Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video depiction of possible Renault/Mitsubishi designed Mirage

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Video depiction of possible Renault/Mitsubishi designed Mirage

https://youtu.be/phA45dkBkXE
    New design Mirage will share the same platform as the Nissan Kick, which translates to the Mirage losing its reputation as one of the few reliable vehicles that uses a JATCO CVT. The Nissan Jukes were plagued with CVT problems and they used the exact same one as the Mirage. So it'll probably weigh 700 lbs more but will still have a 3 cylinder?!? Wow, was really hoping our Mirage could of lasted more than 5 years. Sad!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    New design Mirage will share the same platform as the Nissan Kick, which translates to the Mirage losing its reputation as one of the few reliable vehicles that uses a JATCO CVT. The Nissan Jukes were plagued with CVT problems and they used the exact same one as the Mirage. So it'll probably weigh 700 lbs more but will still have a 3 cylinder?!? Wow, was really hoping our Mirage could of lasted more than 5 years. Sad!
    Has there been an official announcement from Mitsubishi corporate on this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    New design Mirage will share the same platform as the Nissan Kick, which translates to the Mirage losing its reputation as one of the few reliable vehicles that uses a JATCO CVT.
    The whole video feel makes me feel skeptical this is nothing more than rumour mill.

To be honest, from the looks of it, I'm not sure this video is anything more than a homemade compilation of internet photos of "what if" Mitsubishi Mirages I have myself seen in the past online.

The interior at 1:04 looks like it's from a 2008 Mitsubishi (CD player?), and then the next shot is of a 2014 Mirage like mine. Not sure the caption on this video means a for sure on the Jukes Mirage. That would make the Mirage pretty big compared to now, hope this doesn't happen.

Agreed it would be a shame if the Mirage goes. Long live the current gen Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Much of the video is a year-old rendering by independent designer Gábor Farkas, based on rumors.

Mitsubishi Concept MRG Render

Gábor Farkas is a 30-years old amateur designer from Budapest, Hungary.

He works for an advertising agency and is an “enthusiastic Mitsubishi fan” and owner of a Mitsubishi Colt CA.
    Last edited by Scratchpaddy; 06-29-2019 at 02:32 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    If it isn’t a press release from Mitsubishi Corporate then it’s just “wishful thinking or nonsense”. 2020 models will be arriving soon and with the lack of news releases from the mothership then the 2020 Mirage will be strictly a carryover from 2019’s with minimal or zero changes. If they were going to be Renault’s then Mitsubishi would have had to submitted EPA and crash testing certification 1-2 years ago and that hasn’t happened. The 2020 Outlander Sport was announced with a facelift and dropping the 5 speed manual transmission. Which is precisely the reason I pulled the trigger and bought a 2019 Outlander Sport with a 5 speed instead of another Mirage.
    Last edited by inuvik; 06-29-2019 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Additinal Info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If it isn’t a press release from Mitsubishi Corporate then it’s just “wishful thinking or nonsense”. 2020 models will be arriving soon and with the lack of news releases from the mothership then the 2020 Mirage will be strictly a carryover from 2019’s with minimal or zero changes.
    I completely agree. If there were a new Mirage replacement in the pipeline set for a 2020 release...even a late 2020 release...we would be seeing spy pics of it and have way more concrete info. I suspect Mitsubishi will be carrying over the current Mirage platform through at least the 2020 MY as long as there are no new government safety or emissions requirements which would necessitate it's redesign or cancellation. I know Mitsubishi's "Forward Collision Mitigation" system is already offered on Mirages in other countries, and that is the only thing I can think of the government here in the States might mandate in the near future.

Hell, Mitsubishi sold basically the same Lancer for ten years. People buying these kinds of cars don't expect a complete platform redesign every five years, so I think the current Mirage still has some life left in it.

And people are buying it.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I completely agree. If there were a new Mirage replacement in the pipeline set for a 2020 release...even a late 2020 release...we would be seeing spy pics of it and have way more concrete info. I suspect Mitsubishi will be carrying over the current Mirage platform through at least the 2020 MY as long as there are no new government safety or emissions requirements which would necessitate it's redesign or cancellation. I know Mitsubishi's "Forward Collision Mitigation" system is already offered on Mirages in other countries, and that is the only thing I can think of the government here in the States might mandate in the near future.

Hell, Mitsubishi sold basically the same Lancer for ten years. People buying these kinds of cars don't expect a complete platform redesign every five years, so I think the current Mirage still has some life left in it.

And people are buying it.
    Are the sales numbers still good?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Are the sales numbers still good?
    Relatively speaking, yes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Hey Dirk, what do you think about updating the thread title? Folks searching for 2020 model info might think that video has what they are looking for when in fact, it is an artist's wishful thinking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If it isn’t a press release from Mitsubishi Corporate then it’s just “wishful thinking or nonsense”. 2020 models will be arriving soon and with the lack of news releases from the mothership then the 2020 Mirage will be strictly a carryover from 2019’s with minimal or zero changes. If they were going to be Renault’s then Mitsubishi would have had to submitted EPA and crash testing certification 1-2 years ago and that hasn’t happened. The 2020 Outlander Sport was announced with a facelift and dropping the 5 speed manual transmission. Which is precisely the reason I pulled the trigger and bought a 2019 Outlander Sport with a 5 speed instead of another Mirage.
    Darn. Part of the reason I bought a 2019 was because I was worried Mitsubishi would turn it into something I didn't want for 2020. Now I see I should have waited a year, because 2020 is a much cooler number than 2019.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

bzacon (07-02-2019)