Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: These come as an "Extra' Bloody Rip off. (Spare tire optional in UK)

Country
    UK
    Thanks

These come as an "Extra' Bloody Rip off. (Spare tire optional in UK)

I don't know if it's the same in North America but over in the UK and that place called Europe most cars just come with a stupid tyre repair kit. It come with a can of super glue you have to pump into the tyre. But, and here's the but, you have to remove the item that caused the flat, ever tried that? Also if the offending item penetrates the sidewall of the tyre it cannot be used thus leaving you stranded. They claim it's a GREEN thing, bullshot, it's a money saving tactic making us oldies etc to purchase the spare wheel kit which I got priced up at a Mitsubishi dealership, the cost, £160. Thieving non pedigree souls. I managed to source one from the bay complete for £65.
    How do they come supplied over there?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My 2015 has a temporary spare.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

All the 15' 17 and 19' Mirage's we have came with a mini(temp) spare. Our stupid 15' Optima came with an air compressor and bottle of tire slime. I agree, that crap is useless. The wife hit a pothole bending the steel wheel so bad it went flat instantly. She read the manual and tried that slime and air compressor junk before calling me. I had to run home and grab a summer wheel, jack and impact to go change it in a parking lot on the other side of the city.
    Since then I tore out the foam insert in the trunk that holds the useless air compressor and replaced it with a full size spare. I suggest you do the same. Or at least a mini spare. The tools just lay where the spare goes but the jack is mounted under the LH(drivers) seat in our cars, wonder if they mount on the rh side on rh drive cars?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-26-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My 2015 has a temporary spare.
    Is it standard or an extra. The wheel kit I've just bought is also a space saver.

Comes standard.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-26-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Our stupid 15' Optima came with an air compressor and bottle of tire slime. I agree, that crap is useless. The wife hit a pothole bending the steel wheel so bad it went flat instantly. She read the manual and tried that slime and air compressor junk before calling me. I had to run home and grab a
    Good heavens, was she driving in the UK? the land of pot holes and sink holes.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In Europe all Space Star come with exactly that blasted crappy repair kit instead of a spare wheel.

Since we have much lower temperatures and loads more snow in winter than in the Pennines, you need two sets of wheels in these parts. With four summer wheels on the car, a winter wheel in the boot is the spare. In winter a summer wheel becomes the spare.

I bought a set of 14x4.5J steel rims plus a set of LRR Continental Eco tyres 165//65 R 14 for a total of €270.-

Btw: Although it usually gets much more winterly here, we currently have a heat wave with 44.8°C(!) in the shade on the porch...
    Last edited by foama; 06-26-2019 at 04:40 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

itschad (06-26-2019),spacestarGermany (06-29-2019)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In Europe all Space Star come with exactly that blasted crappy repair kit instead of a spare wheel.

Since we have much lower temperatures and loads more snow in winter than in the Pennines, you need two sets of wheels in these parts. With four summer wheels on the car, a winter wheel in the boot is the spare. In winter a summer wheel becomes the spare.

Btw: Although it usually gets much more winterly here, we currently have a heat wave with 44.8°C(!) in the shade on the porch...
    Strewth mate, 44 C will definitely cook me. When it gets as high as 22 I'm almost scared sh??less and have to hide at home.
    I'm happy I'm not alone in hating these bloody repair kits.

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post

With four summer wheels on the car, a winter wheel in the boot is the spare. In winter a summer wheel becomes the spare.
    I do the exact same thing.
    44c is way to hot for me too. I was complaining when it got to 30c here. I'm getting ac installed at home for the 2-3 weeks of summer we get each year in between winter and more winter.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some cars don't even have a compact spare as an option. The fact that a spare is standard, at least here in the U.S., was one of the things that steered me towards a Mirage.