Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Mitsubishi Moving US HQ to Tennessee to be closer to Nissan US HQ

  1. #11
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,588
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked 368 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Me thinks relocating to be closer to your flailing "alliance partner" might not have been a good business move.

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/12/cars/...ort/index.html
    Id trust GM to go out of business before Nissan. It was the right move for Mitsubishi to get out of California. Their taxes and overall culture is toxic to businesses trying to get back on their feet, unless of course your in Silicon Valley. Its the state where your either filthy rich or subsidized poor, middle class is leaving in droves.



  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

    fc321 (12-05-2019),poorman1 (11-12-2019)

  3. #12
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,960
    Thanks
    2,451
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Id trust GM to go out of business before Nissan. It was the right move for Mitsubishi to get out of California. Their taxes and overall culture is toxic to businesses trying to get back on their feet, unless of course your in Silicon Valley. Its the state where your either filthy rich or subsidized poor, middle class is leaving in droves.
    I think that there are a lot of economic reasons why a corporation would want to move out of California for the reasons you stated. However, Mitsubishi moved to Tennessee to be in close proximity to their alliance partner with all of the resources, new models, platforms, etc.. The reality is that Nissan might actually be the weakest of the alliance partners. It reminds me of the VW & Suzuki partnership that led to a big bunch of nothing.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.5 mpg (Imp)


  4. #13
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,588
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked 368 Times in 307 Posts
    Every other car I see is a Nissan though. Innumerable. Nissan is just hitting a rough patch that doesnt require a bailout like our manufacturers did.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

    fc321 (12-05-2019)

  6. #14
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,960
    Thanks
    2,451
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Every other car I see is a Nissan though. Innumerable. Nissan is just hitting a rough patch that doesnt require a bailout like our manufacturers did.
    Mitsubishi didn't need a bailout. Mitsubishi produces Kei cars for the Japanese domestic market for Nissan. Mitsubishi was found to have fudged the economy ratings of their Kei car (reported not by the government but by Nissan itself). This temporarily caused their share prices to drop a lot then Nissan used this opportunity (that they themselves created) to buy (on the cheap) controlling interest on Mitsubishi's board. Nissan outed a supplier (Mitsubishi) to gain advantage and control over a smaller coveted rival. This was nothing more than power grab by Nissan. Obviously someone at upper levels of Nissan must have realized awhile back that behind the facade, there wasn't anything there for future products and the only way for survival was to partner with others. This is certainly playing out currently with the very bad financials that were reported by Nissan.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.5 mpg (Imp)


  7. #15
    Senior Member Dirk Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    2,588
    Thanks
    871
    Thanked 368 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Mitsubishi didn't need a bailout. Mitsubishi produces Kei cars for the Japanese domestic market for Nissan. Mitsubishi was found to have fudged the economy ratings of their Kei car (reported not by the government but by Nissan itself). This temporarily caused their share prices to drop a lot then Nissan used this opportunity (that they themselves created) to buy (on the cheap) controlling interest on Mitsubishi's board. Nissan outed a supplier (Mitsubishi) to gain advantage and control over a smaller coveted rival. This was nothing more than power grab by Nissan. Obviously someone at upper levels of Nissan must have realized awhile back that behind the facade, there wasn't anything there for future products and the only way for survival was to partner with others. This is certainly playing out currently with the very bad financials that were reported by Nissan.
    No I meant our fellow American manufacturers needed a bailout.

  8. #16
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,228
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 270 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Mitsubishi didn't need a bailout. Obviously someone at upper levels of Nissan must have realized awhile back that behind the facade, there wasn't anything there for future products and the only way for survival was to partner with others. This is certainly playing out currently with the very bad financials that were reported by Nissan.
    If Renault has any sense they'll cut their ties with Nissan and throw in with Maruti Suzuki. I had no idea Nissan was in dire straits. Those numbers they posted are probably bogus and the company is likely more than halfway down the swirling toilet bowl.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

    inuvik (11-12-2019)

  10. #17
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,960
    Thanks
    2,451
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    If Renault has any sense they'll cut their ties with Nissan and throw in with Maruti Suzuki. I had no idea Nissan was in dire straits. Those numbers they posted are probably bogus and the company is likely more than halfway down the swirling toilet bowl.
    I agree, everytime anyone digs deeper, it's just more rot. Maybe Nissan has the chops to get out of it's current funk but the problem is across their whole range of products. Look at the Frontier, it's basically been unchanged for 15 years. Don't get me wrong, Mitsubishi isn't the updating king either but at least they have a design focus and seem to have a plan. Nissan's plan seems to be "move along folks, nothing to see here" as the wheels come off the wagon.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.5 mpg (Imp)


  11. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,176
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 983 Times in 796 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Id trust GM to go out of business before Nissan.
    I don't think anyone feels Nissan will disappear in the U.S. I do believe its imagine is tarnished. If you continue to produce mediocre/inferior products, it will catch up with you over time. It's not a brand I would presently consider.

    I predict Hyundai/KIA combined sales will start to surpass Nissan in a few years. I sense Hyundai/KIA are doing a better job of changing with the times. The KIA Soul alone outsells the entire Mitsubishi line up in the United States some years.

    https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/u-s-au...mber-2018-ytd/
    Last edited by Mark; 11-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.

  12. #19
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,960
    Thanks
    2,451
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 798 Posts
    Interesting article about Nissan today. Nothing about any “Alliance” platforms.

    https://carbuzz.com/news/nissan-has-...nges-happening

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.5 mpg (Imp)


  13. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,176
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 983 Times in 796 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Interesting article about Nissan today. Nothing about any “Alliance” platforms.

    https://carbuzz.com/news/nissan-has-...nges-happening
    I still predict Hyundai/KIA will be passing Nissan in the United States in just a few years. Hyundai making a $410 million investment in making a Santa Cruz pickup in Alabama is a good example of Hyundai moving forward.

    "Hyundai to make Santa Cruz pickups at Alabama plant in $410 million expansion"

    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/h...222825656.html

    Ironically, American companies move jobs elsewhere. Meanwhile, foreign companies are bringing jobs here. I sort of chuckle when someone says they like buying American. Not sure what that even means any more in the auto world?

    It's to bad Mitsubishi isn't making this type of move. The Mitsubishi Triton appears to be a much better pickup than the Santa Cruz design. An affordable small pickup truck would be popular here.


    Last edited by Mark; 11-14-2019 at 03:34 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •