Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a1992 Dodge Stealth / Mitsu 3000 GT a Good Buy or No?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My friend had a Mitsubishi 3000gt back in the early 2000's he drove it cross country too I remember. It was not super fast but it went okay for that time period.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-30-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    My friend had a Mitsubishi 3000gt back in the early 2000's he drove it cross country too I remember. It was not super fast but it went okay for that time period.
    That's interesting to know. The paint on this Dodge version is going flakey a bit, like the transparent coating. My friend paints cars on the side so I could get that finished reasonably.

If the car isn't all bondo'ed, I am interested in a summer driver which will also act as way to extend my 2014 Mirage's powertrain warranty to 2024.

The Dodge Stealth is a gamble, but the car is a real looker, and Supra's of the similar age are going for high bucks, so you never know long term investment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Chrysler's version of the 3.0L V6 is the same engine family as the Stealth/3000GT but it's not an exact same engine. The 3.0L SOHC engine used in Chrysler made Chrysler's is lower compression and non-interference in design.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

BecauseRaceCar (06-30-2019),dspace9 (06-30-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Chrysler's version of the 3.0L V6 is the same engine family as the Stealth/3000GT but it's not an exact same engine. The 3.0L SOHC engine used in Chrysler made Chrysler's is lower compression and non-interference in design.
    Thanks Dodge Aries K, what's your opinion on the general reliability of these engines?

Every used car has a different history obviously. This particular Stealth has really high miles. Yet the owner claims the car runs great.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Thanks Dodge Aries K, what's your opinion on the general reliability of these engines?

Every used car has a different history obviously. This particular Stealth has really high miles. Yet the owner claims the car runs great.
    Do you have a mechanic friend who can go with you to look the car over?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do you have a mechanic friend who can go with you to look the car over?
    My friend isn't a mechanic he and I together know at least some about cars, and mechanical things generally.

The Dodge Stealth Mitsubishi doesn't have to be perfect to be of interest to me, the seller has been claiming a lot, like fine to drive me home and run great, and be currently on the road and licensed etc.

My major concern Eggman is the underneath, if it's in great shape fine but if the car is all rotted out no thanks, a flashlight will be a good tool to have on hand. When and if I go see the car. I have my reservations.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Here’s a guy that stuffed a LS1 into a Starion. Skip to the first minute of the video to bypass this guys “commercial”.

https://youtu.be/RpmymrOoir4
    Sorry Inuvik I think I forgot to comment on that video there with the red 80's Starion. Great video. I wouldn't drive that fast in that very unique car.

Also try finding a Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg hatchback from the early 90s, I don't even think they were imported to North America.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    My friend isn't a mechanic he and I together know at least some about cars, and mechanical things generally.
    Well, I was thinking any friend who is a mechanic but you are right, some knowledge is better than none. Also, input from an unbiased source can point out stuff that might otherwise be missed.

The Dodge Stealth Mitsubishi doesn't have to be perfect to be of interest to me, the seller has been claiming a lot, like fine to drive me home and run great, and be currently on the road and licensed etc.
    I bid on a vehicle years ago and won the auction. I was told it's ready to go across the country, just buy a one-way ticket and drive it home. When I got there, it was nothing like it was presented to be. I am certain I would have died from carbon monoxide poisoning if I attempted to drive it on the highway, the exhaust was that bad. I declined the purchase. The seller threatened to leave negative feedback. I said, go right ahead. I'll leave negative feedback on you for deceptive advertising. I got home pretty upset at having wasted a weekend driving several states just to be disappointed, but I got home alive.

That is a big reason why I dislike eBay and the bums that ruin it. So my advice is bring a buddy if only to talk you out of making a mistake.

My major concern Eggman is the underneath, if it's in great shape fine but if the car is all rotted out no thanks, a flashlight will be a good tool to have on hand. When and if I go see the car. I have my reservations.
    A good fabricator at a good body shop can take care of a lot of missing metal. It's the other parts that can be difficult to source, and we know this all too well on our Favorite Little Cars.

Best wishes chasing your dreams. I know what it's like.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-30-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That is a big reason why I dislike eBay and the bums that ruin it. So my advice is bring a buddy if only to talk you out of making a mistake.

A good fabricator at a good body shop can take care of a lot of missing metal. It's the other parts that can be difficult to source, and we know this all too well on our Favorite Little Cars.

Best wishes chasing your dreams. I know what it's like.
    That's a crazy used car story right there. I would never buy or auction buy any car sight unseen. This blue Dodge Stealth RT is a relatively local find, a couple hours away max.

I have had my share of bad used car test-drives myself, one Audi A4 I test drove was very fast, but the alignment was way off.. by so much, you went into the other lane if you weren't driving with both hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel tightly. Brutal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    My least favorite thing people do when selling cars online is use a picture of the car from when THEY bought it...six years and 62,000 miles ago!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

2of9 (07-03-2019),Fummins (07-02-2019)