Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: More pictures & things I like and things I don't about my Mirage.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Doing great just moved to Kennesaw, GA right behind the lonely Kennesaw mountain. A site of one of the last great battles of the Civil war before my hometown of Atlanta was destroyed. Many Americans dont know that England had its own civil war. I wonder is Oliver Cromwell venerated anywhere in the UK? Or is he shunned because of the return of the royal family? Ive read a couple books about him, fascinating figure yet polarizing. I know my ancestors were in Birmingham during the conflict. I wonder if they were royalist or with Parliment? Glad to hear your well sir!
    I know very little about American history Dirk, I knew there was a civil war which I believe was won by the northern states. GA, I take to be Georgia, am I right in thinking that this is a southern state? Glad your relocation went well mate.

Oliver Cromwell, born in Cambridgeshire (Huntingdon) had King Charles 1st executed because Charlie was a liar, crooked thief and just couldn't be trusted. Olly died probably of septicaemia due to what is believed to be a urinary complaint. What is not too well known that old Olly was actually dug up a few years after death and posthumously executed for his decision to have Charles 1st beheaded.
    To his credit he didn't want Charlie executed but the king was devoid of decency.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, itschad! It was an attempt (albeit lame) at humor. Sarcasm, some faux outrage and a veiled insinuation that you lads might be a little closer than normal since you were sparring with your, um, er..you know... The "not that there's anything wrong with that" quote is from American sitcom Seinfeld.

Again, much apologies, and thanks for educating me on the cockney sparrow, and also that you have to know your audience when trying to be funny!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I'm sorry, itschad! It was an attempt (albeit lame) at humor. Sarcasm, some faux outrage and a veiled insinuation that you lads might be a little closer than normal since you were sparring with your, um, er..you know... The "not that there's anything wrong with that" quote is from American sitcom Seinfeld.

Again, much apologies, and thanks for educating me on the cockney sparrow, and also that you have to know your audience when trying to be funny!
    No problem AP, seems I just couldn't get a glimpse of any sarcasm. It's 04:45 here in the UK & because of insomnia I've been awake since 02:20 and not quite fully compos mentis.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a bit of that myself. I used to chalk it up to getting older, but then I've met too many people of all ages that just can't sleep well. My guess it's modern light exposure, all these monitors and screens. Rest well. I see we have some Yanks over there playing American football today!