Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly another cvt on it's way out (@ 128k km / 80k miles)

Very true. Make it last til w .

Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 08:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Input bearing = thrust washer? I've heard you mention a suspect washer several times when talking about dead CVT's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, t w days ago so I forget.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 08:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Im gonna take your advice and try and source out a 2015 cvt, now to find a place thats willing to put it in if I need it lol
    Just something to think about - Let's say you buy a used CVT and store it. Heaven forbid but something happens that wrecks your car. Are you going to seek out another early edition 2014 Mirage, because you have a spare transmission at home. Heck the transmission in your car may still be fine after an accident, but the rest of your car may be toast. Now what do you do? You have two 2014 CVTs, but no 2014 Mirage to go with them. Some of us may find that funny, but I doubt you would!

I get a little annoyed when I sell or trade a car & then I find some useless oil or air filter sitting on the shelf in my garage. I understand the reason for stock piling things sometimes, but a transmission is a huge investment. I wouldn't even buy a simple radiator & store it. If something happened to my Mirage, I wouldn't base my next purchase on a $50 Mirage radiator sitting in my garage. Not saying you can't sell these things later. Then again you can just buy these things later, too.

I am going to make this more annoying for you now. Your future wife's Mirage needs a new CVT not your car. You have an extra CVT sitting at home, but it doesn't work in her newer Mirage. How is that going to make you feel?

Just thinking out loud here!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-10-2019 at 01:31 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just something to think about - Let's say you buy a used CVT and store it. Heaven forbid but something happens that wrecks your car. Are you going to seek out another early edition 2014 Mirage, because you have a spare transmission at home. Heck the transmission in your car may still be fine after an accident, but the rest of your car may be toast. Now what do you do? You have two 2014 CVTs, but no 2014 Mirage to go with them. Some of us may find that funny, but I doubt you would!

I get a little annoyed when I sell or trade a car & then I find some useless oil or air filter sitting on the shelf in my garage. I understand the reason for stock piling things sometimes, but a transmission is a huge investment. I wouldn't even buy a simple radiator & store it. If something happened to my Mirage, I wouldn't base my next purchase on a $50 Mirage radiator sitting in my garage. Not saying you can't sell these things later. Then again you can just buy these things later, too.

I am going to make this more annoying for you now. Your future wife's Mirage needs a new CVT not your car. You have an extra CVT sitting at home, but it doesn't work in her newer Mirage. How is that going to make you feel?

Im just floating ideas, trying to be proactive. Still solid advice thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Im just floating ideas, trying to be proactive. Still solid advice thank you.

If I owned a vehicle & its transmission failed prematurely, I wouldn't put a a lot more money into it. I would buy something else, but that's me. If I had to drive 70-80 mph with the A/C on most of the time, I would grow tired of a small economy car pretty fast, too. I am not saying the Mirage can't handle it, & I am not saying your CVT will fail.

My parents live 4 hours away. It takes me 2.5 hours of driving 55 mph highways before I even reach an interstate highway (70 mph). Even then the interstate doesn't get me entirely to their home. Everyone's situation is different.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    If I owned a vehicle & its transmission failed prematurely, I wouldn't put a a lot more money into it. I would buy something else, but that's me. If I had to drive 70-80 mph with the A/C on most of the time, I would grow tired of a small economy car pretty fast, too. I am not saying the Mirage can't handle it, & I am not saying your CVT will fail.

My parents live 4 hours away. It takes me 2.5 hours of driving 55 mph highways before I even reach an interstate highway (70 mph). Even then the interstate doesn't get me entirely to their home. Everyone's situation is different.
    The soft suspension helps on the highway believe it or not. On good roads the Mirage doesnt feel like a cheap car lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The soft suspension helps on the highway believe it or not. On good roads the Mirage doesnt feel like a cheap car lol.
    Yeah it has soft suspension and also is so light and has such narrow tires it requires constant micro adjustment in any sort of windy weather. It's very noticeable when you have the mirage and a much larger heavier more powerful vehicle also. I still love my mirage but it's not a great high speed long distance commuter

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (07-12-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Yeah it has soft suspension and also is so light and has such narrow tires it requires constant micro adjustment in any sort of windy weather. It's very noticeable when you have the mirage and a much larger heavier more powerful vehicle also. I still love my mirage but it's not a great high speed long distance commuter
    True its a city car through and through. Ive done 2 1000+ miles roadtrips in the hatch and the sedan. The sedan fairs a little better and if your doing 75 mph with AC ON the mpg goes down to the high 30s. But Ill take that anyday over my old Outback that barely managed 21 mpg highway lol. I did pull over every 2 hours to stretch, that helps alot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts

I think the reasoning here is that this particular early CVT may be really hard to find in usable condition ten years from now. And if you have no plans to sell the car, why not spend $400 now a good CVT with 18k on it?

Just as a point of reference, one of my vehicles is a 27-year-old Ford Explorer. It has never even been in a fender-bender. My mom still drives the 2006 Toyota Corolla she bought new in the fall of '05.

Not all cars are going to wind up totaled when they are 7 years old!