Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: More pictures & things I like and things I don't about my Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I know exactly what you mean regarding the DRL's and lit dashboard lighting during daylight. My previous 3 or 4 vehicles had the dash all lit up during daylight but the Mirage's auto lights system is good, I agree totally but I'm used to manually turning lights on.
    I am getting used it and still as I approach the car I get the keys from my pocket which is unnecessary. This car is growing on me daily, it's the only car I have and my enjoyment of it is high.
    My Mirage doesn't have auto lights. It's manual on or off. I like that. Most things that turn on automatically annoy me.

None of this is important, however. It's great to hear you like your Mirage! They are charming little cars!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Hey Mark, these auto things start to grow on you. At first I believed it to be too gimmicky for my liking but now have got to appreciate it. I suppose it's like all else in life, you just get used to it.
    Still getting used to the Mirage and it's quirks, example, sun visors made from cigarette paper, put and elastic band over it to hold some money, next day severely deformed sun visor. But as said before the car is built for lightness thus excellent economy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Hey Mark, these auto things start to grow on you. At first I believed it to be too gimmicky for my liking but now have got to appreciate it. I suppose it's like all else in life, you just get used to it.
    Still getting used to the Mirage and it's quirks, example, sun visors made from cigarette paper, put and elastic band over it to hold some money, next day severely deformed sun visor. But as said before the car is built for lightness thus excellent economy.
    I am a driving instructor & use various vehicles with running daylights, automatic headlights, & just a simple on/off switch. Our Mirages come with a simple on/off switch, & I like that the best by far. I like deciding those matters for myself. I also like the simple dash that doesn't need to be lit up during the day time.

When it comes down to it, none of these features really matter to me. Headlight switches aren't a deal breaker for me. I am just expressing what I like best, and who really cares about that?

I like the Mirage because it is affordable to buy, seems very reliable, & it is very economical to drive. Some of its little quirks just add to its charm! I like the powertrain (1.2L with a 5-speed manual) of the Mirage the most. They are nice little economy cars for the money. I also say the car really grows on you over time, especially at the gas pump!

I like the fact you can turn on the headlights and not have to turn them off. Our Kia is like that but also has an auto function that I never use. Everytime you go under an underpass they go on and off like your flashing somebody. The stupid thing has auto wipers that I can't stand. I like to think I'm smart enough to know when and how fast I want the wipers to be. The other day it rained and the wipers were stuck on warp speed, I have no idea how they didn't just fly right off. There was no slowing the stupid things down. I tried everything. So I had to drive with them off til I needed them them bump the switch for one cycle. I'm probably gonna throw some duct tape over the rain sensor cause that'll look cool.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My only complaint is the poor quality paint job and the fragile interior plastics that scratch too easily. Other than that my car has been 100% reliable. Oh wait, also the stock head unit (stereo) and speakers are lousy.

But since the radio double din is standard sized it is very easy to replace with an aftermarket unit. That in particular is a very redeeming quality. You dont see very many cars with a standard sized dash anymore.

Take the Honda civic for example. You cant fit a standard aftermarket head unit in that dash.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am a driving instructor & use various vehicles with running daylights, automatic headlights, & just a simple on/off switch. Our Mirages come with a simple on/off switch, & I like that the best by far. I like deciding those matters for myself. I also like the simple dash that doesn't need to be lit up during the day time.

When it comes down to it, none of these features really matter to me. Headlight switches aren't a deal breaker for me. I am just expressing what I like best, and who really cares about that?

I like the Mirage because it is affordable to buy, seems very reliable, & it is very economical to drive. Some of its little quirks just add to its charm! I like the powertrain (1.2L with a 5-speed manual) of the Mirage the most. They are nice little economy cars for the money. I also say the car really grows on you over time, especially at the gas pump!
    I was a driving instructor way back in 1980, at that time the cars BSM (British School of Motoring) used were Austin Metro's very very basic little car but surprisingly good on a long run despite the diminutive 1100cc engine. A heater & radio was all you got. That had manual everything but a cute car that later my wife had a Metro GTA.
    I agree the Mirage is a hoot to drive and own as the the smile on one's face when you tank up is all the proof one needs.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I like the fact you can turn on the headlights and not have to turn them off. Our Kia is like that but also has an auto function that I never use. Everytime you go under an underpass they go on and off like your flashing somebody. The stupid thing has auto wipers that I can't stand. I like to think I'm smart enough to know when and how fast I want the wipers to be. The other day it rained and the wipers were stuck on warp speed, I have no idea how they didn't just fly right off. There was no slowing the stupid things down. I tried everything. So I had to drive with them off til I needed them them bump the switch for one cycle. I'm probably gonna throw some duct tape over the rain sensor cause that'll look cool.
    I've never owned a Kia so cannot comment, however, they are very popular in the UK, as is Hyundai, sister brand. The days of cheap Kia's here in the UK has long gone. Good luck with the duct tape.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    My only complaint is the poor quality paint job and the fragile interior plastics that scratch too easily. Other than that my car has been 100% reliable. Oh wait, also the stock head unit (stereo) and speakers are lousy.

But since the radio double din is standard sized it is very easy to replace with an aftermarket unit. That in particular is a very redeeming quality. You dont see very many cars with a standard sized dash anymore.

Take the Honda civic for example. You cant fit a standard aftermarket head unit in that dash.
    I priced up a double din unit from a store here, £500 fitted plus £75.00 for steering wheel function. Just couldn't justify nearly £600 on an upgrade.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I priced up a double din unit from a store here, £500 fitted plus £75.00 for steering wheel function. Just couldn't justify nearly £600 on an upgrade.
    Chad you need a cheeky bumper sticker for the Pumpkin lol

I had one for years that simply said "Politically Erect" on my back bumper. I even had a woman once, at a red light, get out of her car come over and tell me she was having a **** day until she laughed reading my sticker.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's funny about the sunvisors. I could see them unmould there too. Maybe just leave the one for a while.

The visors make a real obnoxious and loud donk! sound when you flip them from the windshield back to the roof. The whole thing sounds a bit like tin can, but oh well it's a hoot to drive like you say. Even my coworker I give a ride home the odd time noticed the sun visors being kind of hilarious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)