Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Moving US HQ to Tennessee to be closer to Nissan US HQ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I still predict Hyundai/KIA will be passing Nissan in the United States in just a few years. Hyundai making a $410 million investment in making a Santa Cruz pickup in Alabama is a good example of Hyundai moving forward.

"Hyundai to make Santa Cruz pickups at Alabama plant in $410 million expansion"

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/h...222825656.html

Ironically, American companies move jobs elsewhere. Meanwhile, foreign companies are bringing jobs here. I sort of chuckle when someone says they like buying American. Not sure what that even means any more in the auto world?
    I agree 100%

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I like buying American for a lot of reasons.

I understand we are in a global economy, and there are lots of things made overseas and outside the U.S. that are perfectly suitable and durable for their purpose.

It's a sticky situation fraught with subtleties. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's worth exploring further as the topic is certain to devolve into petty, polarizing, political argument and bickering.

Though there is lots of ground to cover there, that's for sure.

After all, Mitsubishi set up here with Chrysler but things didn't turn out. At least we have our Favorite Little Car.

Regarding the article:

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Interesting article about Nissan today. Nothing about any “Alliance” platforms.

https://carbuzz.com/news/nissan-has-...nges-happening
    I thought it would have some announcement from Nissan. It's just reacting to the Nissan sales figures.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-14-2019 at 09:00 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nissan's problem is that they make more vehicles than they can sell and they just keep doing it. I live close to Nashville and am there for work frequently and I could take you to the parking lot of a certain now defunct NASCAR race track where they pile new Nissans in straight from the factory every single day... and they just keep adding. Its insane.

That said, Nashville is just booming, and with no state income tax, this move should be good for Mitsu, other than the fact that most of the Japanese employees will be sad moving from So Cal. I know that is a huge concern for the Japanese company I work for if they were ever to move.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Nissan's problem is that they make more vehicles than they can sell and they just keep doing it. I live close to Nashville and am there for work frequently and I could take you to the parking lot of a certain now defunct NASCAR race track where they pile new Nissans in straight from the factory every single day... and they just keep adding. Its insane.

That said, Nashville is just booming, and with no state income tax, this move should be good for Mitsu, other than the fact that most of the Japanese employees will be sad moving from So Cal. I know that is a huge concern for the Japanese company I work for if they were ever to move.
    They'll get over it once they see 50% of their income isnt sucked dry by taxes. Now driving thru the endless hordes of homeless people might be tough when they do move.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    They'll get over it once they see 50% of their income isnt sucked dry by taxes. Now driving thru the endless hordes of homeless people might be tough when they do move.
    There's wayyyy more homeless in SoCal...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, this isn't going to help Nissan's reputation:

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/15/77975...al-fire-hazard

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    There's wayyyy more homeless in SoCal...
    I think that's what he was saying...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting interview that basically states the Nissan & Renault need Mitsubishi to survive, not the other way around.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/12/0...vive-clsa.html

The bad news for Nissan keeps rolling along.

https://www.motor1.com/news/386140/n...ns-save-money/
    Last edited by inuvik; 12-05-2019 at 03:34 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (12-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think Nissan should give a 200k mile warranty on their Jatco transmissions. That would regain consumer confidence. Because most of their bad reputation is from these poor quality transmissions.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-05-2019)

They'd better have a lot of cvt's in stock to keep up for the next 10-15 years then. I'm kinda disappointed most mfg's don't provide a warranty like Mitsubishi's. Up here 5year 100000km/60k mile is pretty standard. I wonder if Mitsubishi just assumes a lot of people just won't read/and or follow the recommended service schedule or if they do, they follow the regular when should be following the severe service one voiding any claims.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)