Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Price check

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Yeah, these things are fragile enough already without pre-bought damage. Appreciate everyone's input, I will not be purchasing this particular G4. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Shout out to Top Fuel for the info and VIN link.
    At least bargain with them. If you can get it for $4k, thats a bargain as long as you just plan on driving it for 175k miles and then give it to your kid or a friend on hard times. Ive done that before, it makes ya feel nice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    At least bargain with them. If you can get it for $4k, thats a bargain as long as you just plan on driving it for 175k miles and then give it to your kid or a friend on hard times. Ive done that before, it makes ya feel nice.

I get that, but I've just spent 6 years with a branded title (odometer inconsistency) and nobody wants to deal with anything but a clean title. I'm not going through that again. Its been a great car (07 fit sport 5 speed 215k), but its time for a change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I get that, but I've just spent 6 years with a branded title (odometer inconsistency) and nobody wants to deal with anything but a clean title. I'm not going through that again. Its been a great car (07 fit sport 5 speed 215k), but its time for a change.
    I would definitely follow the advice of the majority & stick with your decision to walk away.

I'd be more inclined to buy an old car with a salvaged title from someone I knew. If they had been driving it for 5 years without issue, you would have a much better insight on the car.

This particular car is a big question mark????? I rather put my money towards a highly discounted new 2019 Mirage or G4. Financing, insurance, trade-in valve, etc.... are less of an issue!

It looks like a good deal, but I would pass, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    My Mirage got tapped in the ass pretty lightly about a month ago.

There is no visible damage to the bumper cover besides a small chip on the paint, which honestly surprised me. But while looking for damage I found there is a hollow beam of sheet metal that goes across the back of the body under the bumper cover. Presumably, this bar's only function is to absorb exactly this kind of minor impact, and this beam is the car's true "rear bumper". Many manufacturers stuff the cavity between the bumper cover and body with syrofoam or the like, but Mitsubishi put an actual steel bumper under there! This additional reinforcement is why US-market cars get the "bustle-butt" rear bumper cover, while other markets have rear bumper covers that don't stick out anywhere near as far.

If you look behind the bumper cover you can actually see it. Well, at least on the hatchback. This pic was taken looking straight up under the rear of the car from the passenger side. On the left in the pic is the bumper cover, the bulge on the right is the rear of the body. Center is obviously the bumper.

If you inspect this G4 in person and find there is only some minor denting on this sub-bumper, as with mine, then the car may well be worth buying. It means it really was only tapped lightly. But if the body/bumper is all munched under the replacement bumper cover, then that is probably why Geico washed their hands of this car.

This bar bolts onto the body on either side, so it is completely replaceable. You can also inspect the mounting points for damage to see just how hard the impact was. I may replace mine just because if I find another one, but as you can see the damage to mine can't even be seen from below. I can only feel it by reaching between the rear bumper and the bumper cover.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    My Mirage got tapped in the ass pretty lightly about a month ago.

There is no visible damage to the bumper cover besides a small chip on the paint, which honestly surprised me. But while looking for damage I found there is a hollow beam of sheet metal that goes across the back of the body under the bumper cover. Presumably, this bar's only function is to absorb exactly this kind of minor impact, and this beam is the car's true "rear bumper". Many manufacturers stuff the cavity between the bumper cover and body with syrofoam or the like, but Mitsubishi put an actual steel bumper under there! This additional reinforcement is why US-market cars get the "bustle-butt" rear bumper cover, while other markets have rear bumper covers that don't stick out anywhere near as far.

If you look behind the bumper cover you can actually see it. Well, at least on the hatchback. This pic was taken looking straight up under the rear of the car from the passenger side. On the left in the pic is the bumper cover, the bulge on the right is the rear of the body. Center is obviously the bumper.

If you inspect this G4 in person and find there is only some minor denting on this sub-bumper, as with mine, then the car may well be worth buying. It means it really was only tapped lightly. But if the body/bumper is all munched under the replacement bumper cover, then that is probably why Geico washed their hands of this car.

This bar bolts onto the body on either side, so it is completely replaceable. You can also inspect the mounting points for damage to see just how hard the impact was. I may replace mine just because if I find another one, but as you can see the damage to mine can't even be seen from below. I can only feel it by reaching between the rear bumper and the bumper cover.

That sure sounds like what this dealer is describing. Thanks for the pics and detailed info; much appreciated. This forum is amazing, I domy think there's an inch on these cars someone hasn't had experience with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That sure sounds like what this dealer is describing. Thanks for the pics and detailed info; much appreciated. This forum is amazing, I domy think there's an inch on these cars someone hasn't had experience with.
    Sure! Not a super cheap part to buy new, but if I was getting over 50% off of a nice '18 Mirage with 1800 miles...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't do it. Sometimes, it is too good to be true. Those independent dealers are very sketchy too. Also, to add, the salvage title is a deal breaker for me. No warranty and insurance is going to have a hectic time to insure it. Just way too many 'bad' variables, especially at that price. Like others have said, you can/should skip this one. Hope you can find another one!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Sure! Not a super cheap part to buy new, but if I was getting over 50% off of a nice '18 Mirage with 1800 miles...

If that was all the damage that was done & these were the only parts needed, why would this car have a salvage title? Insurance companies are going to offer the cheapest option. If it was just minor repairs, this car would not have a salvage title.

A person could have a mechanic and professional body shop look over the car prior to purchase. If red flags existed, they would see them immediately.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If that was all the damage that was done & these were the only parts needed, why would this car have a salvage title? Insurance companies are going to offer the cheapest option. If it was just minor repairs, this car would not have a salvage title.

A person could have a mechanic and professional body shop look over the car prior to purchase. If red flags existed, they would see them immediately.

The cars over an hour away from me, and I barely know any good mechanics in my own town, let alone Columbus. My spidey-sense is tingling on this one. The search continues...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

As I said, I would almost bet that that damage under the new bumper cover is going to be pretty extensive. This would explain why Geico totaled it out. My main point is that a person interested in buying the car does not have to remove the bumper cover to inspect the damage on these cars.