Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly another cvt on it's way out (@ 128k km / 80k miles)

Define hotter. It doesn

Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, lord. Dirk's C.A.D. (cvt anxiety disorder) is going to spike! I recommend 1mg Ativan and a lottery ticket. All kidding aside, nobody wants to think about having to lay out 3-4 grand on a transmission. Keep changing that fluid, Dirk, and fingers crossed. And maybe start putting some cash back for the inevitable...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-07-2019),mohammad (12-31-2021),Pryme (07-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Toyota has introduced a new variation of the belt-and-pulley style CVT for its conventional gasoline cars that uses a direct-geared "first gear" for responsiveness when starting from a stop. Then it shifts to the belt and pulleys after the car is moving. The new Corolla uses it.

Is this the transmission they had to recall or something much better?

"Toyota recently announced a recall of about 3,400 of the recently-released 2019 Corolla hatchbacks due to a faulty component in these hatchbacks' continuously variable transmission (CVT). If this CVT component fails while the Corolla is moving, the vehicle could lose power, increasing the risk of a crash."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Toyota hybrid CVT's (AKA "power split devices") are actually a very different design compared to the JATCO ones.

Toyotas (and Ford's) hybrids use actual gear sets directly connected to the various parts of the system (electric motor, generator & engine). In that sense, they're even simpler than a manual transmission (gears always stay meshed -- no shifting), which is one reason they're so reliable -- it's just gears turning in oil:
    If this transmission is so simple, do you think it has filters & the need for frequent oil changes?

As far as that part goes, manuals are pretty simple. Drop the oil and refill until it drips from the top refill hole.

Mark - Toyota hybrid trans is like a manual. No filter. Long service intervals.

Not sure if that's the same CVT with the conventional 1st gear. Either way... oops for Toyota!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I understand it, the Toyota recall was due to manufacturing error, not a design error per se. It only happened with the first batch of CVTs installed in the new Corolla hatchback. FWIW, Toyota's been using the more conventional CVT for a while, including on the previous Corolla. They've been largely reliable, but not perfect.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    As I understand it, the Toyota recall was due to manufacturing error, not a design error per se. It only happened with the first batch of CVTs installed in the new Corolla hatchback. FWIW, Toyota's been using the more conventional CVT for a while, including on the previous Corolla. They've been largely reliable, but not perfect.
    That is my understanding, too. I don't think CVTs are going away. I hope they continue to improve. The Nissan/Jatco transmissions have created many of the CVT concerns that are out there, & those concerns seems justifiable. It sounds like Toyota is producing a much better product. Like most things, others will follow in their footsteps.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Name:  nooooooooo.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  42.9 KB

Failed at 80k miles?!? First thing tomorrow Im having a rabbi come out and bless my CVT. This is terrible, terrible news.

Fummins, thank you for your investigations otherwise Id be in the dark with no answers, even if theyre bad ones. Heres to hoping the price of new Mirage CVTs coming down. Im taking two shots of Nyquil and some xanax to sleep tonight. I heard heroin helps in these types of situations? But I digress......

PS- Fummins I have to hear back from Mitsubishi Corporate about the email we discussed. Ill be very disappointed if I recieve nothing back from them.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Oh, lord. Dirk's C.A.D. (cvt anxiety disorder) is going to spike! I recommend 1mg Ativan and a lottery ticket. All kidding aside, nobody wants to think about having to lay out 3-4 grand on a transmission. Keep changing that fluid, Dirk, and fingers crossed. And maybe start putting some cash back for the inevitable...
    And here I thought I had a chance at 175k miles on my CVT. Who the hell was I kiddin? I better be greatful for 100k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)