Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Awful MPG and performance with AC on (Mirage / Space-Star 2015)

But what if it's hot outside?

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I noticed a noticeable boost in power under light acceleration after turning off the ac. Car felt pretty sluggish then boom it took off like it had lots of stickers and colored wire loom on it.
    Difference between 1500RPM and 2500RPM with AC on while accelerating is insane, once it crosses that 2000RPM mark you rapidly feel all the power come back!

Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Oh, that does explain the gear-skipping feel on acceleration after a stop...

...and the occasional "surge" when slowing down.

Seems like a lot of the CVT weirdness is actually because of the AC.
    A lot of these sudden changes in available torque/power really transfer back to manuals too. although I'd expect CVT owners would notice it less?

The car seems to try and compensate the ACs power draw, with my scangauge I often see the car still using about 2L/100km while coasting above 1200RPM and while not touching the gas pedal.
    Had moments where it just decided to stop injecting fuel halfway through while coasting, makes me double check if I'm not pressing my brakes because you do seriously feel it.

Not sure if I'd call it a feature I'd want if it only works 80% of the time. Rather have it 0% or 100%, both options would allow me to learn the cars behaviour.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space-Star 1.0 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smiba For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I never use the automatic climate control because it seems to use the compressor alot more and its always on recirculate air.
    I’m confused. How do you use the AC without the climate control? Is there a way to turn off the temperature thing?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I’m confused. How do you use the AC without the climate control? Is there a way to turn off the temperature thing?
    Might be wrong, but I think Dirk means the "AUTO" mode. They just use it on the manual setting mode with temperature.

--

Also update for anyone reading the OP: I managed to get the hang off it. Can get 4.5L/100km in the summer with the AC on now
    Just need to rev up much higher when driving away as the AC does really take its toll on the available torque at low RPM. If I have to drive away at an up-hill angle I disable the AC quickly because you will otherwise choke the engine pretty much either way (or at least annoy everyone behind you by driving away really slowly)

Making sure its on internal circulation when the air is hot outside is a big recommendation as well!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space-Star 1.0 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smiba For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smiba View Post
    Might be wrong, but I think Dirk means the "AUTO" mode. They just use it on the manual setting mode with temperature.

--

Also update for anyone reading the OP: I managed to get the hang off it. Can get 4.5L/100km in the summer with the AC on now
    Just need to rev up much higher when driving away as the AC does really take its toll on the available torque at low RPM. If I have to drive away at an up-hill angle I disable the AC quickly because you will otherwise choke the engine pretty much either way (or at least annoy everyone behind you by driving away really slowly)

Making sure its on internal circulation when the air is hot outside is a big recommendation as well!
    Just saying: I took the dog for a 20 minute ride through the neighborhood today at about 20mph, air on and got 36.3 mpg. My Mirage is a 2018 with CVT. Without the air I usually get around 43 mpg. These figures are consistent as I've been doing this little ritual with the pooch for going on 2 years. It's a 6 mile round trip.