Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First road trip (got over 47 MPG!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

First road trip (got over 47 MPG!)

Pontiac, Michigan to Bristol, Tennessee.. 658.3 miles on 13.795 gallons of fuel for a little over 47 mpg!!!!!
    First leg, Pontiac to Cincinatti(actually about 10 miles in Kentucky) 306.3 miles on 7.202 gallons for roughly 42.5 mpg. Used Cruise Control exclusively, set at different speeds depending on traffic. 55/60/65 mph probably mostly avg 62 mph.
    Avg mpg gauge showed mostly a bit over 52 mpg, so I was disappointed with (hand calculated) 42.5 mpg.
    So, the second leg from Erlanger( I think) Kentucky to Bristol, I decided to drive without cruise control. Held as close to 60 mph as I could. Holding my foot as still as possible AND coasting in neutral on any downhill stretches I could.
    352 miles on 6.593 gallons for 53.38 mpg.
    Extremely pleased with results!!!!
    Air conditioning on the whole trip and 35 psi in tires. Under 1500 total miles on car.
    What an automobile!!!!

Last edited by Bristol; 07-09-2019 at 07:54 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bristol For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-09-2019),inuvik (07-07-2019),Marklovski (07-09-2019),MetroMPG (07-09-2019),smiba (07-09-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Total fuel bill $36.70

YES!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is awesome fuel economy. I don't use cruise control on my wife's Outlander GT because I am usually towing 3200lbs in our trailer abd cruise has no idea what gear to be in for climbing hills. I have found that I don't really miss having cruise control on my 2015 DE unless I am driving more than 4 hours at a time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    That's where the Mirage performs best - fuel efficiency.

It's easy to improve on those numbers, and it can become a challenge each time you drive.

Good job.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    What an automobile!!!!
    As a less expensive, non-hybrid car, it really does shine!

I really like the powertrain of the Mirage, & I am glad it's continuing into 2020. You did very well on your trip. I would be impressed if I were you, too!

Now that I have had the Mirage for some time it has really grown on me, too. It's a great little car! I especially have that feeling at the gas pump. Under $20 to fill the gas tank back up most of the time is a really nice perk!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Mark!
    This John that you emailed a few months back to answer a few question about your buying experience with White Bear.
    I had similiar experience with Richard. Great guy, straight forward. He got my 5spd down to $10,250 before taxes.
    My local dealer in Michigan got down to $10,500 before taxes.
    Out the door did between the two was $400. Local dealer had higher doc for and misc.
    For White Bear to deliver would have made it a wash(I'm 10 hours away). Thought about flying to Minn and driving 10 hours back, but made no sense and could not leave Mom alone.
    Just missed, by a few months getting $999 off for financing $10k. Would brought car down to $9,250 before taxes. NUTS!
    That was my goal, but, overall, content with final price.
    Car is all I was hoping/expecting it to be.
    Been driving little Isuzu diesels for years.
    I-mark 48 hp, 2300 pound car, best tank 54mpg.
    Isuzu trucks 58 hp best tank 42mpg. Isuzu 4wd diesel truck best tank 30 mpg.
    Mirage beats them all, including rabbit diesel I had, best tank 48mpg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Otd price dif was $400

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All my old diesel were bought well used.
    First brand new ride in 35 years

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Answering my phone from the steering wheel? Are you kidding me!
    LOVE this car!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol View Post
    Hey Mark!
    This John that you emailed a few months back to answer a few question about your buying experience with White Bear.
    I had similiar experience with Richard. Great guy, straight forward. He got my 5spd down to $10,250 before taxes.
    My local dealer in Michigan got down to $10,500 before taxes.
    Out the door did between the two was $400. Local dealer had higher doc for and misc.
    For White Bear to deliver would have made it a wash(I'm 10 hours away). Thought about flying to Minn and driving 10 hours back, but made no sense and could not leave Mom alone.
    Just missed, by a few months getting $999 off for financing $10k. Would brought car down to $9,250 before taxes. NUTS!
    That was my goal, but, overall, content with final price.
    Car is all I was hoping/expecting it to be.
    Been driving little Isuzu diesels for years.
    I-mark 48 hp, 2300 pound car, best tank 54mpg.
    Isuzu trucks 58 hp best tank 42mpg. Isuzu 4wd diesel truck best tank 30 mpg.
    Mirage beats them all, including rabbit diesel I had, best tank 48mpg.
    John -
    This is awesome to hear! I think you got a great price regardless. I can't imagine getting a new 2019 for $9250 before taxes, but I try to tell people great deals exist if you do your homework. At $9,250 (& financing $10,000), they would have been almost writing you a check to take the car off their hands! That may sound nuts, but I was only $153.73 from that myself. You jump through whatever hoop they put before you! Given how the Mirage has evolved since 2014, I really like your car! The 2019 ES (manual) is a great package in my mind.

I am glad to hear Richard was helpful to you. If it wasn't for him, I am not sure I would have bought a Mirage. 5 minutes on the phone with him erased any doubts that I had concerning the car & his dealership. Since my purchase, I think Richard has become the owner of White Bear Mitsubishi. Richard sold me a car, & I still haven't met him in person. That's pretty amazing!

It sounds like you are off to a great start with your new car! A highly discounted Mirage is a great value, & you are already seeing that! For whatever reason, the 1.2L engine & 5-speed manual powertrain go well together. They definitely outperform what mpg are listed for the car. I hope you keep enjoying your Mirage, & we continue to hear more from you!

Last edited by Mark; 07-08-2019 at 01:21 AM.