Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly another cvt on it's way out (@ 128k km / 80k miles)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Possibly another cvt on it's way out (@ 128k km / 80k miles)

Dirk is gonna love this!

I might have another cvt problem starting to arise. m can't find where I posted that one. I'll try to look into that more and see if it's the same car.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 08:01 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-07-2019),MetroMPG (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    From what I can tell, the Jatco CVT-7 in the Mirage is as reliable as CVTs get. Are there any cars out there with CVTs that outlast this?

Even the CVT is a good value for those who prefer an automatic versus a manual transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If this thing is gonna crap out I'd like it to happen before warranty is up. If it lasts past then great!
    Did you just sabotage your plans?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Blackstone labs tests transmission fluid (info here). It would be interesting to see an analysis of untouched, factory CVT fluid at the point it is due for a recommended fluid change (is that 30K or 60K miles?!?). I'm thinking that a few CVT oil sample tests would paint a pretty good picture of what is going on inside these things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-05-2019),MetroMPG (07-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Blackstone labs tests transmission fluid (info here). It would be interesting to see an analysis of untouched, factory CVT fluid at the point it is due for a recommended fluid change (is that 30K or 60K miles?!?). I'm thinking that a few CVT oil sample tests would paint a pretty good picture of what is going on inside these things.
    Yeah, all the car's I
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Yeah yeah

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

Yeah,
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    From what I can tell, the Jatco CVT-7 in the Mirage is as reliable as CVTs get. Are there any cars out there with CVTs that outlast this?

Even the CVT is a good value for those who prefer an automatic versus a manual transmission.

I'm pretty sure the Prius runs a cvt and those go well over 200k. I'm sure there are plenty over 300k but I'm not in that circle so not sure.

Public service announcement for our American neighbours: Don't forget that Fummins reports in Metric, so 128k on this CVT = 80k miles.

Mitsu's powertrain warranty in Canada goes to 160k km = 100k miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Toyota hybrid CVT's (AKA "power split devices") are actually a very different design compared to the JATCO ones.

The JATCO type in the Mirage primarily uses steel belts and variable diameter pulleys, plus a torque converter and 2-speed subgearbox to change ratios.

Toyotas (and Ford's) hybrids use actual gear sets directly connected to the various parts of the system (electric motor, generator & engine). In that sense, they're even simpler than a manual transmission (gears always stay meshed -- no shifting), which is one reason they're so reliable -- it's just gears turning in oil:

Name:  17-12-14-lexus-hybrid-planetary-gear.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  84.7 KB

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car7.htm

Honda has switched to a geared CVT in its latest hybrids. Their hybrids used to run belt-and-pulley CVT's, but no longer.

Toyota has introduced a new variation of the belt-and-pulley style CVT for its conventional gasoline cars that uses a direct-geared "first gear" for responsiveness when starting from a stop. Then it shifts to the belt and pulleys after the car is moving. The new Corolla uses it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Pryme (07-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Toyota has introduced a new variation of the belt-and-pulley style CVT for its conventional gasoline cars that uses a direct-geared "first gear" for responsiveness when starting from a stop. Then it shifts to the belt and pulleys after the car is moving. The new Corolla uses it.

Is this the transmission they had to recall or something much better?

"Toyota recently announced a recall of about 3,400 of the recently-released 2019 Corolla hatchbacks due to a faulty component in these hatchbacks' continuously variable transmission (CVT). If this CVT component fails while the Corolla is moving, the vehicle could lose power, increasing the risk of a crash."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Toyota hybrid CVT's (AKA "power split devices") are actually a very different design compared to the JATCO ones.

Toyotas (and Ford's) hybrids use actual gear sets directly connected to the various parts of the system (electric motor, generator & engine). In that sense, they're even simpler than a manual transmission (gears always stay meshed -- no shifting), which is one reason they're so reliable -- it's just gears turning in oil:
    If this transmission is so simple, do you think it has filters & the need for frequent oil changes?

As far as that part goes, manuals are pretty simple. Drop the oil and refill until it drips from the top refill hole.