Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mirage will carry on with minor changes (in U.S. / Canada)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    In retail terms, it doesn't always work out to offer low prices without discounts. JC Penney tried it and abandoned the marketing model. GMs Saturn division and Toyota's Scion both didn't last. Discounts work on the human psyche apparently.

I'm glad I got my 5-speed manual transmission with automatic climate controls, cruise control, and F.A.S.T. key system. Not to mention all the other automotive advancements that we tend to take for granted such as ABS, traction control, fuel injection and electronic ignition, all well integrated with today's advanced computerized engine & emissions management. It really represents how far the automotive industry has come since not that long ago.

May the Mirage continue to be affordable transportation for years to come, in 2020 and beyond.
    I don't share your sentiments. Cars made vast improvements during the 1990's. I think the 1995 to 2005 Toyota & Honda vehicles were a much better value than most anything on the market today. A really good mechanic with many years of experience will vouch for those cars. I don't sense that same sentiment from mechanics about today's cars. There's no way I would buy a Honda GDI engine today. I wouldn't even visit a Nissan showroom these days, but I didn't feel that way about them years ago.

The Mirage is a world car brought to the U.S. market. It may have been revamped some for the U.S. market in 2017? The Mirage is a nice car for the right price. I'm glad Mitsubishi is willing to market it here! Long live the Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't share your sentiments. Cars made vast improvements during the 1990's. I think the 1995 to 2005 Toyota & Honda vehicles were a much better value than most anything on the market today. A really good mechanic with many years of experience will vouch for those cars. I don't sense that same sentiment from mechanics about today's cars. There's no way I would buy a Honda GDI engine today. I wouldn't even visit a Nissan showroom these days, but I didn't feel that way about them years ago.

The Mirage is a world car brought to the U.S. market. It may have been revamped some for the U.S. market in 2017? The Mirage is a nice car for the right price. I'm glad Mitsubishi is willing to market it here! Long live the Mirage!
    The Mirage has loads of features for one of the lowest prices in the market today. If it could be had for less (that is, discounted) that's even better. And it's reliable to boot. I'm looking forward to seeing how Mitsubishi and the Mirage continues on in 2020.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just like knowing that I have keyless entry when the base model Porsche Panamera doesn't.

I really hope this car sells for a few more years relatively unchanged so we can get a good used one 10 years or so from now. I would argue this car is the most mechanically simplistic car on sale in the North American market and as such I would also argue it is the last of its kind, especially the manual. During the next fuel crisis or recession I could see more people purchasing a car like ours. Mitsubishi would be wise to ride this car out as long as possible or even bring it back into production in a few years.

Consumer Reports once rated it as having the cheapest 5 year cost of ownership of all vehicles and people will always gravitate towards that especially if its reliable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I just like knowing that I have keyless entry when the base model Porsche Panamera doesn't.

I really hope this car sells for a few more years relatively unchanged so we can get a good used one 10 years or so from now. I would argue this car is the most mechanically simplistic car on sale in the North American market and as such I would also argue it is the last of its kind, especially the manual. During the next fuel crisis or recession I could see more people purchasing a car like ours. Mitsubishi would be wise to ride this car out as long as possible or even bring it back into production in a few years.

Consumer Reports once rated it as having the cheapest 5 year cost of ownership of all vehicles and people will always gravitate towards that especially if its reliable.
    I agree! The powertrain of the Mirage with its manual transmission is what I like the most. Having said that, it's a nicely equipped little economy car. It's a unique car in our U.S. market, & I am glad we have it!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would argue this car is the most mechanically simplistic car on sale in the North American market and as such I would also argue it is the last of its kind, especially the manual.
    I think it's fair to say the Mirage is one of the more simplistic new cars on the road today for sure. My car is a 2013 build, so a 2020 or beyond Mirage is that much more retro. Also sorta a kinda Volkswagen Beetle like economical car.

My biggest beef with my Mirage after 5 and a half years of owning one now, is not the slower powertrain, or the small size making it you have to be more careful driving.

My biggest beef with my Mirage is the car's ride in wintertime driving. Not the handling part, but the ride. The car is just too puny to take the sort of jarringly bad roads my neck of the woods can have, especially on road closure scenarios.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts

Ha! That's awesome. Porsche can't keep up?

My sentiments exactly (with the exception of referencing CR )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm amazed CR admitted anything good about the Mirage. They hate it. They give it a score of 31/100, the second-lowest of all the cars they've tested, in any category. Only the ridiculous Fiat 500L scored lower, by 1 point. They mention the Mirage's "rock-bottom price" and excellent fuel economy, and then go on to say "there is no compelling reason to buy a Mirage."

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The only vehicle possibly more simple is the ancient Nissan frontier pickup. 2wd manual trans four banger And easier and cheaper to get the parts for it.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Not gonna lie, I've been tempted to jump into a Mirage just because I'm afraid they will discontinue it and turn it into a crossover or something. One more extra year so I can keep driving my beater before I hop in one

The only change I hope for is better after-sales staff at the dealerships.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)