Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
I have a 2014 ES that I bought with a salvage title. I got it from a guy that buys salvage cars and fixes them up for resale. I knew what I was getting into, because he sold it to me before doing any repairs. Drivers fender was damaged, both drivers doors and rear quarter panel. I picked up a fender and drivers door, and hung them both myself in about an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hrs. I then turned it over to my body guy who straightened the rear door and quarter, then completely repainted the whole car. Had 38k when I bought it. I think I have about $5,000 in it. I have State Farm insurance, and had no problem getting full coverage on it. Yes, I called them before buying it. Lol

Now for the downside. Some 2014's were blessed with a starter grinding issue. Seems the fix is to replace the "updated" starter, the flywheel, and starter dowel pins. Completely covered issue on "normal" cars. Not on my specially blessed, non warranted "salvage" vehicle. About once a month, I get a God awful grinding when the starter doesn't properly engage. In the US, safety recalls still have to be done by the dealer, free of charge.

I would not buy a late model salvage vehicle just because of the warranty issue. Suppose you got a bad trans, engine, or rear axle.
"Uhm... Sorry Mr. Customer, you're not covered for that. We will allow you $3,000 trade in on a new one tho."
Valid points, to be sure. But it sounds like, in the case of this particular car, that the dealership has already done all the "heavy lifting".