Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Im having issues with the defrost during summer storms

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Im having issues with the defrost during summer storms

Im having issues with the defrost during these summer storms.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think it's fair to say the Mirage is one of the more simplistic new cars on the road today for sure. My car is a 2013 build, so a 2020 or beyond Mirage is that much more retro. Also sorta a kinda Volkswagen Beetle like economical car.

My biggest beef with my Mirage after 5 and a half years of owning one now, is not the slower powertrain, or the small size making it you have to be more careful driving.

My biggest beef with my Mirage is the car's ride in wintertime driving. Not the handling part, but the ride. The car is just too puny to take the sort of jarringly bad roads my neck of the woods can have, especially on road closure scenarios.
    Wouldn't it be great if the Mirage excelled at everything! It blew away the competition.

Best ride in its class!
    Best mpg in its class!
    Most hp in its class!
    Best towing capacity in its class!
    Most room for its class!
    Most modern features in its class!
    Most reliable in its class!
    Best looking vehicle in its class!
    If I miss something, please add to the list!

Let's say the Mirage did all those things, what price would you put on it?

I've come to conclusion, a perfect vehicle that can do it all will never exist.

I wanted a cheap, reliable, economy car & I bought a Mirage.
    I wanted AWD/5-speed manual for bad winter roads & some towing capacity, & I bought a slightly used Forester.

If I could own one vehicle that was reliable/economical as the Mirage & had the capabilities of an AWD Subaru, that's the one vehicle that would be in my garage.

The Mirage excels at what it does, but it surely can't do everything!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I think that is the first symptom of a CVT starting to fail?

Sorry, Dirk! It's fun yanking someone's chain sometimes!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think that is the first symptom of a CVT starting to fail?

Sorry, Dirk! It's fun yanking someone's chain sometimes!
    Well if it does fail Im screwed. We cant afford a $5k new cvt and my model 2014 is an early one, meaning the part is different from all the others and much harder to find used. I bought it used with no idea how the previous owner abused it. The service records have big gaps. The fluid looks nice and green with the flush I had done at the dealership. Fingers crossed I can get at least 175k miles out of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't speak for those of you that have the fancy, sophisticated auto climate controls, but I know what works on my manual climate controls.

I turn the dial selector to full windshield defrost, push the A/C button on, add a smidge of heat, fan on 2 or 3. The result is an clear windshield within about 10-15 seconds, & I am serious about the time! The windshield become clear in an almost an instant.

It's pretty simple to clear a fogged up windshield in my Mirage. I could do it blind-folded, but I don't think the others on the road would appreciate that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well if it does fail Im screwed. We cant afford a $5k new cvt and my model 2014 is an early one, meaning the part is different from all the others and much harder to find used. I bought it used with no idea how the previous owner abused it. The service records have big gaps. The fluid looks nice and green with the flush I had done at the dealership. Fingers crossed I can get at least 175k miles out of it.
    Sorry Dirk, my apologies. I should have never brought up the topic! I did share what works in my Mirage, however. I'm sure the auto climate control guys will chime in tomorrow & be more help!

Long live Dirk's CVT!!!!!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sorry Dirk, my apologies. I should have never brought up the topic! I did share what works in my Mirage, however. I'm sure the auto climate control guys will chime in tomorrow & be more help!

Long live Dirk's CVT!!!!!
    No apologies needed. Im schvitzing about the CVT all the time. Im already neurotic by nature (think Woody Allen or Larry David) so its only natural. lol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Anyone any recommendations for defogging using the automatic hvac controls. Im all ears. I got in a big storm tonight and everything fogged up fast. Defrost wasnt working all that great. It just automatically adjusted to 2 wind bars and fresh air, not recirculate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No apologies needed. Im schvitzing about the CVT all the time. Im already neurotic by nature (think Woody Allen or Larry David) so its only natural. lol
    If your fiancee ever comprehends how much a CVT torments you, she may let you buy a 5-speed manual next time?

By the way - Big wedding, small wedding? Should we email you our addresses to get an invite? Maybe Fummins would be willing to be your best man? Than again, you may have that covered already?

Let see - Are we off topic here yet? Probably, but I didn't bring up politics at least!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,128 Posts
    Do you use your A/C? I find it is a big help clearing the windows. That's one of the great benefits to having the automatic climate controls - just set your temperature and the controller will manage the airflow & whatnot. I like how it adjusts as the engine coolant comes up to temperature, for one quick example.

Haha - now I've read through all the other posts since you made yours!

I'll move it to a thread of it's own and keep the 2020 Mirage thread tidy.

Last edited by Eggman; 07-06-2019 at 11:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)