Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Awful MPG and performance with AC on (Mirage / Space-Star 2015)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smiba View Post
    I'm wondering, do you have your fan speed on low or on a higher speed (50%+ or more)?

Today I needed to use the AC on my way back from work and noticed that using a low fan speed (lowest or near lowest) actually made the car feel much more responsive. (Didn't test it too much though, just drove home on the low fan speed) I was under the impression that the fans on high would at best use 20-50 Watts more and the AC would keep on using the same amount of energy (As its either on or off for the compressor wouldn't it be?)

Anyways received my Scangauge2 this evening, maybe its just my driving behaviour that does allow me to drive efficient at normal engine load but doesn't work with the A/C also pulling power. I'll see if I can correct my behaviour or if its bad MPG either way.
    Im always parked in the shade at work and home so when I get in my car I turn the fan to 50% power for about 10 mins, then switch to 20% power. I never use the automatic climate control because it seems to use the compressor alot more and its always on recirculate air.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I must be missing something because I really dont feel that much of a difference with AC on or off.
    Maybe it's because the CVT is sort of insulating you from the impact of the compressor kicking on?

When I'm merging on the freeway and I hit the button to turn my AC off, I almost feel like Vin Diesel hitting the NOS button in Fast & Furious...

Name:  ff.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  34.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-04-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Maybe it's because the CVT is sort of insulating you from the impact of the compressor kicking on?

When I'm merging on the freeway and I hit the button to turn my AC off, I almost feel like Vin Diesel hitting the NOS button in Fast & Furious...

Name:  ff.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  34.8 KB
    Could be could be, but the actual performance doesnt feel sluggish and Im coming from a Outback 3.0 v6.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smiba View Post
    Let me know what you think
    Do you have automatic A/C? Mine 1.0 has, and on hot days (30°C outside, 23°C inside) I can feel it kicking in once or twice in a minute for about 10 seconds. Which means it's on for 15-30% of the time. (a very rought estimation, I know).
    The difference in fuel use is only 1 or 2 km/L. Last sunday it was 32°C here in Limburg, and I drove a 80km trip (with A/C on, of course), ending at 25.2km/L on the gauge. Based on my experience that might have been 27ish without A/C.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Do you have automatic A/C? Mine 1.0 has, and on hot days (30°C outside, 23°C inside) I can feel it kicking in once or twice in a minute for about 10 seconds. Which means it's on for 15-30% of the time. (a very rought estimation, I know).
    Yeah it does, usually it switches on and off every couple of minutes.

----

I've tried a bunch of different things and I've settled on not putting the fans too high and the temperature too low.
    In the past I would for example set my temperature to 21.5C and fans on High to cool the car down faster, this would mean the compressor needed to work continuously. After about 5 to 10 minutes it would result in the behaviour I'd describe as rough driving and causing bad MPG

Recently I've put the AC on 23C and the fans on Medium-Low, still resulting in a comfortable ride but it does allow the compressor to take a little break after a couple of minutes. This makes the car drive much nicer and only decreases the MPG by 10-20%, instead of up to almost 50%.

If I ever buy a new car, might have to get a different colour then gray/black

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space-Star 1.0 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

I noticed a noticeable boost in power under light acceleration after turning off the ac. Car felt pretty sluggish then boom it took off like it had lots of stickers and colored wire loom on it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, that does explain the gear-skipping feel on acceleration after a stop...

...and the occasional "surge" when slowing down.

Seems like a lot of the CVT weirdness is actually because of the AC.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Oh, that does explain the gear-skipping feel on acceleration after a stop...

...and the occasional "surge" when slowing down.

Seems like a lot of the CVT weirdness is actually because of the AC.
    Have you tried turning off your AC?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Have you tried turning off your AC?
    Do not want to :P

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Do not want to :P
    You wouldn't have to guess or wonder after a 5-minute test.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)