Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Im having issues with the defrost during summer storms

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I wish you guys with those auto climate controls would get this figured out soon!!!!!

We actually had this same discussion some time ago. Steve even added a youtube clip showing how A/C & heat cleared his windows extremely fast, & Steve lives in the south. Steve has an older Mirage, & all of the 2014-15 models have the same climate controls. He must be on vacation in some exotic part of the world? Otherwise, Steve would be chiming in.

Some cars with manual climate controls will automatically turn on the A/C when you click to full windshield defrost with full heat. I know my Honda vehicles did this. The Mirage & my Subaru do not. I control that function, which I prefer much better! In my old Honda CRV, the A/C came on within the full defrost was turned on year round. You want warm/dry air blowing in your car. It dries out the moisture. You probably don't want to be recirculating your air during this either.

"Never Get Foggy Car Windows Again" - If you know way more than Scotty Kilmer & just plain dislike the guy, please do not watch the clip below. I hate it when a discussion becomes about him rather than the information he presents. If you don't like his presentation, find a better one to share. Seriously, don't watch this if you don't like him. It's for those who may appreciate the information, & I am just trying to be helpful (not annoy someone).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68nBPYA9lU

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I wish you guys with those auto climate controls would get this figured out soon!!!!!

We actually had this same discussion some time ago. Steve even added a youtube clip showing how A/C & heat cleared his windows extremely fast, & Steve lives in the south. Steve has an older Mirage, & all of the 2014-15 models have the same climate controls. He must be on vacation in some exotic part of the world? Otherwise, Steve would be chiming in.

Some cars with manual climate controls will automatically turn on the A/C when you click to full windshield defrost with full heat. I know my Honda vehicles did this. The Mirage & my Subaru do not. I control that function, which I prefer much better! In my old Honda CRV, the A/C came on within the full defrost was turned on year round. You want warm/dry air blowing in your car. It dries out the moisture. You probably don't want to be recirculating your air during this either.

"Never Get Foggy Car Windows Again" - If you know way more than Scotty Kilmer & just plain dislike the guy, please do not watch the clip below. I hate it when a discussion becomes about him rather than the information he presents. If you don't like his presentation, find a better one to share. Seriously, don't watch this if you don't like him. It's for those who may appreciate the information, & I am just trying to be helpful (not annoy someone).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68nBPYA9lU
    No I watch Scotty. Im not thrilled about how he dumps on Mitsubishi all the time, but its his opinion and channel. Ill watch it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    No I watch Scotty. Im not thrilled about how he dumps on Mitsubishi all the time, but its his opinion and channel. Ill watch it.
    I respect his experience & love his passion, but I don't agree with everything his says, too. Silent observers read what we put here, too. I try to share stuff that may be helpful to the masses, but I don't get everything right either!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-07-2019 at 04:26 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I'm with the guys suggesting adding heat to the defog in a summer storm. I've noticed that if the defog is too cold the fog will actually be forming on the outside of the windshield instead of the inside.
    Good point, and I've noticed that happening on Speck every now and then. But I wouldn't expect this to happen during a rain of any magnitude as the rain & the wipers would clear that condensation on the outside of the glass.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I just blow cold A/C on my windshield on a warm, muggy, wet day, I will always get condensation on the outside of the windshield. The cold air makes the windshield colder & that causes the water vapor to condense on the windshield. This is true of all vehicles I have owned. In some cases, it may require the use of wipers when it isn't raining outside.

If I want to reduce moisture, a combination of heat along with A/C is best. This is why some manufacturers have the A/C automatically turn on even when manual climate controls are used. Yes, you can turn the A/C right back off, but it will automatically turn on in some cars when in full defrost (even during the winter months). Nothing clears a windshield faster than heat & an A/C mix. A clean windshield helps, too!

If want to dry my hair, I don't crank up the A/C in my house. I take a blow dryer, & it throws hot air on my head. In a minute or so, my hair is good to go. Very efficient!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If want to dry my hair, I don't crank up the A/C in my house. I take a blow dryer, & it throws hot air on my head. In a minute or so, my hair is good to go. Very efficient!
    A dehumidifier makes a very efficient clothes dryer, and they don't remove as much fabric (lint) so clothes can last longer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    A dehumidifier makes a very efficient clothes dryer, and they don't remove as much fabric (lint) so clothes can last longer.
    It's funny you say that. I hang my clothes on lines in my basement where the dehumidifier sits. I don't do every load (like socks & underwear) that way, but most loads are done that way. I should have a clothesline outside, but this works for me year round. Wood fireplace with a blower downstairs dries them even faster!

I'm too lazy to read the entire thread. When I want to defog windows, I crank the heat, turn ac button ON put it on defrost and make sure recirculate is OFF. I've had drivers in the winter or fall complain that the window are constantly. They usually have the heat set to vent with ac off and recirculate on.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (07-08-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm too lazy to read the entire thread. When I want to defog windows, I crank the heat, turn ac button ON put it on defrost and make sure recirculate is OFF. I've had drivers in the winter or fall complain that the window are constantly. They usually have the heat set to vent with ac off and recirculate on.
    You summed it up all quite well, & saved yourself some reading!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-08-2019 at 07:35 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-08-2019)

Reading is for the birds. Instructions aren't meant to be read until it's broken.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)