Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: City fuel economy - just wondering (getting 6.8L/100 Km = 35 mpg US/14.7 km/L)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question City fuel economy - just wondering (getting 6.8L/100 Km = 35 mpg US/14.7 km/L)

Alright i was wondering about my fuel economy.

Approx 1400Km on dial 5sp manual equipped with winter tires and size 175/65/r14 ( both winter tires and wider tires create more rolling resistance).

Looking at my AVG B gauge it says about 6.8l per 100Km ( I drive mostly city ) ... [Admin edit: that works out to 35 mpg US / 14.7 km/L for people who prefer those measurements.]

Is this alright? i have been looking at other posts and I know the engine and components might not be fully broken in yet.

are those numbers right? looking at my cost at the pump, i would say it's right but just want to hear everyone's opinion

Thanks in advance!

6.8L/100Km = 35 mpg US = 14.7 km/L

Can you describe what your typical driving is like? Distance, speed, traffic (stop and go?), etc.

It seems a bit thirstier than it should be to me, but it's probably within the range of what a normal driver would see in early winter weather, with those snow tires on.

EDIT: that said, you are beating the U.S. EPA city rating for the car, which is 34 mpg.

When I did the urban comparison drive of the CVT to the 5-speed, I got 4.9L/100 km (48 mpg US = 20.4 km/L) with the 5-speed. You can see the route here: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

Traffic was moderate. Factory tires, cool conditions (about 5 C).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    During the week I do about 20 kms per day on low traffic with your average amount of traffic lights and stop signs at around 50km/h I was expecting an AVG 5.5~5.8l/100km but 6.8 seems a bit high. but during weekends that i do mostly highway i reset my avg and i fall around 5.1 at 100km/h approx (No cruise so have to keep it as steady as possible) also if it helps mostly HW and a bit of city driving i got 530 Kms on a tank. Mostly city i fall at 420Kms

Well, 6.8 is fairly normal in city use, going by the EPA rating (which is more realistic than the Canadian rating).

I'd be curious to see your driving style -- that's the biggest factor.

You probably already know that in city driving, the key to good economy is minimizing brake use (coasting as much as possible instead of waiting to the last minute to let off the gas and press the brake); also getting into the highest gear you can use after accelerating.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

One thing to consider as winter deepens:

Your fuel economy will drop further, especially on the days you only drive 20 km. Short trips with a cold engine are where all cars see the worst efficiency.

It wouldn't be unusual to see 10-15% worse consumption for the *same* trip driven on a warm summer day and a cold winter day.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree I'm possibly over reacting i'll keep an eye on it and post back if I really see or think anything is wrong.
    Last edited by Darkfly600; 11-23-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: my spelling rocks... :P

If you're ever going west past Brockville, and you want to try an eco-driving "clinic", just let me know. I'd be happy to see if there's any advice I can give you to adjust the nut behind the wheel.

I have given one-on-one economy driving sessions to numerous people, and the average driver's improvement is around 14%.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-23772.html

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Can you describe what your typical driving is like? Distance, speed, traffic (stop and go?), etc.

It seems a bit thirstier than it should be to me, but it's probably within the range of what a normal driver would see in cool weather, and with the snow tires on.

EDIT: that said, you are beating the U.S. EPA city rating for the car, which is 34 mpg.

When I did the urban comparison drive of the CVT to the 5-speed, I got 4.9L/100 km (48 mpg US = 20.4 km/L) with the 5-speed. You can see the route here: Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

Traffic was moderate.
    the us epa only 34? wow thats low ...whats the new rating then for the prius? also 34?

Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    the us epa only 34? wow thats low ...whats the new rating then for the prius? also 34?
    The Prius C and Prius liftback both have around a 50 MPG US EPA city rating. But those cars have the massive advantage in city driving of stopping the combustion engine at any speed (when releasing the accelerator) and using 100% electric propulsion at low loads & speeds up to low 40's mph.

If you were to stop the Mirage's engine every time you let off the gas in city driving (ie. while still in motion, coasting), it would probably also get around 50 MPG.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Darkfly600 (12-03-2013)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I too can't get a lot of it in the city, i tried lots of coasting and minimizing brakes but Dutch drivers in the hague are such an impatient bunch they get pissed behind me and started doing dangerous things/manoeuvre.
    I usually get somewhere around 6.0 - 6.5 L / 100KM

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

Darkfly600 (12-05-2013)