lot and bent the wheel. No tire slim or plug kit could have fixed that one. When he went to change it discovered the tire iron was mia so that was a nice surprise. Previous driver must have had a better use for it. If they had to drive across town I would have done what you suggested by putting the spare on the back but was in a rush and the car was in a bad spot.
    I will typically wait until my day off to take the work car in to have a flat repaired. So the spare could be on for as many as five days. With as much rain as we get around here it is a bad idea to leave a spare on the front for that long.

However, if I knew I just needed to get it back home or off the road I would just throw the spare on the front.

It's not a bad idea to make sure the spare has air in it. The one I used yesterday didn't look like it had 50psi. But it had more than 0 so it was good to go.
    I got a flat in my bronco once after hitting a log. It was all muskeg so I kept going til we hit the gravel road and discovered my 2 spares were flat. So just kept driving back to town til there was nothing left of the tire then swapped out a flat spare til it blew apart. We were about 50km out of town down old logging roads before everyone had cell phones. Good times. I miss that pos

Mirage videos: