Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a1992 Dodge Stealth / Mitsu 3000 GT a Good Buy or No?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Thanks Dodge Aries K, what's your opinion on the general reliability of these engines?

Every used car has a different history obviously. This particular Stealth has really high miles. Yet the owner claims the car runs great.
    My experience is all with the version of the engine in Chrysler K based front wheel drive vehicles.

Well, the 3.0L V6's biggest issue is oil burning. Otherwise it's a good engine with relatively little issue. The timing belt and water pump service isn't fun but it's doable. My LeBaron convertible runs great still and has never had the engine apart for anything besides it's first tune up and timing service... at 152,000 miles haha. I used to have a Plymouth Voyager that had over 300,000 miles on it before it had an injector fault that caused it to blow a head gasket. That engine was all original besides some seals and consumables. They're great engines when in the Chryslers if you don't mind poisoning people behind you a bit hahaha.

Now, as for the ones in actual Mitsubishis, I don't know all the differences but I would assume it's the same story as long as you're not talking about finicky turbo charged stuff. Those are an absolute nightmare under the hood.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post

Now, as for the ones in actual Mitsubishis, I don't know all the differences but I would assume it's the same story as long as you're not talking about finicky turbo charged stuff. Those are an absolute nightmare under the hood.
    No I would also steer clear of any turbo charged car, especially at the low end price range Dodge Stealth's. If I go for this car, it is a regular V6, no AWD either, and that is fine with me.

Right on with your LeBaron, sounds like a cool car! And thank you for the information regarding oil issues, but generally good motors. I am still on the fence, but I want to see the Stealth in a few weeks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Update on the car? Did you look at/drive it?

Supra's of the similar age are going for high bucks, so you never know long term investment.
    I wouldn't buy it expecting it to appreciate. Buy it if it butters your biscuit and you'll enjoy owning/driving it!

The desireable Japanese classics are already commanding high prices. A base-drivetrain Stealth is probably near the bottom of the list for Japanese GT cars of that era.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    A base-drivetrain Stealth is probably near the bottom of the list for Japanese GT cars of that era.
    Because it's called a Stealth and is associated with Dodge, it will probably never be worth anything whatsoever. But I agree, buy it if it's fun for you to drive.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Because it's called a Stealth and is associated with Dodge, it will probably never be worth anything whatsoever. But I agree, buy it if it's fun for you to drive.
    I am having second thoughts now to the point I probably won't be buying the Stealth. Plus I don't have the money.

I might take a look, however, to see the car. You're probably right Aries, and too bad. I mean that "newer" Dodges don't have the cachet for collectable, even though the Stealth is such a unique vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Update on the car? Did you look at/drive it?

I wouldn't buy it expecting it to appreciate. Buy it if it butters your biscuit and you'll enjoy owning/driving it!

The desireable Japanese classics are already commanding high prices. A base-drivetrain Stealth is probably near the bottom of the list for Japanese GT cars of that era.
    Hi MetroMPG, I haven't seen or driven it yet. My friend and I might be taking a look on the 20th, but like I said above, I'm having second thoughts. Maybe if I can get it for extremely cheap. I also want to have a look underneath that it isn't all rusted out.

I'm pretty sure more desirable Japanese GT cars like say a 1992 Supra, goes for BIG bucks these days if mint.

Thanks all for the advice/thoughts!

Last edited by dspace9; 07-03-2019 at 06:28 PM.