Thread: Removing rear drums 2015 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Removing rear drums 2015 Mirage

Hi all
    I am helping co worker with her 2015 Mirage.
    I did front brakes yesterday, no problem there.
    But rear drums stumbled me.
    They are solid, have no threaded holes for bolts to press them off.
    They are also solid - as in, can't take them off. Not even a slight wobble.
    Parking brake of course was released. Drum spins easily on the hub and brakes.
    There is no brake release window in the dust cover. I mean - solid metal in the front/solid metal with some what looks like rivets in the back of the rear hub/drum.
    So habitually, I took hammer to it.
    No difference.
    Took sledge to it.
    No difference. I am very strong guy, I had stubborn rusted drums pop off cars before. I did countless brake jobs since 1990.
    Those drums stay solid on the hub.
    Short of assuming that there is center nut behind the dust cap, that holds drum in place, I am stumbled.
    How do you remove them? I had to stop and put everything back together, as it is not my car. Plus, she had to go back home. Also, at 45 000 miles, I somehow doubt rear shoes are worn out, though front were at about 1.5mm. She must be real hard on brakes...
    Of course, course of action would have been to spray QuickWrench into the stud holes, let it sit for hour, spray again, soak, take sledge to drums again... but it's not my car, just courtesy to co worker. Plus, i don't want to break something, drum metal appears to be rather soft...
    I'd appreciate insight or trick to get them off, now it became personal. LesSchwab quoted her $400 for brake job.. Really?
    Thank you

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK... so there is center nut that holds it in place.
    I got it.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...oduction/page8

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
    Hi all
    I am helping co worker with her 2015 Mirage.

Short of assuming that there is center nut behind the dust cap, that holds drum in place, I am stumbled.

I'd appreciate insight or trick to get them off, now it became personal. LesSchwab quoted her $400 for brake job.. Really?
    Thank you
    Welcome to the forum and yes, there is a center nut behind the dustcap. At 45K I wouldn't worry about the rear brakes. Unless the owner is mashing the brakes constantly or they are making a noise forum members have generally not having to replace rear brakes for quite some time (over 100K minimum).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what i told her too. Braking is mostly front anyway. No noise after front was done.