Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: More pictures & things I like and things I don't about my Mirage.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=stevedmc;90184]Want to see some real history? Travel with me to the former Soviet Union next year.

/QUOTE]
    This I just cannot fathom, one's interest lies with the individual. Every corner of the globe has a history.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    In what sense is that history more real than the English one?
    As above Space Wolf there is history everywhere. What floats one persons boat will not necessarily do the same for another.
    I love Roman History, not really interested in being swayed or dissuaded.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    History is history, true. I enjoy learning about all types of history, but there is just something about walking the grounds of a place where history happened in the last 100 years, or is even going on today.

I've walked the grounds of Hiroshima which was a humbling experience. Grandpa fought the Japanese in WWII. If it wasn't for that horrific bombing, many of us might not be alive today.

My "friend" visited Cuba when it was still illegal to go there. I would have gone myself but I couldn't legally. "He" said it was an experience he would never forget.

I've visited North Korea and seen true communism with my own eyes. Even though I went almost 10 years ago, I still got to see live history in the making.

I went to Chernobyl a few months ago. I got to see the effects of some very recent history.

There is a ton of other things and places I've been to that people would find just as fascinating, perhaps more. I enjoy history but prefer seeing stuff that has directly affected my generation. To me, that is real history.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

itschad (07-09-2019),MetroMPG (07-09-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    History is history, true. I enjoy learning about all types of history, but there is just something about walking the grounds of a place where history happened in the last 100 years, or is even going on today.

I've walked the grounds of Hiroshima which was a humbling experience. Grandpa fought the Japanese in WWII. If it wasn't for that horrific bombing, many of us might not be alive today.

My "friend" visited Cuba when it was still illegal to go there. I would have gone myself but I couldn't legally. "He" said it was an experience he would never forget.

I've visited North Korea and seen true communism with my own eyes. Even though I went almost 10 years ago, I still got to see live history in the making.

I went to Chernobyl a few months ago. I got to see the effects of some very recent history.

There is a ton of other things and places I've been to that people would find just as fascinating, perhaps more. I enjoy history but prefer seeing stuff that has directly affected my generation. To me, that is real history.
    Everything that happened in the Middle ages to the Renaissance did directly affect your generation. From the Magda Carta establishing a bedrock of modern democracy as we know it today to Leonardo Da Vinci conceptualizing the continually variable transmission thats in the Mirages. If Im reading an important book about western civilization, I dont skip the first 5 chapters and only read the last 3. I need the whole picture. Not discounting your travels and interests, theyre fantastic, but to imply history that only goes back 100 years is relevant, well thats simply not for me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Everything that happened in the Middle ages to the Renaissance did directly affect your generation. From the Magda Carta establishing a bedrock of modern democracy as we know it today to Leonardo Da Vinci conceptualizing the continually variable transmission thats in the Mirages. If Im reading an important book about western civilization, I dont skip the first 5 chapters and only read the last 3. I need the whole picture. Not discounting your travels and interests, theyre fantastic, but to imply history that only goes back 100 years is relevant, well thats simply not for me.
    I can't argue with that, but you've got to admit its pretty awesome being about to talk with former enemy soldiers of the USA first hand. You can't do that reading a book.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Hope you didn't think I was being awkward with my post Steve. You've travelled well mate and that's a good thing as it opens our eyes to the plight of others. Christ, I've even been to Wales.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-09-2019)

When I was a kid while vacationing at Disneyland my dad thought it'd be fun to take the family to Tijuana for the day. All I remember from that trip was that people paint donkeys to look like zebras and don't go to Tijuana.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    One cannot impose these kind of feelings onto another. History was yesterday, last week, last year even back to the dawn of time, one's perception just simply cannot be changed, especially on a car forum. However, I myself love Roman history and of course English/British history. The Magna Carta dates to the very early thirteenth century signed by King John that is the basis for today legal system which is/was adopted by the US and other nations. Just about every English/British monarch left a legacy, amongst my favourites are Elizabeth 1 and Victoria, both of whom showed tremendous courage and foresight.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I'm in Leeds, a place called Bramley. I know Worcestershire and like it very much. Do you miss Birmingham?
    don't miss birmingham at all .i live in kidderminster Worcestershire i have got a niece that lives in leeds

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Well if ever you find yourself in Leeds Adam we'll have a beer.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (07-17-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    One cannot impose these kind of feelings onto another. History was yesterday, last week, last year even back to the dawn of time, one's perception just simply cannot be changed, especially on a car forum. However, I myself love Roman history and of course English/British history. The Magna Carta dates to the very early thirteenth century signed by King John that is the basis for today legal system which is/was adopted by the US and other nations. Just about every English/British monarch left a legacy, amongst my favourites are Elizabeth 1 and Victoria, both of whom showed tremendous courage and foresight.
    Oh no sir, no imposition on my part. Im just speaking in preferences. Its all educational, youre totally correct. My apologies to the thread.