Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can Anybody Help With Mann & Hummel Oil filter?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I've run four filters. Stock, wix, M1 and fram ultra synthetic. All but the fram ultra have a bit of rattle upon start up.

I have a couple wix xp synthetic filters on the shelf to try still.
    Never heard of hamm but maybe they just are not in the states.
    Hi Pryme, they do Mann & Hummel filters in the US, see link. I believe they took over Purolator or something.
    https://www.mann-filter.com/en/mann-...dealer/?...usa

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I've run four filters. Stock, wix, M1 and fram ultra synthetic. All but the fram ultra have a bit of rattle upon start up.

I have a couple wix xp synthetic filters on the shelf to try still.
    Never heard of hamm but maybe they just are not in the states.
    Mann + Hummel own & sell Purolator, Wix, & Bosch filters in the U.S. Thus, their presence is definitely here!

I have been using the Purolator ONE oil filters, & it is their mid-range filter (10,000 mile rated). I change them out @ 5,000 mile oil change intervals. If I went beyond 5,000 mile oil change intervals, I would use the Purolator BOSS. The BOSS is a very heavy duty well made oil filter. Unlike most business take overs, I feel Mann + Hummel may have improved Purolator products. Purolator also makes oil filters for my compact diesel tractor, Kawasaki Mule, John Deere riding lawnmower (Kawasaki engine). Thus, I find myself buying Purolator filters for most everything.

I would have no problem using the Fram Ultra Synthetic filter on my Mirage. From everything I have seen they are an excellent product for the money.

I think RockAuto.com does a good job of ranking products, & their prices reflect their rankings somewhat. Their top 3 rated synthetic oil filter choices for the Mirage are the Wix XP, Fram Ultra Synthetic, and Bosch Distance Plus (Bosch being the most expensive). RockAuto.com doesn't carry Purolator products. From the research I have done, the Purolator Boss appears to be one of the better oil filters on the market today. It is also slightly more expensive than any oil filters sold by RockAuto.com.

Wix XP, Bosch Distance Plus, & Purolator BOSS are MANN & + HUMMEL products.

Pulling a Purolator ONE oil filter out of the box, its fine print label states -

MANN + HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC.
    Fayetteville, NC 28306
    Made in USA

The fine print reveals these are MANN + HUMMEL products even though the average person may not have heard of this company in the U.S.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say they name car's differently around the world in some cases cause the words might have different meaning depending on where you go. Space star is still better than a Mitsubishi Lettuce
    You are more on the mark here than you may realize when it comes to our favorite little car. The Mirage sedan is called the "G4" in the Philippines, and also here in the US as well. In other SE Asian countries it is called the "Attrage". The change was made because in Filipino 'attrage' sounds like 'atras'...which means "going backwards"!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-17-2019)

I can't figure out how to post a rainbow shooting out of a unicorns butt. This'll have to do Attachment 15039

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    You are more on the mark here than you may realize when it comes to our favorite little car. The Mirage sedan is called the "G4" in the Philippines, and also here in the US as well. In other SE Asian countries it is called the "Attrage". The change was made because in Filipino 'attrage' sounds like 'atras'...which means "going backwards"!
    Mitsubishi has an unfortunate history of poorly checking new product names and marketing cars under impossible names.

In Europe, "Mirage" has been registered since the 7o's for practically anything that moves. See Dassault Mirage.

In some parts of Europe, "Pajero" is slang for a masturbating male. See Mitsubishi Pajero.
    Last edited by foama; 07-17-2019 at 05:24 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Mitsubishi has an unfortunate history of poorly checking new product names and marketing cars under impossible names.

In Europe, "Mirage" has been registered since the 7o's for practically anything that moves. See Dassault Mirage.

In some parts of Europe, "Pajero" is slang for a masturbating male. See Mitsubishi Pajero.
    I agree that Mitsubishi doesn't show a lot of creativity with names. The Eclipse Cross is a prime example. Not that Eclipse Cross is a horrible name in itself. People just associate Mitsubishi Eclipse with something else.

There's nothing wrong with bringing back a name, but when Chevy brought back the Impala years ago we knew it was going to be a sedan. Likewise, when Ford brought back the Ranger we knew it was going to be a pickup truck.

But what about this thing? Attachment 15040 "Cool, you have a nova. Oh wait it's an 80's one? Those are not cool"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    But what about this thing? "Cool, you have a nova. Oh wait it's an 80's one? Those are not cool"
    1980's Nova had more genetics coming from the Chevy Citation than the original Nova that's for sure!!! Not my favorite car look even when they were new!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Hi Pryme, they do Mann & Hummel filters in the US, see link. I believe they took over Purolator or something.
    https://www.mann-filter.com/en/mann-...dealer/?...usa
    The discussion of oil filters comes up at various times. Over the past few years, I noticed Purolator improved their product line. Purolator is an American oil filter company that is now owned by Mann + Hummel. I believe the relationship with Mann + Hummel may be behind some of these improvements.

Wix XP, Bosch Distance Plus, & Purolator Boss appear to be some of the better (best) oil filters offered in the U.S. market, & these are companies all owned by MANN + HUMMEL. The Fram Ultra Synthetic seems to be another high quality oil filter on the market, but it has no connections with Mann + Hummel.

In an effort to answer someone's question about who makes Purolator oil filters a bit ago, I stumbled upon this short clip. Some may see this as just an ad. If so, it's still extremely well done. You aren't going to question who is behind making their filters at least. Purolator takes pride in WHO makes their oil filters, & WHERE their oil filters are made.

"The People Behind the Oil Filter at Purolator"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I73fnbq5arM

If you change your oil/filter every 5,000 miles, the Purolator Boss oil filter may be more filter than you need. I am in that camp myself. Since I prefer 5,000 mile oil/filter changes, I choose to use their Purolator ONE oil filter. Once again, some may take this as just an ad. I see it as a company that is extremely proud of a product they are producing in North Carolina.

"The Story Behind Innovating a Next Generation Oil Filter – PurolatorBOSS"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbWmuNLlGk

I am not slamming other products that are out there. I've just noticed this connection in the past month or so. Some of our better made oil filters sold in the U.S. come from companies owned by MANN + HAMMEL.